Close

    • 6-speed manual Gintani Stage 2 supercharged E92 M3 vs. 6-speed manual single turbo BMS tuned N54 E92 335i from a roll

      Videos of single turbo N54's going up against supercharged E9X M3's are hard to come by so we will forgive the low cell phone video quality here as you can still clearly see what happens. The camera car is a single turbo E9X 335i with a Garrett GT37R single turbo conversion pushing roughly 22 psi. The red E92 M3 features a Gintani Stage 2 supercharger system at 7.5 psi of boost. Both cars have 6-speed manual transmissions.


      The first run is a second gear roll and the 335 gets a slight jump. The M3 quickly pulls even and past it though and continues to pull into the higher gears. A fairly-one sided race.

      The next run is a higher speed roll starting in 3rd gear. The M3 jumps on the second honk so this time it has an early lead. Due to this it quickly puts a few car lengths on the 335 and once the M3 flashes its lights the race is over.

      Highway pulls like this will favor the top end of the M3 as any torque advantage the 335 has is mitigated by the gearing and revs. Keeping in mind this is a centrifugal supercharger on the M3 and boost builds with the revs so winding it out only helps.

      There are obviously stronger examples of 335's as well as M3's out there but this type of highway race generally favors an M3.

      2008 BMW M3 (E92) 6MT
      Gintani Stage 2 Supercharger
      H&R Race Springs
      275 -Toyo R888 (Rears)
      RPI X-Pipe
      OEM Rear Section
      Style 219 OEM Wheels
      505whp on a DD - Approx. 560whp on dynojet.


      BMW 335i (E92) 6MT
      JB4-G5
      Single Turbo Garrett GT37R
      BBS LM Reps
      FBO
      OEM Secondarys
      OEM Rear Section
      Made: 619whp on a race file
      -580whp time of the race.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Supercharged S65 vs. Single Turbo N54 started by RnmEvo9 View original post
      Comments 203 Comments
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        The m walked that FBO n54 harder though.... But yes 22 psi is low for a single n54. The problem is, it's all we really have to compare to right now. @Ak335i you need to get out there and get some races

        i know, ive been talking to Steve and we may meet up in NC some time. sucks there are no other fast BMWs racing down here ;/
        ive got tons of races, just cant get a SC m3 to run me down here
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        I wish some single turbo 335's would come to the slipstream roll racing event at pocono raceway on July 11th, and/or mpacts roll racing at pocono on july 12th. There will be plenty of SC m3's there as well as other real fast cars.

        I agree, a 700whp single 335 would be a different story but it seems there aren't many of them around.
        Not yet, but there will be. Click here to enlarge
      1. Legionofboom's Avatar
        Legionofboom -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        i know, ive been talking to Steve and we may meet up in NC some time. sucks there are no other fast BMWs racing down here ;/
        ive got tons of races, just cant get a SC m3 to run me down here
        I wanna see you race some of the guys over on the KOTS Grab-a-Lane list!

        *edit - Double post, Im a noob, sorry.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Looks like the forum is double posting for some reason
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        I'm surprised, fl is a decent scene, there has to be some AA SC cars down there lurking
        yes there was one, called me out. I called his bluff and went to drive the hour to run him and he backed out and wont run me

        im working on finding him or another still
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        ya im not disagreeing with that, im saying that the ST there has low torque and low boost. its not much if any faster than a FBO/meth N54 what are you not understanding about that?
        Your basis for your comment is the car losing to an m3 from multiple speeds. You have no idea how the 335 performs and are underestimating the competition.

        I'm so sure a fbo 335 would do better or even se this car's taillights. 7.5 psi is enough to trap 130 with an m3. A fbo 335 isn't doing that and isn't a race for this car.

        Seriously, it lost. Big deal. Yes, single turbo n54s can lose to low torque 'weak' m3s. I just find it amusing how it's the supercharged m3 that seems to always overachieve.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        Looks like the forum is double posting for some reason
        It's your browser click refresh.
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Your basis for your comment is the car losing to an m3 from multiple speeds. You have no idea how the 335 performs and are underestimating the competition.

        I'm so sure a fbo 335 would do better or even se this car's taillights. 7.5 psi is enough to trap 130 with an m3. A fbo 335 isn't doing that and isn't a race for this car.

        Seriously, it lost. Big deal. Yes, single turbo n54s can lose to low torque 'weak' m3s. I just find it amusing how it's the supercharged m3 that seems to always overachieve.
        you are arguing with yourself.

        i know how single turbo n54s perform and i know that at 22psi that one is not much faster than a fbo/meth stock turbo 335i. sorry if that upsets you.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        you are arguing with yourself.

        i know how single turbo n54s perform and i know that at 22psi that one is not much faster than a fbo/meth stock turbo 335i. sorry if that upsets you.
        Excuses upset me. Thankfully I don't have to sit here and make them.
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Excuses upset me. Thankfully I don't have to sit here and make them.
        and neither do i.

        i will never lose to a supercharged m3
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        i am trying to set up a race now. i have called out a supercharged m3 local just now and even offered to pay for his gas to run me. so lets see Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        and neither do i.

        i will never lose to a supercharged m3
        Thank geography.
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Thank geography.

        that may be
      1. RnmEvo9's Avatar
        RnmEvo9 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        and neither do i.

        i will never lose to a supercharged m3
        Thats what's up. Repped
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
        Thats what's up. Repped
        Blind leading the blind.
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Blind leading the blind.

        its ok. i found 2 SC m3s to run next week when im home
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
        its ok. i found 2 SC m3s to run next week when im home
        Well that was fast, I hope they are 535 kits lol , jk
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        Well that was fast, I hope they are 535 kits lol , jk
        repped

        lolol i hope they are close to 140 cars otherwise we will be dealing with the tears of peasants
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        When did you run 140? Did you even run 130?
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        When did you run 140? Did you even run 130?
        wouldnt you like to know