• More details about the 2017 Toyota Z4 or BMW Supra - Hybrid four-cylinder, 3085 curb weight

      You know by now that BMW and Toyota announced a technology sharing agreement. You should also know that BMW and Toyota are collaborating on a new sports car. For BMW, that means the next generation Z4 and for Toyota that means a possible return of the Supra nameplate. There are a lot of rumors about what exactly is going to happen but a new report from MotorTrend sheds some light on the subject.


      The car obviously will be a hybrid which is why the collaboration happened in the first place. Toyota has some great electric motors and hybrid technology which they have experience with from the Prius and BMW does as well with the 'i' brand now. We will see some mixing and matching as BMW's lightweight technology is paired with Toyota's electronic designs that BMW will produce.

      The expected result is a lightweight 3085 pound car. This is a great weight target for a sports car and especially one with a hybrid drivetrain. Power is expected to come from a direct injected 2.0 liter four-cylinder motor. Let's hope that the motor is BMW's as the N20 is a very strong candidate.

      This motor of course will be paired with an electric motor or two and the output should be in the 350+ horsepower range. That sounds pretty good with the 3085 pound curb weight making for a car that is fun to drive and toss into the corners.

      The car may not be rear wheel drive as the electric motor will be front mounted. That means the next generation Z4 and Supra likely will have all wheel drive.

      So what is the target date for these two cars? 2017. The end result is going to be very interesting to see.

      Source
      This article was originally published in forum thread: More details about the 2017 Toyota Z4 or BMW Supra - Hybrid four-cylinder, 3085 curb weight started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 46 Comments
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        Sweet - I'm excited for this car. In general, Toyota doesn't scream "driving passion" to me, but one of the last Toyotas I got excited about was the Supra, so it is wise of them to rekindle that nameplate.

        -Rich
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Since the car is being release in 2017 I'm guessing the n20 will be long gone by then. Maybe the the 4 cylinder used will be the next gen m3 motor?Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

        Either way I bet the motor comes from BMW
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        I'm guessing the n20 will be long gone by then
        Why?
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why?
        The advancement will continue. Look at the life cycle of a engine in bmw's line up...typically 3-4 years.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Okay, its cool, but don't call it the supra... Please?

        Put a turbocharged inline 6 in the next supra. What the heck else would you put in there that wouldn't be a disgrace to the supra brand?
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        I really hope they make a RWD version. I have absolutely no interest in owning a light weight sports car that I would track on a consistent basis, if it is AWD. A non-hybrid powerplant would be nice too, but I guess this is the direction all cars will be going. It just seems odd to make a small light weight agile sports car and ruin it with AWD.

        Put the S55 in, make it RWD...call it a f*ckin day.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        The advancement will continue. Look at the life cycle of a engine in bmw's line up...typically 3-4 years.
        No, not really. The N55 is basically an N54 with a single turbo and Valvetronic. The N63TU is just an N63 with Valvetronic. The M50 engine family was around for over a decade.

        The N20 will still be here. Maybe an N20TU but it will still be the basic architecture.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        I really hope they make a RWD version. I have absolutely no interest in owning a light weight sports car that I would track on a consistent basis, if it is AWD. A non-hybrid powerplant would be nice too, but I guess this is the direction all cars will be going. It just seems odd to make a small light weight agile sports car and ruin it with AWD.

        Put the S55 in, make it RWD...call it a f*ckin day.
        It just won't happen. This whole partnership is all about electric technology and the most logical place for the electric motor is up front.
      1. -335i-'s Avatar
        -335i- -
        So eventually this will be like Toyota FT86 / Subaru BRZ - same car a bit of differencies... where's the beef? What's happening to BMW? PSA engines, Front wheel drive, now this. Hopefully this is really just a technology sharing and a path for BMW to make kind of hybrid concept like Mclaren P1, Porsche 918 or LaFerrari.
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It just won't happen. This whole partnership is all about electric technology and the most logical place for the electric motor is up front.
        Does it really have to be awd? P1 and LaFerrari are not.

        Why can't BMW just make a f*cking car for track enthusiasts?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Does it really have to be awd? P1 and LaFerrari are not.
        I think so because Toyota's design is to go over the front axle.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Why can't BMW just make a f*cking car for track enthusiasts?
        Because they don't care.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
        Why can't BMW just make a f*cking car for track enthusiasts?
        It's called the m2, nice suspension, wide fenders, big brakes, great trans, 380hp n55.....perfect
      1. BlackJetE90OC's Avatar
        BlackJetE90OC -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
        It's called the m2, nice suspension, wide fenders, big brakes, great trans, 380hp n55.....perfect
        Just hurts a little when they tease a two seat sports car barely over 3,000lbs. But then you read it will be a hybrid and awd. So much potential.
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Very true! Plus to be a track car they need to work on cooling for the n55 in the m2
      1. Kommodore's Avatar
        Kommodore -
        Thought the N20 was being phased out in lieu of the new B-series motors, starting with the 3-Series facelift?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Which B-Series motors?
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        My guess is it will have the B48 new turbo 4. Since the N55 is being replaced by the B58.
      1. sahyoun's Avatar
        sahyoun -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No, not really. The N55 is basically an N54 with a single turbo and Valvetronic. The N63TU is just an N63 with Valvetronic. The M50 engine family was around for over a decade.

        The N20 will still be here. Maybe an N20TU but it will still be the basic architecture.
        Don't forget the fully weighted crank on the n54 thats not on the n55 Click here to enlarge
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sahyoun Click here to enlarge
        My guess is it will have the B48 new turbo 4. Since the N55 is being replaced by the B58.
        I know about the B48. I highly doubt bmw would share powertrains with MINI cars. Then again, they have been making some poor choices lately.

        I havnt heard of the B58.