Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions on my new car - M3, C63, IS-F, Mustange, or Challenger?

whiteshadow001 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Need suggestions on my new car - M3, C63, IS-F, Mustange, or Challenger?

Ok so I'm new to these forums and looking for a bit of help. My grandfather is getting me a new car pretty soon, and gave me the options o choose whatever I want because it'll be the last car he ever buys me. The car I choose will be my daily driver so I'm looking for the most comfortable car that will suit both daily driving and the occasional visit to the track. I've narrowed it down to about 3-4 cars.

Here's the list:
    2012 BMW M3 Coupe
    2012 Mercedes C63 AMG
    2012 Lexus ISF
    and maybe 2012 Challenger SRT8 392 or 2012-13 Mustang 5.0

I've test driven the M3, the SRT8, and the 2012 Mustang and so far I'm leaning heavily toward the M3. If any of you guys have personally driven the AMG or the ISF your input would be greatly appreciated.

Sticky is offline Regular User

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

Thread moved to general.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

You can cross the IS-F right off that list, it's the worst car out of the bunch IMO.

The Mustang is a completely different price point. I'd say up that to a GT500 and we are talking.

The M3 is the best overall car on your list. It is what I would choose. The C63 would be my second choice.

whiteshadow001 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the Reply. I thought the M3 is what I'd end up with, but I wanted to have other choices too. The C63 looks and sounds awesome and I'll probably narrow it down to just the M3 and the C63. I'm 21 years old so this will be my every day car for quite a while. Any other cars you'd recommend?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the Reply. I thought the M3 is what I'd end up with, but I wanted to have other choices too. The C63 looks and sounds awesome and I'll probably narrow it down to just the M3 and the C63. I'm 21 years old so this will be my every day car for quite a while. Any other cars you'd recommend?
    For a 21 year old? Yes, I think you should also add a Veyron to your list as well as an Aventador. Consider both as well so you don't get bored.

Autobahn335i is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 Click here to enlarge
    I don't know anything about your financial background, but are you sure you can keep up with the high maintenance costs of these cars? At 21, you may be better of getting a "normal" car and saving up a bit. You'll thank yourself later! Because "later", you'll have alot more expenses to maintain a certain living standard and probably won't be able to save much, unless you're gaining high.

And statistically, 21yrs + sports car is not a very good match...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    I don't know anything about your financial background, but are you sure you can keep up with the high maintenance costs of these cars? At 21, you may be better of getting a "normal" car and saving up a bit. You'll thank yourself later! Because "later", you'll have alot more expenses to maintain a certain living standard and probably won't be able to save much, unless you're gaining high.

And statistically, 21yrs + sports car is not a very good match...
    Eh forget this advice, it's terrible.

Just save up a little longer and get a 458 Italia. Then send it to UGR for turbos.

Come on guys, give him some good suggestions.

Sorena is offline Senior Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

It depends on your expectations. I DD a M3 and it's got all i want, babysit the car and it will return a good MPG as well and in track days it won't let you down.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    You can cross the IS-F right off that list, it's the worst car out of the bunch IMO.
    2012 IS-F got some changes which made it a more agile car while it's comfort enough for DD. The tranny though still sucks.

DavidV is online now Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

If by track you mean a drag strip, go for the AMG, or a modded domestic car.
    If your favorit track includes corners the AMG just fell off the scale and that left only the M3 looking pretty.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Sledgehammer is offline Sweeping these streets...
    broke!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Buy a Boss 302 and stalk the cars on your list... Decent on gas, great price vs all the others and a massive aftermarket should you choose to take it further. Skip the F its garbage, skip the M its overpriced for what you get and skip the AMG unless you like the auto trans thing since its your only option.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

ultimateendz is offline Member
    back

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

cross shopping the challenger and mustang....why not try the cts-v or even the zl1 camaro?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

FWIW, the M3 is at the very end of it's lifecycle and will be replaced by a completely new model very soon. Of your choices, I think the C63 AMG coupe offers the best balance of performance and luxury - especially with the P31 package. It's also a brand new model. While it may not be as sharp as an M3, the low-end torque is something to behold and will prove to be more "fun" than the M3 in most daily driving scenarios.

Regarding your other choices, I'd never cross-shop any of these cars with an American muscle car (lacking sophistication/luxury) and the IS-F, while a nice car, is outmatched against the M3/C63.
    Current: C63 Coupe: Polar White/Classic Red, P31, H&R, Mode Carbon, RevoZport, Renn Motorsport
    SOLD: B8 S4 Sprint Blue Pearl, DSG, Stasis everything.
    SOLD Eurocharged C63: ARKYM, Forgestar, K&N, Revozport, Custom Rear Lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Hyundai Genesis, or 335I much better suited and tailored right to a 21 y/o

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

If wouldn't even want a free Hyundai Genesis when I was 21.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Hyundai Genesis, or 335I much better suited and tailored right to a 21 y/o
    I agree with this post. Add a G37S to that list as well.

If you have a steady job where you could pay out of pocket for repairs, by all means, buy whatever you want.
    Click here to enlarge
    Bimmers + Chipotle + Beautiful Women = Life is Good

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I definitely agree with what others are saying about maintenance costs. Just because someone is going to buy you the car, doesn't mean that you can afford to own it.

When I had my e46 m3 I was spending $1600 a year on tires, and a couple thousand in maintenance on top of that.

And keep in mind, sometimes stuff breaks. When that happens with an M3 or a C63, it's going to be a lot more expensive to fix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

Buy brand new and you get the warranty. Only thing you need to worry about are tires.

But if you can't afford to mod it what's the point?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Buy brand new and you get the warranty. Only thing you need to worry about are tires.

But if you can't afford to mod it what's the point?
    Bingo.

I based my purchase on "mod-ability" (talking about the Jetta, not the 545i). Sure I could have went out an purchased a 335i or E46 M3. But then I would sit on the boards all day and dream about things I can/want to do to my car.
    Click here to enlarge

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by silvergray545 Click here to enlarge
    But then I would sit on the boards all day and dream about things I can/want to do to my car.
    Heh, good point.

Although I still do this while doing things to my car. The sickness never ends...

hworang00 is online now Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ok...I was in a similar boat a few months ago (I'm 24, so I'm a little older than you but definitely know how it feels).

Here's my take on the cars:

M3 - GREAT car...I've always loved how the 3's handle and it's a nice car. It can handle anything you throw at it, but it feels a little lackluster (more on that in a second) to me when compared to FBO 335's or even my almost FBO 535i, with price point in mind. You won't be unhappy with an M3...I can guarantee that. I wanted one ever since I bought my 325Ci back in '03. This was my car of choice going into my situation. But I felt that the car was missing something in the torque department and the sound. Of course, you can upgrade the exhaust and all that but compared to the C63, stock, it holds no comparison.

C63 - Go drive one of these, it'll put a freaking smile on your face from ear to ear. I was torn REALLY badly between the M3 and the C63, but I eventually went with the C63 because it will mainly be a DD, and the fact is that I want to be happy 90% of the year, not the 10% of the year I track the car. I understand it's short comings (happy tail, gas mileage, handling vs. m3, etc.), but with the P31 package, it's a car to be reckoned with. It's an amazingly quick car, and looks better than the M3 IMHO. (This is obviously the car I went with)

IS-F - This was a good car to drive, not a great one. I drove it and it surprised me a bit, and I even contemplated getting one because it sounds so nice after 3.5k RPMs...but once you drive the C63 or M3...it drops off the list like a bag of rocks. It's a nice car and a great foray from Lexus into this class, but it's still got a LOT of catching up to do on the M3 and C63.

The other cars - I agree with Sticky on this one and say that unless you go for the GT500...you'll be selling yourself short and you'll be missing out on quite a lot.

I think it all comes down to what you want from the car. I won't be killing the car and racing with people in the street or even tracking it that much. I'll go over the speed limit by maybe 10-20 mph, so the C63 to me was the obvious choice. If you like to drive like you're running from gangsters that you double crossed in a transport job...then go with the M3...like I said, the 3's handle like you're God playing with a toy car. The IS-F is a cheaper car to maintain but I think it's just not on the same level.

When it comes to maintenance and all that, I think it is important to figure out what's going on your financial status. The deal I had with my parents was that they would pay for this car, but I would take car of all the maintenance and costs afterwards, thus I sold my 535i and will use that money to pay for that along with some other things I have to take care of. If you do some research you'll see the costs of maintaining a higher end luxury sports car. If you think you can responsibly manage it, and you can honestly say that you are ready for it, then go for it man. Don't let age stop you from doing that. Age is not a level of maturity.

I think that you have a very fortunate dilemma infront of you, one that many would love to have, but you just be honest with yourself, and be responsible (not completely because you are 21 and you can have some fun with this $#@!!!) but make a smart decision. If you do the research and plan it out a bit, you won't have any regrets!

In regards to modding, I will eventually mod it, and I know that. I'm not going to sit here and lie to myself or anyone about it. But the question is when, not if. But, no disrespect to Sticky or anyone else, don't let other dictate what you do with your car. I personally feel, for right now, I'm happy with the stock power level of a P31 C63. In a year or two, after I learn the limitations of my car and where I feel like it lacks and accels, I'll mod it accordingly. But as for right now, the only "mods" I have lined up are the Weistec Air/Oil separator and a VBox, and I guess a radar detector if you count that as a mod.

I'll link my thread so you can gauge what people were saying

http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...-I-guess/page3

PS: Sticky, I know you prefaced with "I'm over BMW right now" but I hope you remember telling me to go with the C63 for something different Click here to enlarge

DISCLAIMER: I ended up falling in love with the C63 after I drove it all out, I had to baby the '09 C63 because the salesman was kind of a puss and it was POURING rain outside. Hope my long ass post helps man...and good luck with your decision, it's a $#@!ing tough one, hahaha. Either way keep me/us posted and if you have any other questions about it, LMK...I'd gladly help out.
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Heh, good point.

Although I still do this while doing things to my car. The sickness never ends...
    I started with the 545i but then I accumulated a bill of over $7k in one month. I was so shocked that I spent that much in one month, I turn around and returned/sold everything I bought. I knew once I started, it would never end. I was kinda happy my gf (at the time) talked me out of spending all that money. But now I'm single so I'm sure I'll go buck wild on my next car. Haha
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1M
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

I started with the 545i but then I accumulated a bill of over $7k in one month. I was so shocked that I spent that much in one month
    If I showed you my invoice just at Gintani...

But now I'm single so I'm sure I'll go buck wild on my next car. Haha
    Thank God I'm single. I dread the day I have some woman sucking my wallet dry and in turn all I get is... well, sucked dry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

If I showed you my invoice just at Gintani...

Thank God I'm single. I dread the day I have some woman sucking my wallet dry and in turn all I get is... well, sucked dry.
    get one that makes the money!
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    get one that makes the money!
    A pretty female that gives me money instead of me giving her money? What planet do you live on?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast