Close

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sharkatron Click here to enlarge
    So I've recently gone ahead and purchased an aftermarket FMIC. However, having it on the car for a week, I realised (after reading around the forums bit more) that I may have received an older stock, probably inferior FMIC due to having 8 charge rows instead of the 10. It has come to my attention that the 10 charge row version is the newer revision. So, I'm in a pickle as to what to do. I soloed the DIY and it was tough work getting it done by myself. I have not as yet contacted the vendor about this, but have discovered that other customers have been in my situation also with regards to this FMIC.

I have since contacted the company that manufactures the FMIC to ask whether there is any significant difference between the 2 editions. However, upon reading this thread, I want to know what you guys think - the overall size is the same, just that mine has 8 charge rows instead of the newer 10. It's going to be such a hassle (or even whether it's possible) to get the vendor to do an exchange. Who's paying for postage? And, I've noticed a couple of rocks have already dented some fins.

Yeah, I know I shoulda checked more carefully and done more research prior, but it's pretty difficult to know everything there is to know about your purchase - sometimes you learn as you go along. I also think that some of you may know the company I'm talking about. Anyway, I just want to know if there is any significant difference between ver1 and ver2. Thanks!
    Hello, I imagine you're talking about an ETS? In this case they changed quite a lot between version 1 and version 2. You have the 5" core, I would suggest selling your v1 5" and using the money to buy a 7" VSRF.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Hello, I imagine you're talking about an ETS? In this case they changed quite a lot between version 1 and version 2. You have the 5" core, I would suggest selling your v1 5" and using the money to buy a 7" VSRF.
    Thanks for the reply. But one of the main reasons I got my FMIC is because it requires a 'no-cutting' installation. And because I had such a hard time DIYing it myself, it'd be a pain to remove it. But, I will definitely do so if the differences between the ver 1 and ver 2 is great enough. So, what are the differences?

Also, having it on the car for a couple of weeks already, I'm not sure whether I can do anything to return an item which I feel I may not have got proper value for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply. But one of the main reasons I got my FMIC is because it requires a 'no-cutting' installation. And because I had such a hard time DIYing it myself, it'd be a pain to remove it. But, I will definitely do so if the differences between the ver 1 and ver 2 is great enough. So, what are the differences?

Also, having it on the car for a couple of weeks already, I'm not sure whether I can do anything to return an item which I feel I may not have got proper value for.
    If you bought it from an ETS vendor within the past few months you should have received the version 2, if you didn't contact the vendor and 'get compensated.' There's a very big difference in ETS's new fin pack, it's more dense = more surface area = more heat exchange = more win. V1 vs V2.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    If you bought it from an ETS vendor within the past few months you should have received the version 2, if you didn't contact the vendor and 'get compensated.' There's a very big difference in ETS's new fin pack, it's more dense = more surface area = more heat exchange = more win. V1 vs V2.
    Am definitely going down this track - but it depends on whether it really is that much worse off than ver 2. Yeah I get that more dense = more heat exchange, but doesn't it also follow that more dense means more pressure drop? I guess what I'm saying is that ver 1 may be worse off in the heat exchange department, but be better off in reducing pressure drop, which to some, may be even more important.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Am definitely going down this track - but it depends on whether it really is that much worse off than ver 2. Yeah I get that more dense = more heat exchange, but doesn't it also follow that more dense means more pressure drop? I guess what I'm saying is that ver 1 may be worse off in the heat exchange department, but be better off in reducing pressure drop, which to some, may be even more important.
    Nobody with the possible exception of ETS Michael has done back to back testing of the v1 vs v2 FMICs. This information you're looking for doesn't exist. We are free to speculate about pressure drop because of a denser core but we wont ever get anything definitive without back-to-back testing. Which won't happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're most likely right. But from a technical (and probably speculative) aspect, I'm interested to know what more charge rows do to pressure drop. Alot of the information in this thread has used theory to speculate the designs influencing pressure drop and heat transfer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You have a static FMIC 'container' volume and you're putting more stuff into the build envelope. More charge rows could flow better than less charge rows, or equivalent or worse. I'd be inclined to say worse because the the airflow gets disturbed when it hits the faces of the charge rows, ETS doesn't use rounded edges. More square edge = more disturbance = more pressure drop. To what degree and what are the mitigating factors? I don't know. Maybe the disturbance is proportional to the size of the face it's hitting, and there's MORE disturbance with wider charge rows.

Are you sure the purpose of your inquiry is not just so you can justify keeping your V1 ETS instead of returning it? Why would the V2 use a finer fin pack if it were inferior? Didn't you buy an ETS because of it's fin pack?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You're right to a certain extent. If I can avoid changing the FMIC then I will. But it really depends on how big a difference there is between the two. If it's only a little better, I'm not going to bother.

In any case, Michael from ETS has been most helpful in my enquiry and has alleviated most of my concerns. Thanks for the help!

Ah yes, I bought the ETS for it's non-cut installation. Too scared to cut!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hello,
    great designs......thanks for posting...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Soooo...what do people think of the new Cobb FMIC. Some quick observations in comparison to the Helix:
    -End tanks; sharply tapered as opposed to the bellmouth style on the Helix.
    -Charge Rows; 10; helix is 13. I'm guessing its a little smaller? Its 60% larger in core volume that stock...
    -Both have staggered and offset finpacks

Thoughts?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Soooo...what do people think of the new Cobb FMIC. Some quick observations in comparison to the Helix:
    -Charge Rows; 10; helix is 13. I'm guessing its a little smaller? Its 60% larger in core volume that stock...

Thoughts?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    My thoughts are why did Turner get photos and not us?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge

Thoughts?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Helix is better flowing, cools better, plus the reasons you mentioned. Helix also has curved bars in between the charge rows to smooth the air entering it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i like the CX racing core, it sees the most incoming air (tallest profile). on my car it runs really cool, even after several hard WOT pulls, the IAT's recover VERY rapidly if I'm moving > 30 mph.......in 100degree weather

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi guys!
    My first post here and I'd just lite to start by saying: Damn this forum is great! Click here to enlarge So much knowledge about the greatest things in life, BMW and boost!
    Hope you don't mind blowing some new life into this old thread.

I drive a 335dT as a daily driver. I do about 20.600 miles/year in it. Removed my DPF, BMC air filter in OEM box, stock exhaust, stock IC, stock EGR. Boost is 2.7 bar at the peak, 2.5-2.6 when it has settled, (39.16026 psi) mapped by DieselPower in Norway.
    Dyno says 313.34WHp/573.15WNm. When recalculated for loss over drive train that should give 365Hp/751Nm on crank. (also did a dyno when 100% stock to measure the loss over drive train)

Now my IC's given up (leaking), and also the red hose from the turbo to IC. New hose ordered from Forge.
    But after reading on this forum for hours I still cant decide which IC to buy. Im not gonna spend $1000 on a IC (Wagner, Helix etc.) so here are the four ones I'm choosing between. I know that they are all Chinese crap in many peoples eyes, but I'd like to give it a go and learn from my mistakes.Click here to enlarge

Plans: EGR removal, IC and plumbing upgrade, separate CCV tank, and possibly a better exhaust. And a remap after all this has been done.

So, all you flow and boost experts out there, could you rate these from 1-4?

1st: 26"x6"x5" (core 20"x6"x5")
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

2nd: 27"x6"x6" (core 22"x6"x6")
    Click here to enlarge

3rd: 24,5"x11.8".3" (core 17.71"x11.8"x3") (Big Tom)
    Click here to enlarge

4th: 24,5"x11.8".4" (core 17.71"x11.8"x4") (Big Tom)
    Click here to enlarge

I know that the last two has, how should I put it without hurting anyones feelings, less appropriate designed endtanks. (just as good as a roulette table shaped as a square?) And then some people says that the thicker core on the other models are ineffective in other ways.

It would be really fun to get the experts ideas on this matter.
    Is DBFIU still around spreading the wisdom perhaps?

Thanks in advance guys.

//Anders

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I don't know how big of a variance there will be but if you don't want to spend the money just be prepared to get what you pay for.

Try one out and let us know how it goes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

not sure if you mention this but the cores also play a big part in flow, efficiency, and weight which are on par with the end tank design
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'd go for a Big Tom intercooler. He once raced a guy with a different intercooler, and Big Tom beat him. It don't get no more sientifik than that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aaron Click here to enlarge
    I'd go for a Big Tom intercooler. He once raced a guy with a different intercooler, and Big Tom beat him. It don't get no more sientifik than that.
    There's a few more variables to it than just an intercooler though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sarcasm missed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Now you get rep, ha. I thought you were serious too.

hmmm....I don't think science means what you think it means.Click here to enlarge
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Sarcasm missed.
    I look forward to a better effort.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I look forward to you being a rocket scientist, but we can't all be the red crayon in the box.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I look forward to you being a rocket scientist, but we can't all be the red crayon in the box.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is better a custom IC.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789