Close

    • BimmerBoost spots the 2014 F80 M3 testing in Santa Barbara California, 7k RPM redline - Photos showing undercarriage, wheels, brakes, exhaust, and front/rear lights

      Always a cool feeling to run into a hot upcoming car, in this case the 2014 BMW M3, and catching it undergoing testing before release. Spyphotos like these get big attention as they show off upcoming design elements. So what can we see here? Well, first of all the color on the car is Jerez Black which looks like it will be making a return on the F80 M3 being a popular color on the E9X M3 series. Shots of the brake disc show some very large vented rotors that hopefully have some high end calipers on them this time around.

      The design of the car does not differ much from what we all expect but the classic aggressive M3 fenders are there thankfully. A more aggressive front bumper along with rear diffuser sporting quad tips round out the look. Overall, BMW is playing it very safe styling wise.

      Reflections in the window make it difficult to see much of the interior although a dual clutch trans can clearly be made out along with tri-color M stitching on the wheel. Photographer stated redline was 7k rpm. So much for that high revving M philosophy eh?

      The shot underneath the car shows what appears to a fairly large tranny cooler (hopefully not sharing the same cooler as the manual as BMW did with the E9X generation) as well as a big and likely heavy rear muffler that aftermarket exhaust manufacturers will be promptly ditching.

      Great set of spyphotos and a big thank you to BimmerBoost member @bmw335iguy for capturing the car.



















      This article was originally published in forum thread: F80 m3 spotted in Santa Barbara! started by bmw335iguy View original post
      Comments 117 Comments
      1. V8Bait's Avatar
        V8Bait -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
        7k rev, how disappointing Click here to enlarge
        DI engines have limitations to how high they can rev, sadly. The higher the RPM, the shorter the injection window.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        @Sticky

        best pics so far
      1. seth's Avatar
        seth -
        rep, nice find
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        You need to watermark the pics.... Good stuff! Did you look for coolers in the wheel wells or front? The car looks small to me(a good thing!) did it seem smaller in person than a e90?
      1. mithiral67's Avatar
        mithiral67 -
        Stalking I can approve up!!
      1. bmw335iguy's Avatar
        bmw335iguy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        You need to watermark the pics.... Good stuff! Did you look for coolers in the wheel wells or front? The car looks small to me(a good thing!) did it seem smaller in person than a e90?
        I didn't think to look in the wheel wells, but did look in the front lower grill area where the fmic is on the n54 and it had what looked like an extra radiator perhaps for the air to water intercooler? Also looked like there was an oil cooler inbetween the radiater and extra intercooler radiater thing.

        As far as size it didn't seem any bigger or smaller than an e90.
      1. tdizzle00's Avatar
        tdizzle00 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
        DI engines have limitations to how high they can rev, sadly. The higher the RPM, the shorter the injection window.
        Yep this...
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        You need to watermark the pics.... Good stuff! Did you look for coolers in the wheel wells or front? The car looks small to me(a good thing!) did it seem smaller in person than a e90?
        Sticky can do whatever he wants with them since they are now Bimmerboost property. Check out the link address Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        edited
        You didn't watermark these? Are you crazy?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
        @Sticky cant you give him a 100reps from us who cant at the moment due to the rep spread rule?
        Yes yes tons of points to go around but let me fix this whole thing first.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
        So I'm riding into work this morning and Lo and behold I see a camo'd out BMW driving in the opposite direction. So I quickly turned around and found where he parked and was able to get some photos. I'm on my phone now and can't resize the pics but if someone wants I can text you the photos so you can resize them, or ill do it tonight when I get home. It was a dct, redline was 7k rpms. Car sounded good when he drove away.
        I would have killed for a clean picture of the tach...

        Did you get a good look at the RPM limit?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        Sticky can do whatever he wants with them since they are now Bimmerboost property. Check out the link address Click here to enlarge
        Exactly true. Still watermarking though.
      1. nafoo's Avatar
        nafoo -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Exactly true. Still watermarking though.
        Sorry, didn't know how to watermark =|
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
        Sorry, didn't know how to watermark =|
        It's ok if anyone steals them I now have copyright on my side. Rare to get these kind of photos so I'm pretty stoked.

        Color looks like Jerez Black to me?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Always a cool feeling to run into a hot upcoming car, in this case the 2014 BMW M3, and catching it undergoing testing before release. Spyphotos like these get big attention as they show off upcoming design elements. So what can we see here? Well, first of all the color on the car is Jerez Black which looks like it will be making a return on the F80 M3 being a popular color on the E9X M3 series. Shots of the brake disc show some very large vented rotors that hopefully have some high end calipers on them this time around.

        The design of the car does not differ much from what we all expect but the classic aggressive M3 fenders are there thankfully. A more aggressive front bumper along with rear diffuser sporting quad tips round out the look. Overall, BMW is playing it very safe styling wise.

        Reflections in the window make it difficult to see much of the interior although a dual clutch trans can clearly be made out along with tri-color M stitching on the wheel. Photographer stated redline was 7k rpm. So much for that high revving M philosophy eh?

        The shot underneath the car shows what appears to a fairly large diffcooler as well as a big and likely heavy rear muffler that aftermarket exhaust manufacturers will be promptly ditching.

        Great set of spyphotos and a big thank you to BimmerBoost member @bmw335iguy for capturing the car.

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. bmw335iguy's Avatar
        bmw335iguy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I would have killed for a clean picture of the tach...

        Did you get a good look at the RPM limit?
        I tried getting one but the glare and reflection didn't allow me to unfortunately... The tach looked very similar to the one in my 335 so I think it just stopped at 7k. I don't know if these pre-production models have the interior finished yet, because for an m3 it didn't look anything special? I didn't see anything in the gauge cluster that looked like it would light up the tach similar to the e46 and e90 m3's. All the gauge cluster had was a gas gauge, mph, tach, and oil temp. Seats looked similar to e90 sport seats, although I've never seen e90 m3 seats.

        I talked to my friend that's a Master Tech at BMW of Santa Barbara and he said it had to have come from the Engineering Building at the VPC or vehicle processing center in Oxnard. And that they must have been doing some testing. According to him the Engineering Building is where they work on McLaren F1's and is the only authorized repair/service facility in the US.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
        I tried getting one but the glare and reflection didn't allow me to unfortunately... The tach looked very similar to the one in my 335 so I think it just stopped at 7k. I don't know if these pre-production models have the interior finished yet, because for an m3 it didn't look anything special? I didn't see anything in the gauge cluster that looked like it would light up the tach similar to the e46 and e90 m3's. All the gauge cluster had was a gas gauge, mph, tach, and oil temp. Seats looked similar to e90 sport seats, although I've never seen e90 m3 seats.

        I talked to my friend that's a Master Tech at BMW of Santa Barbara and he said it had to have come from the Engineering Building at the VPC or vehicle processing center in Oxnard. And that they must have been doing some testing. According to him the Engineering Building is where they work on McLaren F1's and is the only authorized repair/service facility in the US.
        Are you sure on the 7k?
      1. bmw335iguy's Avatar
        bmw335iguy -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Are you sure on the 7k?
        I'm positive the redline was 7k. That was the first thing I looked at when looking at the gauge cluster.
      1. mithiral67's Avatar
        mithiral67 -
        hope they slapped an old cluster on reading a 7k limit when it might go to 7.5?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mithiral67 Click here to enlarge
        hope they slapped an old cluster on reading a 7k limit when it might go to 7.5?
        When has that ever happened in the history of BMW test cars? It's 7k, nobody is surprised.