Close

    • New C63 Black Series AMG coupe spyphotos - M157 twin turbo V8 rumors continue

      The previous C63 Black Series spyphotos we showed you last month were of the sedan. This brought into question if they were focusing on the sedan or if the coupe had been abandoned. It is quite clear now Mercedes is working on Black Series versions of both. Photographers did look under the hood and it seems the 571 horsepower performance package version of the M157 twin turbo 5.5 liter V8 may make it to production. If so, game over, we bow in respect, and sign us up.









      This article was originally published in forum thread: New C63 Black Series AMG coupe spyphotors - M157 twin turbo V8 rumors continue started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
        Could me more than one for sure. Based on MB's history with BS models it would make sense to use a M156 though. SLK BS, CLK BS, SL BS all used out or ongoing variants of previous years models. Shoehorning a new and fairly untested by comparison engine into a BS model doesn't seem like the AMG thing to do. JMHO.
        I think the pictures clearly show an M156 and that would agree with what you are saying. However, Insideline just confirmed in a report that the M157 is being testing. Honestly, I think no one really knows at this point including Mercedes. It makes sense that both are being tested.

        The M275 isn't exactly the most reliable powerplant but they stuck it in a Black Series.
      1. Barfly's Avatar
        Barfly -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think the pictures clearly show an M156 and that would agree with what you are saying. However, Insideline just confirmed in a report that the M157 is being testing. Honestly, I think no one really knows at this point including Mercedes. It makes sense that both are being tested.

        The M275 isn't exactly the most reliable powerplant but they stuck it in a Black Series.
        In reality the M275 is a truck engine but it gets the job done. At this point M275s don't eat themselves in stock form, the same can't be said about M157s due to the injectors and pistons. The pistons will be the mechanical limiting factor in the bottom end of M157s as they are in pretty much all forced induction MBZ or AMGs. As for the injectors let's just hope it was a few bad batches.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
        In reality the M275 is a truck engine but it gets the job done. At this point M275s don't eat themselves in stock form, the same can't be said about M157s due to the injectors and pistons. The pistons will be the mechanical limiting factor in the bottom end of M157s as they are in pretty much all forced induction MBZ or AMGs. As for the injectors let's just hope it was a few bad batches.
        Has something been seen from the M157 up to this point to think for some reason it wouldn't be a reliable choice? What is wrong with the pistons?

        I think I'm going to learn toward M156 for this car but who knows, I would love to see something different.
      1. Barfly's Avatar
        Barfly -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Has something been seen from the M157 up to this point to think for some reason it wouldn't be a reliable choice? What is wrong with the pistons?

        I think I'm going to learn toward M156 for this car but who knows, I would love to see something different.
        They just aren't high quality, they are cast but word is not even on par with the old 55K pistons. Again this would be MB not letting the 63 potentially outrun the 65.

        I think since it's an open track car the M156 would be more fitting, especially with some SLS upgrades. Time will tell.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
        They just aren't high quality, they are cast but word is not even on par with the old 55K pistons. Again this would be MB not letting the 63 potentially outrun the 65.
        Does the performance package change internals at all?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
        I think since it's an open track car the M156 would be more fitting, especially with some SLS upgrades. Time will tell.
        They have already done the M156 in two iterations a third seems redundant. I just hope it really raises the bar either way.
      1. Barfly's Avatar
        Barfly -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Does the performance package change internals at all?
        Nope.


        They have already done the M156 in two iterations a third seems redundant. I just hope it really raises the bar either way.
        I just hope they do one with the M159/SLS Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Barfly Click here to enlarge
        I just hope they do one with the M159/SLS
        How does the M159 differ from say the M156 P31?
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        How does the M159 differ from say the M156 P31?

        this was from another thread when I asked the diff between m156 and m159


        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
        You can use SLS heads with a M156 intake manifold, they have 40mm int. valves and 34mm exhaust valves vs 40/33 for M156 heads, however ported M156 heads will flow better than stock SLS heads, so it's kind of a toss up as to which is more cost effective. Ported SLS heads would be the way to go but also the most expensive and we are talking about Maybe 10-15hp difference. The castings are just so good from the factory.



        It has over 170 changes, dry sump, cams, rotating assembly, heads, intake manifold, TB placement, exhaust manifolds, etc. SLS's actually make 600HP stock. A good tune will net another 35HP+ or so. SLS is a 2013 viper chassis essentially so there's a lot more room under that hood plus the dry sump lowers the engine enough that the taller manifold fits. The rot assembly (crank, pistons, rods, rings) is .5 kilo lighter with P31/SLS bottom end vs M156 but static CR is the same 11.3:1 so all the power comes from software not the bottom end. Heads, cams will work but that's about it hardware wise.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        this was from another thread when I asked the diff between m156 and m159
        Thank you Sammy.