Close

    • New Porsche 981 Cayman spotted doing final testing - Video

      The 981 Cayman is wrapping up final testing and we hope for the official reveal in the next couple months. A spy photographer captured it here wearing minimal camouflage. The Cayman will share the drivetrain of the new 981 Boxster so no surprises here. The Cayman S will have a 3.4 liter flat-6 with 315 horsepower (maybe a 5 HP boost) and the Cayman will have a 2.7 liter with 265 horsepower. Check out our renderings here to get an idea of what the finished product will look like.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: New Porsche 981 Cayman spotted doing final testing - Video started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 17 Comments
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Do want
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Same here. This is going to be a super hot car.

        If they only gave it the Carrera S 3.8 or at least made that an option.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        that is ridiculously good looking.
      1. whoosh's Avatar
        whoosh -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Same here. This is going to be a super hot car.

        If they only gave it the Carrera S 3.8 or at least made that an option.
        They will never put a motor with 911 power into the Boxster/Cayman models. At least not from the 911 "S" line. Click here to enlarge

        Let's just hope that much of the driver aid junk that's in the 991 is left out from the 981.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        They will never put a motor with 911 power into the Boxster/Cayman models. At least not from the 911 "S" line. Click here to enlarge

        Let's just hope that much of the driver aid junk that's in the 991 is left out from the 981.
        I doubt I am the only one wondering this but I bet the 3.6 and 3.8 are the same block. The crank, pistons, rods, and heads may all work...
      1. SSO95's Avatar
        SSO95 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
        They will never put a motor with 911 power into the Boxster/Cayman models. At least not from the 911 "S" line. Click here to enlarge

        Let's just hope that much of the driver aid junk that's in the 991 is left out from the 981.
        I would think that the new Cayman would have all of the driver aid that the new Boxster would have, same motors too? I guess time will tell.
      1. jspirate's Avatar
        jspirate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I doubt I am the only one wondering this but I bet the 3.6 and 3.8 are the same block. The crank, pistons, rods, and heads may all work...
        If its the same block how can the crank, pistons and rods work on a different displacement engine?

        Disclaimer: I know little about the Porsche engines, so maybe I am missing something here?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
        If its the same block how can the crank, pistons and rods work on a different displacement engine?

        Disclaimer: I know little about the Porsche engines, so maybe I am missing something here?
        I would assume different bore and stroke? I think these direct injection flat-6 platforms are modular.
      1. jspirate's Avatar
        jspirate -
        Can't get a feel for the lines in that video (black paint I guess). As for the red one in the pic, that is pure car wood!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
        If its the same block how can the crank, pistons and rods work on a different displacement engine?

        Disclaimer: I know little about the Porsche engines, so maybe I am missing something here?
        Here:

        The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera, codenamed 991 for no particular reason other than Porsche is running out of codenames beginning with '9, and this one was still available, for now available as a rear-drive coupe but soon to be joined by a full pipeline of variants. The standard Carrera uses a direct-injection 3.4-litre 350bhp flat-six de-stroked from the old 3.6-litre for fuel savings, while the Carrera S has a 394bhp 3.8-litre that is mostly carry-over.
        So the Carrera and the Cayman S will have basically the exact same motor with different tunes. Clearly the stroke can be increased in it. I'm just wondering how close the 3.6 and 3.8 are.

        A cool upgrade may be the 3.8 crank and rods...
      1. jspirate's Avatar
        jspirate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Here:



        So the Carrera and the Cayman S will have basically the exact same motor with different tunes. Clearly the stroke can be increased in it. I'm just wondering how close the 3.6 and 3.8 are.

        A cool upgrade may be the 3.8 crank and rods...
        I'll buy that. A different crank would give you a longer stroke and this would up displacement (and probably torque). I understand what you were saying now.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
        I'll buy that. A different crank would give you a longer stroke and this would up displacement (and probably torque). I understand what you were saying now.
        Check this out, they both actually have the same stroke and crank. The only difference is the bore.
      1. jspirate's Avatar
        jspirate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Check this out, they both actually have the same stroke and crank. The only difference is the bore.
        Well, I guess that helps with RPMs. So, I guess the block isn't the same? I can't see Porsche using sleeves...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
        Well, I guess that helps with RPMs. So, I guess the block isn't the same? I can't see Porsche using sleeves...
        No, it is the same. All the 9A1 motors (direct injected) seem to use the same block. Same crank, same rods, just different pistons/bores.
      1. jspirate's Avatar
        jspirate -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, it is the same. All the 9A1 motors (direct injected) seem to use the same block. Same crank, same rods, just different pistons/bores.
        Errr, I guess I meant it isn't machined the same. Maybe the core starts out the same, but after that, it goes through a different machining process.

        Again, I know little about Porsche, but I am guessing that the initial bore is for the smaller displacement and then they bore the block out for the extra 0.2 cc? I am truly clueless when it comes to the Porsche engines. Back in the day sleeves were used. I don't think they are anymore though...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jspirate Click here to enlarge
        Errr, I guess I meant it isn't machined the same. Maybe the core starts out the same, but after that, it goes through a different machining process.

        Again, I know little about Porsche, but I am guessing that the initial bore is for the smaller displacement and then they bore the block out for the extra 0.2 cc? I am truly clueless when it comes to the Porsche engines. Back in the day sleeves were used. I don't think they are anymore though...
        It's fine, I am learning as well. Basically the blocks are all the same and just the bores are machined differently as you said. This makes it super easy to get the cayman to 3.8 or even push it to 4.0.

        I want one so badly now.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        if the old cayman was already nipping at the heels of the carrera, this thing must be amazing