Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones - questions/recommendations

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Headphones - questions/recommendations

I am looking for a good pair (nothing crazy - willing to pay 300ish) of headphones. I had heard "Beats" - but my friend has a pair, and isn't too happy with them. I am looking into getting some Sennheiser's - but am not sure if I am paying for wireless technology or sound quality.

I have pared my choice to this (looking for the past hour)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PXC...0656291&sr=8-1

Anyone have advice/comments/recommendations?

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have a Sennheiser headset, and they do make fantastic headphones. Your budget is pretty high so you can get a pretty high quality pair. Denon also makes great quality sets as well so you could look them up. I generally have a hate for wireless stuff like headphones, my friend had a turtle beach and it clicked every few seconds, he said it was normal, it's communicating and $#@!. So since I like my sound to be the purest and best I rock wired all day every day. The wireless to me is nothing but a gimmick, I sit down listen to stuff and I don't walk around pretending I'm in a music video (what other reason would you need wireless headphone?)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

thanks - this helps a lot actually. I was concerned about the wireless/bt - and a few people mentioned the same (stutter) when watching video (not sure why the source matters). My main use would be for listening to music at work - and would probably take them home at night/weekends for gaming/listening to music at home.

I sit at a desk all day - and would like the flexibility of not having a cord (portability - less clutter), but this definitely changed my mind.

I will check out Denon - what pair of Sennheiser's do you have? Any cons?

Thanks again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

You can go into the bose store and bring your iphone or whatever with you and plug it in and try all their headphones out. That is how I picked out my set, I recommend it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I have the PC360 headset, I do a lot of mmo gaming that requires me having a mic but I also have a sound card and headphone amp so I can listen to music at the best quality money allows me. This is my headset:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/PC-head...headset-504122

One downside that I have is that on the right ear bud there is a little dial that adjusts volume. Something went wrong with it and when I had it cranked to full blast then the audio in the left ear bud would start crackling or just mute itself completely. Since the headset was 1 year old I just sent it in to Sennheiser and a week later they sent me a brand new one (not refurbished) where I can tell the dial already has a better feel to it. I searched the internet and found only 1 other person that had the problem I did so I'm pretty sure it's not something to be weary of. Plus the great turnaround time from Sennheiser to get me the new headset was fast. The only downside is I had to pay for my own shipping to them.

As far as Dr. Dre Beats, those are total bull$#@!, on par with Monster cables, a bunch of myths and lies, the only thing they have is great marketing like Bose which I also wouldn't recommend. For the amount of money you spend on supposedly "high quality" Bose anything you can get a much better product from a true audiophile manufacturer such as Audio Technica, Denon, and Sennheiser.

BTW, my friend has a pair of Denon 5000 that are sold here: http://www.diymicro.com/prodinfo.pht...1&ref=froogdiy
    I know, extremely expensive but they are fantastic quality headphones and the sound is amazingly clear. You also want to make sure you have equipment that is good enough to put out good sound or you're just doing a whole bunch of overkill on the headphone side and you wont really hear the difference from a $500 pair to a $100 pair. Source is just as important as the equipment receiving the sound.

So my next question is: What are you looking to do with them? This is my setup in addition to my headset:

Sound card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102033

Headphone amp:
    http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Desktop-H.../dp/B004M172FY
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as Dr. Dre Beats, those are total bull$#@!, on par with Monster cables,
    I agree somewhat. I had the beats headphones, and they broke. However, the sound quality was awesome. My bose headphones are close to the sound quality but the build quality is lightyears ahead.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

@Sticky - thanks, I will check it out... I actually need to run out to Schaumburg (BMW dealer) this weekend, and they have a BOSE store out that way. Good to know I can test before buying. This is the hardest part about this - every review I read has both bad and good (like any review I guess).

@sr20 - those Denon headphones look incredible. Quite honestly, for gaming - after looking at what you have, I wouldn't have good enough power/drive to use even half of those things offer.

On the other hand, I have a very good amp and receiver for my home theater... This would be where I would get signal from when at home (watching movies/listening to music). I wouldn't mind getting a nicer sound card... The one in my current computer is crap (on-motherboard) - and my other computer is a MBP - so it's not worth the hassle. I am really leaning towards the Sennheiser - but will check out BOSE while out this weekend. My parents used to have a pair of 701 floor standing speakers (not made for some reason anymore) - and they were literally incredible for the money.

That makes 3 people so far that say the Dr. Dre Beats are crap... It's funny how well marketing works - I almost made a nonsense move and bought them on Amazon before doing research. I thought "they must be good" - but now know better.

Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know what I get.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    That makes 3 people so far that say the Dr. Dre Beats are crap... It's funny how well marketing works - I almost made a nonsense move and bought them on Amazon before doing research. I thought "they must be good" - but now know better.
    I'm not saying they are crap, the sound quality was awesome. The build quality was $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Beats = BOSE in terms of all show and no go. Any audiophile will let you know that straight away.

Seinnheiser's are great, I've had two pairs in the 150-200 range and they have been superb. One is just on its last leg (7 years later).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Beats = BOSE in terms of all show and no go. Any audiophile will let you know that straight away.
    What are you talking about man.

I own both, great sound quality. The Bose are flat out awesome from a sound and build standpoint.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What are you talking about man.

I own both, great sound quality. The Bose are flat out awesome from a sound and build standpoint.
    Which BOSE/Beats headphones do you own?

edit: I take what I've said back, value is in the eye of the beholder. If they sound good to you, and you enjoy them, what else matters?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Which BOSE/Beats headphones do you own?

edit: I take what I've said back, value is in the eye of the beholder. If they sound good to you, and you enjoy them, what else matters?
    It's not that you need to take it back I just think it is unfair to discount their products as a whole the way you did.

I own the bose mie2 (posted in another headphone thread about them) and I had the beats in ear headphones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I am checking them out for sure this weekend. Click here to enlarge

Again - those 701s left an audio-imprint in my head, and this was a WHILE ago. I know a few people at work that have the non-over-ear ones (but are close) - if anything, I would most likely get the full over ear, but will check them all out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Audio Technica m50
    Sennheiser HD 518/558
    Sony MDR V6 if you want a very flat low bass headphone
    Grado SR80i

all of the above will murder bose and massacre beats $ per $

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I have SR80i and they are very good.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I ordered these and they came today. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but they worked well when I tried them. They seem really comfy on the head, don't hurt the ears like some other headphones, barely even touch the ears.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Ga...0723024&sr=1-2
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It's not that you need to take it back I just think it is unfair to discount their products as a whole the way you did.

I own the bose mie2 (posted in another headphone thread about them) and I had the beats in ear headphones.
    this

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scott_uw Click here to enlarge
    Audio Technica m50
    Sennheiser HD 518/558
    Sony MDR V6 if you want a very flat low bass headphone
    Grado SR80i

all of the above will murder bose and massacre beats $ per $
    although the grados do cost an arm and a leg...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I've spent too long searching for the best earphones, THE headphones you are going to want are the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. You will literally hear parts of songs that you never knew existed, each earphone has 2 subwoofers and a tweeter inside, they are used as stage monitors by many famous artists, and recently they have been bought out by logitech but retain their own products. They run $399 now but amazon had a gold box special a while ago for $99 so I found someone reselling on craigslist for $150:
    three armature speakers per ear, audio filters and a passive crossover circuit to separate high, mid, and low frequencies

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Have you guys seen these? $1350 but they are custom made to spec for your ear canal and apparently the best money can buy. I want them, but I know I'd lose/break them: http://ultimateears.logitech.com/en-us/home/18-Pro
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Have you guys seen these? $1350 but they are custom made to spec for your ear canal and apparently the best money can buy. I want them, but I know I'd lose/break them: http://ultimateears.logitech.com/en-us/home/18-Pro
    Wonder if they'll take my kidney as a payment.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Had my Beyer Dynamics quite a while now and other than not having quite as much bass as I would like, they are great and a good price!
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD 518... I ordered them on sale for 80 dollars with shipping. Much less than I was going to spend, so if it's not what I expect quality-wise (I think they will be fine based on what you guys said) - I can always get something else later.

I'll let you know how they are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Oh nice!

I was gonna suggest the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro.

They have gotten incredible reviews and I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a pair this week. Their headquarters are actually only 15 mins from my house.
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG_M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Grado SR325is, made in Brooklyn. Buy them. For anyone using an "i" device without an external DAC or headphone amp, Audyssey makes a great app that is customized to your specific model of headphones. It could be some electronic hooey, but they do change the sound that I prefer for my Grados. If they don't support your model, you can request it or find the next closest model from the same manufacturer. Worth the .99.
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Have demoed many cans (friend is a deranged audiophile), I wound up finally settling on a set of modded (stuffed, padded and corded) Beyer DT990s 660ohm with a WA3. Just picked up a set of AKG 3003s for a smoking price, haven't tried them however. Possibly thinking of selling them since I rarely use buds. Anyway, the DT990/WA3 is an awesome combo. I will say, having demoed the various Beyers, Senns, Grados (I'm not a grado fan, however), etc, that all of the above need a headphone amp and a good DAC. However, Beyers really need the amplification. Plugging my 990s into an iphone makes them borderline unlistenable, your ears fatigue after a single song.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast