Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Compressor wheel that eats small cambodian children.

One of my coworkers was working on this project in the lab, can't say what he was doing or what engine this compressor belongs to. Only that it goes on a small gas turbine that produces about 6000 HP. The engine is about the size of a ford smallblock.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

epic.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Gas turbine engines cannot be beat at specific power output. You completely have to re-learn power figures when talking about gas turbines. A little gas turbine engine about the size of a small V8 can make over 5800 HP ALL DAY. The one we are designing right now can easily put out about 80,000 HP and it is only about the size of a small car.

But there can be drawbacks, like the powerband of these engines is extremely narrow (until they design variable geometry turbine blades) and they don't like to be turned on and off all the time. Everytime you turn off the engine, it consumes thousands of hours worth of life. So they make great powerplants that stay on forever, but would need to be redesigned if ever to go in a car.

Can you imagine though, a 6000 HP gas turbine engine in an E36?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

The BMW key and the laptop help put it in perspective.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Wow. Is that made out of a lolid block of titanium?
    That is awesome CNC work.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    I believe it's titanium as well. I have an experience with machinery titanium blocks, and it's one of toughest things I've done in my life.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

So that's a billet turbine? Very cool. I'd love to see the machine that made that thing! Must be a huge 5 axis machine. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

That is too crazy to believe. I just started laughing when I saw the size of the thing. holy crap
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Actually guys this is not made of titanium. It is made of a nickel based superalloy that I cannot disclose. Despite being nickel based, this compressor wheel is very light due to the extreme lengths taken to machine out unnecessary material.

The CNC work is nothing, the vanes are acid machined for smoothness and precision.

EDIT: At first glance I thought it was titanium too due to the color, that is actually a special coating.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    So that's a billet turbine? Very cool. I'd love to see the machine that made that thing! Must be a huge 5 axis machine. Click here to enlarge
    It is a billet compressor for a small gas turbine engine. I did some of the thermal analysis on the turbine blades, along with our team of engineers we redesigned the engine to produce an extra 150 HP by increasing the firing temperature of the combustors. This isnt easy to do, increasing the firing temperature forces you to run more exotic materials and cooling techniques.

The blades of the gas turbine have hundreds of holes in them called effusion holes that steal air from the compressor just to keep them cool. If this wasnt available the metal would melt instantly, the firing temperature of these engines is much higher than the melting point of most known nickel superalloys. Anyway, I'll post up pictures of more cool $#@! later.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2000C? maybe 3000C?! if the holes were not there but a space material could withstand it what temperature would it reach?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

The firing temperature of a typical combustor is about 2200F, most steels turn to liquid at that temperature. So blades are typically not steel, they are nickel alloys with lots of chromium for wear resistance and other alloying agents for creep life and good structural properties at elevated temperatures.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    The firing temperature of a typical combustor is about 2200F, most steels turn to liquid at that temperature. So blades are typically not steel, they are nickel alloys with lots of chromium for wear resistance and other alloying agents for creep life and good structural properties at elevated temperatures.

This is right up my alley. I used to do a lot of reading on the F100/110, the PW1129 and the TF30...all of this talk is stuff I've heard before Click here to enlarge. I think the 1129 or the F110 had turbine entry temps of 2400 degrees. Making 30,000lbs of thrust takes some hard doing....the so called engine torture tests runs them at full throttle and sometimes at overspeed and over temp conditions to see what happens with accelerated wear. I think the F100 had a bunch of issues with the 3rd turbine wheel failing 3/4 of the way through the tests...they never did fix it...that and hard-starts, or the equivalent of a car backfiring...it dogged that engine pretty bad.

Gas turbines are freaking awesome. I wish I could get a job working on them....
    Last edited by Itsbrokeagain; 09-02-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    This is right up my alley. I used to do a lot of reading on the F100/110, the PW1129 and the TF30...all of this talk is stuff I've heard before Click here to enlarge. I think the 1129 or the F110 had turbine entry temps of 2400 degrees. Making 30,000lbs of thrust takes some hard doing....the so called engine torture tests runs them at full throttle and sometimes at overspeed and over temp conditions to see what happens with accelerated wear. I think the F100 had a bunch of issues with the 3rd turbine wheel failing 3/4 of the way through the tests...they never did fix it...that and hard-starts, or the equivalent of a car backfiring...it dogged that engine pretty bad.

Gas turbines are freaking awesome. I wish I could get a job working on them....
    Yep. If people knew how much cooling turbine rotors and blades needed just to run without melting they probably wouldn't fly in airplanes. There is such a fine line between success and catastrophic failure in gas turbines, especially aircraft engines.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    2000C? maybe 3000C?! if the holes were not there but a space material could withstand it what temperature would it reach?
    they would operate in that range of temperatures. The problem is that there is nothing on the face of the earth so far that can withstand such direct contact with heat and survive it. It needs a film of cool air insulating it at all times.

The F100 engines had an audible warning in the cockpit incase of an engine stall. Each fan blade is like the wing of an airplane...it provides lift, or pushes air behind it as it rotates. The problem is that when air strikes it at a critical angle instead of straight on, it can no longer produce lift, subsequently stalling. This stops airflow through the engine, and the compressor is what provides the cool air to the turbine blades. Since there is still some air being burned in the engine, the combustor assembly continues to pass hot gases across the turbine blades, but now it has no protection, and if it goes unheeded severe damage can result to the turbine, the engine, or even the loss of the aircraft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    they would operate in that range of temperatures. The problem is that there is nothing on the face of the earth so far that can withstand such direct contact with heat and survive it. It needs a film of cool air insulating it at all times.

The F100 engines had an audible warning in the cockpit incase of an engine stall. Each fan blade is like the wing of an airplane...it provides lift, or pushes air behind it as it rotates. The problem is that when air strikes it at a critical angle instead of straight on, it can no longer produce lift, subsequently stalling. This stops airflow through the engine, and the compressor is what provides the cool air to the turbine blades. Since there is still some air being burned in the engine, the combustor assembly continues to pass hot gases across the turbine blades, but now it has no protection, and if it goes unheeded severe damage can result to the turbine, the engine, or even the loss of the aircraft.
    hi5 matt I didnt know you knew a damn thing about gas turbines... We could talk for many hours, no homo.

Don't forget the TBC coatings that all stage 1 nozzles and buckets need just so they don't melt from the gas temp. The combustors also have TBC (thermal barrier coating, it's a ceramic they coat the metal surface with to insulate it). Some of the new DLN 2.6+ GE combustors can hit almost 3000F firing temp!!!!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

hi5 matt I didnt know you knew a damn thing about gas turbines... We could talk for many hours, no homo.

Don't forget the TBC coatings that all stage 1 nozzles and buckets need just so they don't melt from the gas temp. The combustors also have TBC (thermal barrier coating, it's a ceramic they coat the metal surface with to insulate it). Some of the new DLN 2.6+ GE combustors can hit almost 3000F firing temp!!!!
    Military stuff is something ive always been into..i got a few books around in the house that are something like 400 pages that go through several aircraft and all their workings.

I went to school for Avionics, wish I could get a job in my field Click here to enlarge

jeez 3000F? thats like 600 degrees higher than anything out there I think right?
    Last edited by Itsbrokeagain; 09-04-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Military stuff is something ive always been into..i got a few books around in the house that are something like 400 pages that go through several aircraft and all their workings.

I went to school for Avionics, wish I could get a job in my field Click here to enlarge

jeez 3000F? thats like 600 degrees higher than anything out there I think right?
    Yea and they aren't the most reliable engines.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yea and they aren't the most reliable engines.
    which engine are you talking about? The one with the DLE 2.6 combustors? What is using them? The F-35 project?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

which engine are you talking about? The one with the DLE 2.6 combustors? What is using them? The F-35 project?
    No the DLN GE combustors are for land based gas turbines, powerplant engines etc... The 7FA+e and 9FA use those combustors.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

^^ thats basically what it does...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Hahaha, that is actually funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great Research!
    Josh M5 2011

Rep Points
    Mentioned