• F1 2012 - Mercedes GP European Grand Prix Results - Schumacher Claims 3rd Place, Rosberg Finishes 6th

      Michael Schumacher regained form and silenced critics by claiming a surprise third place podium ahead of the charging RBR of Mark Webber at the Valencia Grand Prix. This is his first podium since the Chinese Grand Prix in 2006. Schumacher started 12th on the grid and made the most of the different strategies, safety car and a collision to claim the spot. He now holds the record for the oldest podium finisher since Jack Brabham in 1970. Nico Rosberg finished 6th in between the Force India Mercedes’ of Nico Hulkenburg and Paul Di Resta. But it was Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso that claimed the win in his home country. Renault’s Kimi Raikkonen took second. This is a first for 3 former Ferrari Champions to be on podium.


      The start of the race saw RBR’s Vettel storm away from pole and built a gap of over half a second from second place Hamilton in his Mclaren Mercedes. But that lead evaporated with the emergence of the safety car after the collision of Jean Eric Vergne ( Torro Rosso) and Heikki Kovalainen ( Caterham). At the restart Alonso overtook a napping Grosjean to claim second place. On the same lap, Vettel was forced to park his car to the side with an alternator problem, handing the lead to Alonso.

      During the closing laps of the race and after being passed by Renault’s Kimi Raikkonen, Hamiton was doing everything he could to nurse his Mclaren to the checkered flag and hold of Maldonado. With one lap remaining, Maldonado collided with Hamilton ending the Mclaren driver’s race. This collision handed Schumacher his podium finish, his 155th as a F1 driver.

      With this result, Michael now stands in 13th place, Nico is in 5th place in the Drivers Standings, and Mercedes AMG GP hold 5th place in the Constructors Championship

      Nico Rosberg,

      Michael Schumacher,

      Ross congratulated Michael and the team on a

      Norbert described Michael’s race as


      FULL RACE RESULTS After 57 of 57 laps
      Position Driver Team
      Race completed
      1 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
      2 Finland K Raikkonen Lotus
      3 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
      4 Australia M Webber Red Bull
      5 Germany N Hulkenberg Force India
      6 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
      7 Great Britain P Di Resta Force India
      8 Great Britain J Button McLaren
      9 Mexico S Perez Sauber
      10 Venezuela P Maldonado Williams
      11 Brazil B Senna Williams
      12 Australia D Ricciardo Toro Rosso
      13 Russian Federation V Petrov Caterham
      14 Finland H Kovalainen Caterham
      15 France C Pic Marussia
      16 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
      17 Spain P de la Rosa HRT
      18 India N Karthikeyan HRT
      19 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
      20 France R Grosjean (ret.) Lotus
      21 Germany S Vettel (ret.) Red Bull
      22 Japan K Kobayashi (ret.) Sauber
      23 France J Vergne (ret.) Toro Rosso
      24 Germany T Glock (ret.) Marussia
      This article was originally published in forum thread: F1 2012 - Mercedes GP European Grand Prix Results - Schumacher Claims 3rd Place, Rosberg Finishes 6th started by Scourge82 View original post
      Comments 17 Comments
      1. Scourge82's Avatar
        Scourge82 -
        Michael Schumacher regained form, silenced critics by claiming a surprise third place podium ahead of the charging RBR of Mark Webber at the Valencia Grand Prix. This is his first podium since the Chinese Grand Prix in 2006. Schumacher started 12th on the grid and made the most of the different strategies, safety car and a collision to claim the spot. He now holds the record for the oldest podium finisher since Jack Brabham in 1970. Nico Rosberg finished 6th in between the Force India Mercedes’ of Nico Hulkenburg and Paul Di Resta. But it was Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso that claimed the win in his home country. Renault’s Kimi Raikkonen took second. This is a first for 3 former Ferrari Champions to be on podium.

        The start of the race saw RBR’s Vettel storm away from pole and built a gap of over half a second from second place Hamilton in his Mclaren Mercedes. But that lead evaporated with the emergence of the safety car after the collision of Jean Eric Vergne ( Torro Rosso) and Heikki Kovalainen ( Caterham). At the restart Alonso overtook a napping Grosjean to claim second place. On the same lap, Vettel was forced to park his car to the side with an alternator problem, handing the lead to Alonso.

        During the closing laps of the race and after being passed by Renault’s Kimi Raikkonen, Hamiton was doing everything he could to nurse his Mclaren to the checkered flag and hold of Maldonado. With one lap remaining, Maldonado collided with Hamilton ending the Mclaren driver’s race. This collision handed Schumacher his podium finish, his 155th as a F1 driver.

        With this result, Michael now stands in 13th place, Nico is in 5th place in the Drivers Standings, and Mercedes AMG GP hold 5th place in the Constructors Championship

        Nico Rosberg,

        "That was a really exciting race. I had a bad first few laps and lost positions, then the Safety Car came out at a bad moment for me. After the restart, I thought I would end up finishing out of the points, because I had the oldest tyres and therefore no grip, which made it very hard to defend.
        We had planned to try a one-stop strategy but had to convert to two stops, and thanks to the strategy guys, we were on fresh tyres when everybody else was struggling. I was in P12 on lap 47 and P6 at the end, so it clearly worked and we are very happy with a good team result after such a chaotic race, with two cars in the top six.
        A great result for Michael with his podium and I am happy to score some more nice points."
        Michael Schumacher,

        Wow, I did not even think of getting on the podium for any second in the race today, so what a wonderful result!” said Michael after his wonderful result in Valencia. “Finally it happened! After such a long time waiting and for jumping on the podium so unexpectedly, I feel extra happy.
        I think that was the best answer to give to everybody who started doubting our work: get the car together and fight back; never give up, as anything can happen.
        A big thank you to the team and to everybody who kept on believing we would get on the podium again. That's what team work is about. A special word for my mechanics and engineers who have done a fantastic job this weekend after some difficult races this year.
        I didn't think a podium was possible - not even at the end of the race, because it was pretty busy in the last laps and I had lost count of where I was. Then when I crossed the line, I asked the guys where I was and they said "Third - on the podium!"
        It's one of those moments that you enjoy deeply as a driver. We were close a couple of times but it was great for it to happen in a spectacular race like this, through strategy and lots of passing on a circuit where overtaking is difficult."
        Ross congratulated Michael and the team on a

        “fantastic and well-deserved podium finish. Michael demonstrated today that if we can give him the opportunities, he will get a great result. And well done to Nico as well. He was in quite a difficult position at one stage but came back and gave the team a really strong points score today.
        The early part of the race was quite difficult for us, and our early strategy did not come together as the tyres behaved differently to our pre-race predictions. So we had to react, and we did so extremely well, leaving our stops as late as possible to give our guys fresh rubber at the end. It was such an exciting end to the race, and I am very proud of both of our drivers, everyone here in Valencia, and back at our factories in Brackley and Brixworth today."
        Norbert described Michael’s race as

        “marvellous with the right speed and the right strategy. Coming from 12th on the grid to third on the podium is a good achievement, which Michael truly deserves and he achieved that with a great drive.
        Nico started sixth and lost five places during the first lap, which was a big handicap - so to climb back to sixth place was a good recovery. Since his win in China, Nico has scored one point less than Fernando Alonso, who brought home the most points in the last six races. As for the rumour spread by another team that Michael used his DRS flap where he should not have done, I can confirm that this was not the case, as our data proved and the stewards of the meeting confirmed.
        I am really pleased for Michael and the team. We always believed in each other and today was the first of hopefully more podiums to follow."

        FULL RACE RESULTS After 57 of 57 laps
        Position Driver Team
        Race completed
        1 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
        2 Finland K Raikkonen Lotus
        3 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
        4 Australia M Webber Red Bull
        5 Germany N Hulkenberg Force India
        6 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
        7 Great Britain P Di Resta Force India
        8 Great Britain J Button McLaren
        9 Mexico S Perez Sauber
        10 Venezuela P Maldonado Williams
        11 Brazil B Senna Williams
        12 Australia D Ricciardo Toro Rosso
        13 Russian Federation V Petrov Caterham
        14 Finland H Kovalainen Caterham
        15 France C Pic Marussia
        16 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
        17 Spain P de la Rosa HRT
        18 India N Karthikeyan HRT
        19 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
        20 France R Grosjean (ret.) Lotus
        21 Germany S Vettel (ret.) Red Bull
        22 Japan K Kobayashi (ret.) Sauber
        23 France J Vergne (ret.) Toro Rosso
        24 Germany T Glock (ret.) Marussia


        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I don't know what I would do without you man. Way behind on articles so nice to have help, thanks Scourge.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
        Full report to follow
        I almost thought you would not make this report.
        The interrest in F1 here is pretty low right now.
        This race only got exiting after the safety car, but then it escallated into an amazing chain of events.
        For once Alonso deserved this win. He drove the wheels of that Ferrari, making some beautifull passes along the way.
        Funny MS finished 3rd. His comment later on was he was clueless what his position was when he passed the finish line.
        Grosjean drove a good race, and managed to hit no other cars, but was forced to park the car 2 rouns after Vettel did with an alternator malfunction.
        Actually the first Valencia race I thouroughly enjoyed.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Hamilton really screwed the pooch by not letting Moldanado through. Horrible move that likely cost them valuable points for the championship.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Hamilton really screwed the pooch by not letting Moldanado through. Horrible move that likely cost them valuable points for the championship.
        Maldanado was off the track with all 4 wheels, so there was no need for Hamilton to do anything.
        M just could not avoid a collision (so he said). Probably he just didn't want to give up his overtaking attempt.
        He was later penalised by the FIA with 20 seconds for this action.
        So, no, Maldonado screwed up.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Official responce FIA:

        Maldonado penalised over Hamilton clash 24 Jun 2012
        Williams’ Pastor Maldonado has had 20 seconds added to his race time by the European Grand Prix stewards after colliding with McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton on the penultimate lap in Valencia. As a result of the penalty, Maldonado drops from 10th to 12th in the final classification.

        The Venezuelan was penalised for ‘failing to rejoin the track in a safe manner’ after he ran off the circuit while attempting to pass Hamilton for third place. Their subsequent coming together put the Briton into the wall and out of the race.

        Maldonado’s penalty promotes team mate Bruno Senna to 10th in the race results, handing the Brazilian a championship point, while Toro Rosso’s Daniel Ricciardo moves up from 12th to 11th.
      1. Scourge82's Avatar
        Scourge82 -
        To be honest, sometimes I think what the hell. Most Americans have no clue what F1 is. They see the cars and think its CART or Indycar, which is far from it. It's a shame really, because F1 is the pinnacle of auto racing. But I think if we discuss it enough people will start watching and enjoying it. It's kinda hard though when the race are on very early for them.

        Maldonado really deserved a more sever punishment for what he did. It's not the first time he's gotten angry and pushed someone aside with his car and I really think he should have received a 10 place grid penalty or a 1 race ban.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Are you guys nuts ? Did you see what happened ?? Hamilton tires were SHOT and he was losing ground at every turn. So just because the FIA ruled in Hamilton's favor makes Maldanado wrong ?? LOL!!! Because the FIA has never made a mistake before ??? Please don't make me laugh. And you really don't think the fact that Hamilton is a former champion and Maldanado is the "new" guy had nothing to do with their ruling ?? Give me a break. EVERY announcer I heard said it was Hamilton's fault for not giving Maldanado enough room when he was CLEARLY faster.

        Part of racing is knowing when you are being overtaken by a faster car. Being a good driver is knowing that your tires are going away and you have to leave room for a faster car to overtake you so that you protect not only YOUR car but the other drivers cars. Hamilton should have let him through but his ego got the best of him and he was grasping at saving a position that would have CLEARLY been lost at the next turn.

        I don't give a $#@! what the FIA says...they rarely make good decision. I've been in that same situation many times and you HAVE to let the faster guy through or at the very least leave room for him to make his own mistake. Otherwise you end up with a DNF and ZERO points. Hamilton $#@!ed up, end of story.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Are you OK, LZH?
        Angry at someone?
        Relax man, no reason to call someone nuts.
        Fact of the matter is that Maldonado was off track when he T-boned Hammilton. So no matter what, he is always wrong.
        Yes, I saw the whole race. And all races before this race. And I've seen what Maldonado is capable of. Him and Grosjean are the do or die loose cannons of this season, coming to F1 with a Formula Ford kind of attitude, driving into someone almost every race.
        I agree with Scourge, a 10 place grid penalty would have been a better punishment.
        Yes, Hamilton was defending with degrading tires. So there probably were 50 more corners in the comingt 2 laps where Maldonado would have had a shot at overtaking.
        If he only have waited till the next DRS zone, Hamilton would have been defenseless.
        There was no point in doing that, and as a result both drivers lost a lot of points.

        Mika Salo was the driver who aided the stewards this race. He was part of the decisionmaking regarding all punishments.
        Are you angry with him as well?
        I have no clue what channel you listened to for commentary, but in my opinion your announcers are clueless to F1 rules.
        Hamilton has every right to defend his 3rd place within regulations. There is NO RULE wich says you should yield to a faster driver. It would not be motorracing if that was a rule now would it? It is not a trackday, it is a race.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        Are you OK, LZH?
        Angry at someone?
        Relax man, no reason to call someone nuts.
        Fact of the matter is that Maldonado was off track when he T-boned Hammilton. So no matter what, he is always wrong.
        Yes, I saw the whole race. And all races before this race. And I've seen what Maldonado is capable of. Him and Grosjean are the do or die loose cannons of this season, coming to F1 with a Formula Ford kind of attitude, driving into someone almost every race.
        I agree with Scourge, a 10 place grid penalty would have been a better punishment.
        Yes, Hamilton was defending with degrading tires. So there probably were 50 more corners in the comingt 2 laps where Maldonado would have had a shot at overtaking.
        If he only have waited till the next DRS zone, Hamilton would have been defenseless.
        There was no point in doing that, and as a result both drivers lost a lot of points.

        Mika Salo was the driver who aided the stewards this race. He was part of the decisionmaking regarding all punishments.
        Are you angry with him as well?
        I have no clue what channel you listened to for commentary, but in my opinion your announcers are clueless to F1 rules.
        Hamilton has every right to defend his 3rd place within regulations. There is NO RULE wich says you should yield to a faster driver. It would not be motorracing if that was a rule now would it? It is not a trackday, it is a race.
        I'm not angry, I just don't agree with you. Maldanado didn't "T-Bone" Hamilton either. They came together and were SIDE BY SIDE. When another car (that is clearly faster than you) has the inside position on you, it's usually a good idea to concede the position. Sure, there is no rule that states this, it's just common sense and part of being a good driver is knowing when you are beaten and to not force the position - otherwise you end up out of the race like Hamilton did. And since you mention this was not a "track day" but a "race" - what is THE most important thing in a race ? It's FINISHING the race. If you let your ego get in the way of making decisions on the track like Hamilton did, you don't finish. Next most important is POINTS. Even McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh stated that he was glad Jenson was able to at least get some points:

        "“Jenson lost some positions during the first lap, which was deeply frustrating on a circuit where it’s difficult to overtake, and in traffic, of course, you’re damaging your tires,” Whitmarsh said. “Ultimately, he was had over by the safety car. Thereafter it was going to be pretty difficult. He snuck in and got some points at the end by just a controlled, disciplined drive.”

        Who do you think that comment about a "disciplined drive" was aimed at ? Do you really think Whitmarsh was happy that Hamilton forced the issue and didn't give Maldanado enough room ?? Of course not. It was a stupid decision on Hamilton's part and I guarantee you no matter what the FIA decided, Whitmarsh probably gave Hamilton a good tongue lashing after the race. Especially when they had know all day that they were suffering with major tire problems and were the first of the leaders to have to pit to change tires.

        Here's the article: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...tin-whitmarsh/

        Maldanado was faster. Look at the video below. He outbraked Hamilton going into the right hander (because Hamilton's tires were gone) and by doing so took the favorable inside position for the following quick left hander and would have made the pass had Hamilton not forced him off track. You trying to rationalize Maldanado was in the wrong by saying he should have waited and he would have made a clean pass later is not the point and is what you are missing. Maldanado had the position and Hamilton forced him off. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

        And I watched the race on SPEED/FOX. Both Steve Matchett and David Hobbs agreed when it happened that Hamilton should have given Maldanado more room. So do you really think Matchett and Hobbs are clueless about F1 rules ?? LOL. You can state whatever rules you want. But when it comes down to it, drivers have to make good decisions. Sadly, Hamilton made a very poor decision. Was Maldanado being agressive ? Sure, but there is no rule that states you cannot be agressive. Hamiltons goose was cooked and he should have known better.


      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        They both lost out. And as long as Maldonado was off track, as you can clearly see in the video you posted, he is obbliged to give way to cars on track.
        Had Hamilton let him pass right there Maldonado had to give this gained position back, because he passed OFF TRACK.
        That is just the way it is man, those are the rules. Hence the penalty he got.
        Was it smart from Hamilton?
        Maybe not. But at that position on the track, even if he had wanted, there is no room to let him pass even if he would have wanted it. Which he clearly did not.
        With 35 corners to go, Hamilton would have defended his position within the rules.
        As I stated earlier, if Maldonado had just waited a few corners longer, with his better tires he would have passed Hamilton for sure. LH was really struggling at thatpoint in the race. His rear tires were gone.
        They were too far from Kimi (7 seconds if I recollect correctly) so there was no chance in hell Maldonado could have cought up with him, and with 1 1/2 lap to go 3rd place was almost in the pocket for him... He $#@!ed up. Got too impatient.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        They both lost out. And as long as Maldonado was off track, as you can clearly see in the video you posted, he is obbliged to give way to cars on track.
        Had Hamilton let him pass right there Maldonado had to give this gained position back, because he passed OFF TRACK.
        That is just the way it is man, those are the rules. Hence the penalty he got.
        Was it smart from Hamilton?
        Maybe not. But at that position on the track, even if he had wanted, there is no room to let him pass even if he would have wanted it. Which he clearly did not.
        With 35 corners to go, Hamilton would have defended his position within the rules.
        As I stated earlier, if Maldonado had just waited a few corners longer, with his better tires he would have passed Hamilton for sure. LH was really struggling at thatpoint in the race. His rear tires were gone.
        They were too far from Kimi (7 seconds if I recollect correctly) so there was no chance in hell Maldonado could have cought up with him, and with 1 1/2 lap to go 3rd place was almost in the pocket for him... He $#@!ed up. Got too impatient.
        I agree he went off track. But he was FORCED off track by Hamilton who was over driving his car. We can go back and forth forever on this. You state the rules. But there are also rules between drivers that are unspoken. Hamilton broke them by trying to be too aggressive and trying to defend his position that he was obviously going to lose. Now, had this been the last corner of the last lap I would have said Hamilton had every right to bang it up with Maldanado. But it wasn't and as someone who has spent a lot of time racing, I feel he made a big mistake and should have given Maldanado more room to safely make the pass because he did have the inside line.

        Anyway, I'm glad to see there are others here who like F1 as much as I do and appreciate it.
      1. Scourge82's Avatar
        Scourge82 -
        When it come to championship points there are no rules between drivers, Just ask Schumacher and Alonso. Hamilton did push Maldonado off the track, just as he has done to others. But Hamilton had the line which gave him the right to. Maldonado did not have the inside line, he was trying to pass on the outside, thats why he was pushed. Maldonado had a parking lot sized run off area, instead of continuing he chose to jump back and hit Hamilton. Not sure why you are blaming him, the drivers, Race stewards, BBC, Sky, Planet F1, F1 Live all laid the blame on Maldonado except Maldonado himself.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
        When it come to championship points there are no rules between drivers, Just ask Schumacher and Alonso. Hamilton did push Maldonado off the track, just as he has done to others. But Hamilton had the line which gave him the right to. Maldonado did not have the inside line, he was trying to pass on the outside, thats why he was pushed. Maldonado had a parking lot sized run off area, instead of continuing he chose to jump back and hit Hamilton. Not sure why you are blaming him, the drivers, Race stewards, BBC, Sky, Planet F1, F1 Live all laid the blame on Maldonado except Maldonado himself.
        I hear what you're saying, I just don't see it as that cut and dry. Each situation (wreck) and all the circumstances and variables surrounding it have to be taken into account. I just think that Hamilton wasn't found to blame because he and his team have a lot of clout with the FIA, Bernie etc and Maldanado is the "new guy".
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
        To be honest, sometimes I think what the hell. Most Americans have no clue what F1 is. They see the cars and think its CART or Indycar, which is far from it. It's a shame really, because F1 is the pinnacle of auto racing. But I think if we discuss it enough people will start watching and enjoying it. It's kinda hard though when the race are on very early for them.

        Maldonado really deserved a more sever punishment for what he did. It's not the first time he's gotten angry and pushed someone aside with his car and I really think he should have received a 10 place grid penalty or a 1 race ban.
        I feel the same way but we cater to an international audience so to have a serious Mercedes site F1 must be covered. The people who know, know. That is what matters.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I feel the same way but we cater to an international audience so to have a serious Mercedes site F1 must be covered. The people who know, know. That is what matters.
        Hopefully Austin will change all those NASCAR loving rednecks with their "competition yellow flag" LOL. When I heard they were doing that I vowed I would never ever again watch a NASCAR race.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Hopefully Austin will change all those NASCAR loving rednecks with their "competition yellow flag" LOL. When I heard they were doing that I vowed I would never ever again watch a NASCAR race.
        Austin isn't going to change those people no matter how good the race is. There is a clear distinction between Formula 1 and Nascar fans. It also exists in their tax brackets.