Close

    • BMS E82 135i FFTEC N54 Single Turbo Kit Dyno Testing - 585 wheel horsepower

      Been racking up miles on the 135i and fixing little things. And finally had a chance to get to the dyno today for some baseline testing. As I've mentioned I've been VERY pleased with the FFTEC twin scroll top mount 5862 turbocharger kit. On road performance and spool is much better than any other combinations I've driven.


      Testing details:


      2008 135i Steptronic (original trans, for now)
      JB4 single turbo firmware & supporting flash
      FFTEC 5862 top mount single turbo
      BigTom intercooler, BMS OCC, BMS stat, etc
      Walbro 255 inline fuel pump mod
      Factory exhaust system (did not bother to open cutout)
      ~E30 mix for for 17psi runs. For 20psi+ runs enabled meth kit for fueling using a single CM10 nozzle.


      Notes:
      1) Was not going after any power records so left the tuning very conservative all around. At the same boost levels there is easily another 15hp in this setup with more advance. And no reason this turbo can't be cranked up to 28psi when the trans is ready.
      2) It made a lot more power than I was expecting. It's basically on pace with the 6466 at these lower boost levels only with much better spool.
      3) If the trans would shift this car would be seriously quick. I'll get to work on that ASAP.
















      Video of one of the 23psi runs:



      This article was originally published in forum thread: 135i BMS FFTEC Single Turbo Dyno Testing started by Terry@BMS View original post
      Comments 336 Comments
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        I would argue that a 6MT with NLS is better than AT during roll races. At a minimum, the 6mt doesn't flatline timing Click here to enlarge

        Ive be raced two other at n54's, never gave up an inch during shifts. I'm actually quite sure I can shift faster than the 6HP.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        I understand you guys are new to the racing world. It's the only reason you would even consider making a MT vs AT argument when were talking strictly straight line racing. And a proper tranny means, properly working, no issues with it holding power, flatlining or any of that, It can be the factory tranny. A properly working AT will ALWAYS be faster. Take a car put the best drag racer in the world in it, have run it with an MT, pull it down, put an AT in it. Have him run it again the AT WILL be faster. That is a FACT. You cannot shift faster than an AT, sorry to burst your bubble. Now with all that said, I bought an MT for our shop car because first off all. No issues, secondly they are more fun. But in a straight line in a turbo car, not faster or quicker.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        What is a proper AT? stock or an actual aftermarket 4speed? If its and aftermarket Auto it does not count.



        I'll be waiting and eating my popcorn when that happens. DCT yes, regular auto I don't see that happening. So what about the modded M6 with SMG I raced that I won to while I was on regular pump gas? How is that superior?
        M6 with SMG? Well SMG is still a manual so....
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        I understand you guys are new to the racing world. It's the only reason you would even consider making a MT vs AT argument when were talking strictly straight line racing. And a proper tranny means, properly working, no issues with it holding power, flatlining or any of that, It can be the factory tranny. A properly working AT will ALWAYS be faster. Take a car put the best drag racer in the world in it, have run it with an MT, pull it down, put an AT in it. Have him run it again the AT WILL be faster. That is a FACT. You cannot shift faster than an AT, sorry to burst your bubble.
        whats the shift time of the 6HP? I can go as quick as 75MS.

        I dont see see an AT having any advantages over a mt during a roll race when using NLS. From a dead stop it's a different story.
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge




        The fastest automatic in the world is the Lexus IS-F gearbox, at 100 ms. The ZF transmission in BMW's is at the 200 ms mark.


        Aston Martin Vanquish: 250 ms
        Ferrari 575M: 220 ms
        BMW M3 E36 with SMG I: 220 ms
        Ferrari 360: 150 ms
        Enzo Ferrari: 150 ms
        Lexus LFA: 150 ms
        Ferrari FXX: Under 100 ms
        Nissan GT-R: 100ms
        BMW M3 E46 with SMG II: 80 ms
        Ferrari 430 Scuderia & FXX Evoluzione: 60 ms
        Volkswagen Golf GTI (Direct Shift): 8 ms
        Bugatti Veyron (Direct Shift): 8 ms
        All Volkswagen DSG Gearbox (Direct Shift): 8 ms
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Looks to me like I own you $#@!es. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        DCT > all
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        DCT > all
        YeS! This correct. That's why every REAL drag has a DCT. Oh wait, they don't. You guys can say what you want. You are wrong and any real drag racer worth his salt knows it. But honestly who cares. It's Friday night. You guys can fight about it all you want, facts are facts. Cheers
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
        whats the shift time of the 6HP? I can go as quick as 75MS.

        I dont see see an AT having any advantages over a mt during a roll race when using NLS. From a dead stop it's a different story.
        1) your shift time in a MT is not measure in the same way

        2) you are losing power to the wheels between shifts, not the case in our ZF transmission, and especially not so in the DCT.

        Say what you want, go take two bone stock 335i's, one MT and one AT and do the comparison yourself...I highly doubt you'll manage to beat out every professional driver that tested them for every magazine and major reviewer in the world...

        Would love to see your tests and how you think it's only taking you 75ms to get from gear to gear...every time...every gear...
      1. 07Tundra's Avatar
        07Tundra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        ? 600NM is like 442ft lbs of TQ. These things easily do that now in their sleep, wouldn't really call that a start.
        So funny you are do you even know what the zf6hp21 is at currently
        450nm=331tq so in my going to 600 or 700nm is a start. It's funny how everybody is a critic and don't what they're talking about but so quick comment. Then we have the peanut gallery thinking its so funny.
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        1) your shift time in a MT is not measure in the same way

        2) you are losing power to the wheels between shifts, not the case in our ZF transmission, and especially not so in the DCT.

        Say what you want, go take two bone stock 335i's, one MT and one AT and do the comparison yourself...I highly doubt you'll manage to beat out every professional driver that tested them for every magazine and major reviewer in the world...

        Would love to see your tests and how you think it's only taking you 75ms to get from gear to gear...every time...every gear...
        We aren't talking bone stock brah. 6MT with NLS and CDV delete.

        The test is pretty easy - the wotbox interface allows me to program how long to interrupt the ignition power supply for while initiating a NLS. If my shift took longer than the time delay, RPMs will shoot up vs accelerate in the next gear. I'm most comfortable with it at 125ms, but have gone as low as 75ms. I could post my Cobb logs but I don't think the time stamps have the resolution to show definitively how many ms it took.
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 07Tundra Click here to enlarge
        So funny you are do you even know what the zf6hp21 is at currently
        450nm=331tq so in my going to 600 or 700nm is a start. It's funny how everybody is a critic and don't what they're talking about but so quick comment. Then we have the peanut gallery thinking its so funny.
        Jesus...seriously? Obviously he knows what it's rated it stock, but it handles well beyond 600nm bone stock already, so no, a company saying they will back an upgrade rated at 600nm is not a start at all.

        So funny YOU are, you don't know what the hp21 is currently at....500wtq is no problem for the stock trans
      1. mjmarovi's Avatar
        mjmarovi -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
        We aren't talking bone stock brah. 6MT with NLS and CDV delete.

        The test is pretty easy - the wotbox interface allows me to program how long to interrupt the ignition power supply for while initiating a NLS. If my shift took longer than the time delay, RPMs will shoot up vs accelerate in the next gear. I'm most comfortable with it at 125ms, but have gone as low as 75ms. I could post my Cobb logs but I don't think the time stamps have the resolution to show definitively how many ms it took.
        There is no hope...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
        YeS! This correct. That's why every REAL drag has a DCT. Oh wait, they don't. You guys can say what you want. You are wrong and any real drag racer worth his salt knows it. But honestly who cares. It's Friday night. You guys can fight about it all you want, facts are facts. Cheers
        What pro drag class allows DCT?

        The GTR seems to do just fine with it doesn't it?
      1. 07Tundra's Avatar
        07Tundra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        Jesus...seriously? Obviously he knows what it's rated it stock, but it handles well beyond 600nm bone stock already, so no, a company saying they will back an upgrade rated at 600nm is not a start at all.

        So funny YOU are, you don't know what the hp21 is currently at....500wtq is no problem for the stock trans
        So going up with base number 331tq to 442tq wouldn't make it handle more 500tq really, so it being at 331 and it can handle 500 that's 169 more than its suppose to. So if you take the starting point of 442 and add the 169 where are we know I believe higher than 500 more like 611. But that's just simple math what was I thinking 611wtq would suck.
      1. Tony@VargasTurboTech's Avatar
        Tony@VargasTurboTech -
        This thread has gone off the deep end. Unsubscribe.
      1. 07Tundra's Avatar
        07Tundra -
        It sure has
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 07Tundra Click here to enlarge
        It sure has
        I like how it encourages people to read as you never know what you may learn in a thread here. No need for overzealous moderation.

        You guys keep chatting away.
      1. 07Tundra's Avatar
        07Tundra -
        CHOO CHOOO
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
        I would argue that a 6MT with NLS is better than AT during roll races. At a minimum, the 6mt doesn't flatline timing Click here to enlarge

        Ive be raced two other at n54's, never gave up an inch during shifts. I'm actually quite sure I can shift faster than the 6HP.
        Preach lol.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        M6 with SMG? Well SMG is still a manual so....
        3 pedals= manual
        2 pedals= auto

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        DCT > all
        Yep, that and DSG 8ms holy$#@! in a car that came out in 06 in all production. How fast is the DCT compared to VAG DSG?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
        1) your shift time in a MT is not measure in the same way

        2) you are losing power to the wheels between shifts, not the case in our ZF transmission, and especially not so in the DCT.

        Say what you want, go take two bone stock 335i's, one MT and one AT and do the comparison yourself...I highly doubt you'll manage to beat out every professional driver that tested them for every magazine and major reviewer in the world...

        Would love to see your tests and how you think it's only taking you 75ms to get from gear to gear...every time...every gear...
        I just went and looked at some logs of me in my cobalt ss. Repeatedly I did 120-160ms shifts, oh and thats with me lifting off. I wouldn't NLS anymore in my cobalt because I didn't want to risk blowing the tranny with the torque I was making in that car. I can only imagine how much faster it is w/o lifting etc.