Close

    • Spyphotos of the Mercedes AMG Porsche 911 Rival - 2015 C190 SLC / SLR with M177 4.0 liter V8

      It's definitely coming and here is the proof. Mercedes-Benz AMG will have a sports car slotted under the SLS designed to compete with the Porsche 911. Not an easy task but if the specifications are correct this is going to be a very serious car. As reported in February of this year the SLC AMG (or possibly named SLR, Mercedes has not made its mind up) will sport a 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 (M177) which will also go into the next generation W205 C63 AMG.

      Expect two trim levels for the twin turbo V8 one with 485 horsepower aimed at the Carrera S and then an SLC S trim model with 585 horsepower set to match up against the 991 Turbo. A dual clutch transmission will be standard as in the SLS AMG.

      Pricing will start in the $120k range and move up from there depending on trim and options. The platform is known as C190 internally.

      If the projected 3400 pound weight is met Mercedes will have a hit on their hands. Great stuff Mercedes-Benz and AMG! Don't forget a Black Series variant to take on the GT2 either!












      This article was originally published in forum thread: Spyphotos of the Mercedes AMG Porsche 911 Rival - 2015 C190 SLC / SLR with M177 4.0 liter V8 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 38 Comments
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        You're not wrong you're just an idiot.

        Of course a Cayman with the 911 drivetrain would be awesome. But it DOES NOT EXIST. You live in fantasy land. You keep bringing up hypotheticals that have no bearing in reality. Just like you keep posting about the new C63 getting an M157 - it's not happening.

        So while you postulate and dream up scenarios that don't exist and will not happen, I'll be living in the real world where the 911 is THE choice for the top racing teams around the world and has won more racing titles than any other manufacturer.
        I live in a world where Renegade Hybrids retrofits a LS7 and a TR6070 into a Cayman S and builds the car the Porsche SHOULD be building.

        I actually build and race my own cars, instead of referencing what OTHER people are doing like some bench racing high school kid.

        As if the race cars you mentioned are even in the same class as the cars that we drive on the street and do track days with.

        Like I said, keep flapping your jaws......
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Snap oversteer? Have you driven a 911 around a track? If you go heavy into a turn, the car will UNDERSTEER just like every other car out there. Biggest myth in the world and i have seen PCA instructors debunk this. An improperly set up car or an inexperienced driver is what gives a 911 its 'scary oversteer' traits, when in reality its quite composed and very easy to steer.

        Take it from someone who setup a GT3 to go 'slideways' coming into Turn One at Road Atlanta in the pouring rain.

        Oh and the AWD system in the turbos is phenomenal. You could try all you want but it sticks to the turns like glue.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        I live in a world where Renegade Hybrids retrofits a LS7 and a TR6070 into a Cayman S and builds the car the Porsche SHOULD be building.
        They did an LS7 Cayman?

        I know they do LS 911's of all sorts but never knew they did a Cayman.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        They did an LS7 Cayman?

        I know they do LS 911's of all sorts but never knew they did a Cayman.
        Yup

        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reneg...38404812885710


        Renegade Hybrids

        March 11

        HUGE NEWS!
        YEP, IT'S CAYMAN V8 TIME! We got the car! Anyone want to buy a perfect Cayman S engine? Ran perfect from Kansas City to Vegas. Just to slow... Lol. And poor gas mileage.



        Click here to enlarge




        Renegade Hybrids

        March 2 via mobile

        I can't stand it. We have got to 'let the cat out of the bag'! Renegade just took a deposit on a 600HP Cayman S V8 'build' to be done later this year! Yes, ladies and gents, we have arrived at the big leagues!!!





        So, getting back to my rhetorical question:
        Why would anyone buy a rear wheel drive 911 over THIS ?????
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        I live in a world where Renegade Hybrids retrofits a LS7 and a TR6070 into a Cayman S and builds the car the Porsche SHOULD be building.
        Great. So go buy one and quit whining that manufacturers don't build the car YOU want. Jesus, you sound like a such a cry baby broken record.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        I actually build and race my own cars, instead of referencing what OTHER people are doing like some bench racing high school kid.
        I reference what other people are doing to prove you wrong. If mid engine layout was the best then it would win all the races, right ? WRONG, as referenced by the winners at Le Mans this year.
        Yeah I'm a bench racer, lol. I haven't been running race cars all my life, instructed at Skippy, ran a Grand Am team for 4 years or run SCCA Pro Series LOL. You got me pegged, I have no clue what I'm talking about...

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        As if the race cars you mentioned are even in the same class as the cars that we drive on the street and do track days with.
        Oh now you want to limit the discussion to street cars...LOL.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        Like I said, keep flapping your jaws......
        Likewise...
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
        Snap oversteer? Have you driven a 911 around a track? If you go heavy into a turn, the car will UNDERSTEER just like every other car out there. Biggest myth in the world and i have seen PCA instructors debunk this. An improperly set up car or an inexperienced driver is what gives a 911 its 'scary oversteer' traits, when in reality its quite composed and very easy to steer.

        Take it from someone who setup a GT3 to go 'slideways' coming into Turn One at Road Atlanta in the pouring rain.

        Oh and the AWD system in the turbos is phenomenal. You could try all you want but it sticks to the turns like glue.
        ANY car you take into a corner too hot will understeer. That wasn't my point. Yes, Porsche has dialed alot of that out of the car over the years, but the snap oversteer I referenced was referring to lifting mid turn and the inherent chassis disruption that occurs when doing that in a rear engined car. I've driven plenty of AWD Porsches on the track and while I agree that they handle very well in the corners, they are not immune from snap oversteer if you suddenly go off throttle while giving the car a lot of steering input.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        That's way cool I'd prefer the GT3 motor obviously as it is more porsche character but that is still way cool. Would love to see if they could do it with a 981.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        ANY car you take into a corner too hot will understeer. That wasn't my point. Yes, Porsche has dialed alot of that out of the car over the years, but the snap oversteer I referenced was referring to lifting mid turn and the inherent chassis disruption that occurs when doing that in a rear engined car. I've driven plenty of AWD Porsches on the track and while I agree that they handle very well in the corners, they are not immune from snap oversteer if you suddenly go off throttle while giving the car a lot of steering input.
        I was actually siding with your point of view before, I should have been more specific lol
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Great. So go buy one and quit whining that manufacturers don't build the car YOU want. Jesus, you sound like a such a cry baby broken record.
        FAQ you.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's way cool I'd prefer the GT3 motor obviously as it is more porsche character but that is still way cool. Would love to see if they could do it with a 981.
        LSx is the best engine family on the planet.
        I can't believe you would even mention a Porsche naturally aspirated engine in same discussion.
        Shaking my head.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        LSx is the best engine family on the planet.
        I can't believe you would even mention a Porsche naturally aspirated engine in same discussion.
        Shaking my head.
        Well first of all I disagree on the best engine family on the planet part (it's an ancient low sophistication design) and secondly mentioning a Porsche naturally aspirated engine as being right for a Porsche makes perfect sense to me. I'm shaking my head.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
        I was actually siding with your point of view before, I should have been more specific lol
        All good bud!
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        FAQ you.
        Back at'cha tough guy.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well first of all I disagree on the best engine family on the planet part (it's an ancient low sophistication design) and secondly mentioning a Porsche naturally aspirated engine as being right for a Porsche makes perfect sense to me. I'm shaking my head.
        Yeah, it's ridiculous to think a Porsche engine (lightweight, low center of gravity) should be used in a Porsche rather than an old, cheap antiquated heavy V8. Click here to enlarge
        Meanwhile, the LSx has never made the list below in ANY category.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, it's ridiculous to think a Porsche engine (lightweight, low center of gravity) should be used in a Porsche rather than an old, cheap antiquated heavy V8. Click here to enlarge
        Meanwhile, the LSx has never made the list below in ANY category.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year
        It's not that much heavier it's just not as impressive to me as say the new GT3 motor. Cayman with a V8 or with the GT3 engine? Well, I choose GT3.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's not that much heavier it's just not as impressive to me as say the new GT3 motor. Cayman with a V8 or with the GT3 engine? Well, I choose GT3.
        Sure, but it's WHERE the extra weight is. And since were playing "fantasyland cars" I'll take a Cayman with a gas turbine LOL.
      1. TT C6's Avatar
        TT C6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Yeah, it's ridiculous to think a Porsche engine (lightweight, low center of gravity) should be used in a Porsche rather than an old, cheap antiquated heavy V8. Click here to enlarge
        Meanwhile, the LSx has never made the list below in ANY category.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year
        Thank you for proving to everyone who read the above that you are a fraud and you know nothing about engines, let alone racing.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Yeah I'm a bench racer, lol. I haven't been running race cars all my life, instructed at Skippy, ran a Grand Am team for 4 years or run SCCA Pro Series LOL. You got me pegged, I have no clue what I'm talking about...
        If any of the above were true, you would at least have some respect for the LSx engines and what they have been doing at tracks all over the world.
        You do not race. You are not an instructor. You do not even do track days.
        You are simply a liar.

        Have a great life, sir.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        Thank you for proving to everyone who read the above that you are a fraud and you know nothing about engines, let alone racing.
        Really? Would the LSx NOT be heavier than the GT3 motor in question ? Does the fact that the added weight being at the lowest point in the car not matter ?
        Once again, you make absurd generalized statements with no FACTS to back them up. I on the other hand back up what I say WITH FACTS and references.


        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        If any of the above were true, you would at least have some respect for the LSx engines and what they have been doing at tracks all over the world.
        You do not race. You are not an instructor. You do not even do track days.
        You are simply a liar.

        Have a great life, sir.
        Again you show to everyone here what an idiot you are. When did I ever say I do not respect the LSx family ??? Please, show me. Fact is, I do respect the LSx platform but that doesn't mean it's the best motor in the world as you suggested. Unlike you, I do not make generalized statements without backing them up. You stated the following:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        LSx is the best engine family on the planet.
        I, as well as others here, have disagreed with you. One of the the most prestigious accomplishments for an engine manufacturer is to be included on the International Engine of the Year list. This is an annual competition of engines judged by automobile journalists from around the world.
        Didn't you tell me recently that I should pick up a magazine more often and educate myself ? Well those same journalists that you referenced have NEVER ONCE nominated your cherished LSx family of motors in the competition since its inception in 1999.
        But hey, I guess because you say so we should all just believe you Click here to enlarge
        Another absurdly ignorant and generalized statement that you've made here:

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TT C6 Click here to enlarge
        Porsche who insists on keeping the engine located in the wrong place.
        My assertion is that there is no wrong place for a motor. And once again I back this assertion up with hard facts showing you that 911's have the most racing titles of any other manufacturer. And what do you do to rebut this ? You want to limit the conversation to street cars and tell me to go $#@! myself. Then you make up cars that don't exist to try and prove your point. I'm not sure if you are just an idiot or if you simply don't like being proven wrong. Either way, I think it's clear to anyone reading this who makes the most sense.

        And finally, I really don't care if you believe me or not. It makes no difference to me. There are plenty of people here who know my racing background and have participated with me at track days. But that makes no difference. You've stated that you have been building motors for 20+ years, and that's fine....I haven't called you a liar. I've simply commented on what you've said here and provided FACTS to back up what I say - unlike you who resorts to e thuggery veiled threats of violence when you are proven wrong. I'd suggest you continue working hard at building engines and racing for another 20 years because the past 20 haven't taught you $#@!.
        Take care.