Close

    • Mercedes-Benz C190 SLC AMG targeting the Nissan GTR as a performance benchmark? Spyphotos show testing with the GTR

      When Nissan launched the Nissan GTR the car was often spotted testing along with a Porsche 911 Turbo. Nissan clearly showed who they were targeting and the car they intended to beat. Well, seems the tables have turned as Mercedes-Benz and AMG are targeting the Nissan GTR as a performance benchmark for their new upcoming sports car the SLC (or SLR, or GT, the name is not official yet). Interesting that Mercedes is not bench marking against a Porsche 911 which the car is supposed to be aimed at.

      Why is that? Well, possibly due to the 991 Turbo not yet being on the market so the next best thing is the 2013 GTR. The standard SLC is supposed to go up against the Carrera S though so this may be the SLC 'S' version testing.

      Newest reports state the SLC base model will be a 485 horsepower 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 code named M177. This same motor will then be upped 505 horsepower for the S model. The previous 585 horsepower rumors seem to point to that output for the Black Series model. The Black Series of course being aimed then at the 991 GT2.

      What is certain is Mercedes AMG is very serious about this vehicles performance. And that is something BenzBoost respects.

























      This article was originally published in forum thread: Mercedes-Benz C190 SLC AMG targeting the Nissan GTR as a performance benchmark? Spyphotos show testing with the GTR started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 15 Comments
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        If they are aiming at GTR performance figures, that's great to hear. Only downside would be the cost, I imagine this car going for a serious premium with GTR performance figures.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
        If they are aiming at GTR performance figures, that's great to hear. Only downside would be the cost, I imagine this car going for a serious premium with GTR performance figures.
        It's supposed to start at around 120k.
      1. Adrenacide's Avatar
        Adrenacide -
        In the US, yes. In SA it'll be 50% - 90% more. Stupid import taxes.
      1. nawlinstornado's Avatar
        nawlinstornado -
        Why does the rear 3/4 view remind me so much of an Aston Martin?
      1. SLS AMG's Avatar
        SLS AMG -
        It looks like it might be AWD since they're testing it with the Nissan GTR
      1. kokostrollet's Avatar
        kokostrollet -
        In terms of handling one might assume a benchmark with a front engine car such as the GTR rather than the Porsche makes more sense too...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
        It looks like it might be AWD since they're testing it with the Nissan GTR
        I wouldn't bet on that just because a car is benchmarked against the GTR does not mean it is all wheel drive necessarily. But... AMG is adding more all wheel drive options so that sure would be interesting!
      1. kokostrollet's Avatar
        kokostrollet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I wouldn't bet on that just because a car is benchmarked against the GTR does not mean it is all wheel drive necessarily. But... AMG is adding more all wheel drive options so that sure would be interesting!
        Quite certain they will do both 4-matic + RWD.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kokostrollet Click here to enlarge
        Quite certain they will do both 4-matic + RWD.
        They don't on the SL, SLK, or SLS. How do you know for certain?
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        What I'd like to know is how does anyone know they are testing it against the GT-R ? Just because there happens to be a GT-R in a couple photos ? Maybe it was just a dude in a GT-R who was following it snapping spy photos? Also, how do you "test" a car against another one ? What, are they doing 60-130 runs ?? Seriously doubt it....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        What I'd like to know is how does anyone know they are testing it against the GT-R ? Just because there happens to be a GT-R in a couple photos ? Maybe it was just a dude in a GT-R who was following it snapping spy photos? Also, how do you "test" a car against another one ? What, are they doing 60-130 runs ?? Seriously doubt it....
        Because they are on the track at the same time and going back into the same Mercedes facility they came out of? It's very similar to what Nissan did with the 911.

        They aren't doing straightline runs they are doing chassis dynamics and feedback on the ring. Of course you have to look at competitors.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        I don't see any photos of them coming in and out of the same Benz facility together ? And the other photos look like public roads to me. Don't see any 'Ring photos either ?
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Sorry - missed this photo with the track layout in the right of the pic:

        http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...pyPhoto7-1.jpg

        My bad. Interesting they are aiming at the GT-R as competition. AWD would be amazing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        I don't see any photos of them coming in and out of the same Benz facility together ? And the other photos look like public roads to me. Don't see any 'Ring photos either ?
        There's a photo showing the AMG facility look again.
      1. yage202's Avatar
        yage202 -
        Used to work at the Milford proving grounds with GM. Spy photogs were always at the same spots around the facility catching glimpses of the new cars. Most manufacturer's have eliminated sight lines around their facilities, so most spy shots you see are vehicles in transit.