Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

C63 mail order ECU tune issues

I have received a few e-mails on this topic so about time to address it. Now, I don't know who this person is or if they are even a real person. Chances are however that they are and they are telling the truth. I leave it up to you to decide. Here it is:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Immelman
    I purchased a 2009 C63 a couple of months ago and have been following the mbworld forum for a little while now. This is my first post and I regret that it has to be in a negative context but I hope to save someone else from the $$ and the headaches that I have just been through. Let me also say, that I realize that there followers and fan boys of certain tuners and I will not argue back and forth over this thread with anyone. I will simply present the facts of my experience and you can decide if this information is helpful in any future decisions you make modifying your vehicle.

Based on the large power gains available, I knew that my first mod would be an ECU tune. To give you a little background, I am not new to modifying cars and/or computers for that matter. At a minimum, I have done ECU tunes to almost every car I have owned since the late 1980’s. Actually, most vehicles stored the ECU tuning on E-Proms back then. Additionally, I have 17 years experience as an Industrial automation systems engineer dealing with Controllers and Electronics very similar to automotive ECU’s. Being new to the C63, I joined this forum and did quite a bit of reading. I quickly noticed that were many tuners to choose from and based on the ¼ Mile times posted here on the forum I narrowed down my choice to Modern Horsepower (MHP). Turns out for me, MHP was the wrong choice! Read on, if your interested in my story.

After a couple of discussions with Andy of (MHP) I carefully removed and thoroughly packaged my ECU. My ECU had no less than 5 full wraps of bubble wrap around it and was securely packaged in a fairly large box. The Fedex guy watched me pack it and even made me keep adding bubble wrap. This thing was packed extremly well. Overkill, to say the least. I then shipped it off to MHP. The next Day, I received an email from MHP a.k.a Andrew Cluck stating the following “Just wanted to give you a heads up. ECU arrived, we unpacked and prepared to open and heard a rattle inside the ECU. Not sure if it was like this when you shipped or if FedEx played floor hockey with the box last night”. My first thought was how the hell was this thing damaged in shipping, it was so thoroughly wrapped that you could have literally have thrown it out of the 2nd floor window of an office building. I asked (MHP) Andy if there was any damage to the outside of the ECU case itself. He responded that there was “no”damage at all to the outside of the ecu. The damage was to something internal on the circuit board “looks like some kind of resistor” he said. Now I’m really suspicious… So, he heard a rattle and went ahead and opened it anyway? (Common sense say’s these ECU’s are capable of handling quite a bit of shock and vibration? The ECU is mounted just above and behind the front wheel. Think about that next time you hit a huge pothole or for that matter get into an accident with the vehicle… Does crap fall off the circuit Board in those situations? I don’t think so… Secondly, after having to buy a new ECU, I had a clear look a how Mercedes ships a new ECU? They sent my new ECU in a box barely bigger than the ECU itself and it had a couple of pieces of thin carboard wrapped around it. Believe me, if these things were as fragile as MHP claims, Mercedes would not be shipping them with so little protection…..) Aggrivated, and suspicious, I then asked Andy to provide both pictures of the shipping Box and the damage to the ECU which he did. After looking at the picture of the damaged component on the board I had a pretty strong feeling that this damage was done by MHP while opening the ECU. I sent the pictures to a few other tuners and some ECU repair shops and they all, without a doubt confirmed my thoughts. Most, laughed when I told them this damage was supposedly done in shipping and there was no damage to the ECU case itself. I was also told that these ECU are glued/bonded together pretty well from the factory and take a bit of caution, patience, and finesse to separate the cover from the body. More than likely, whatever MHP (Andy) was using to pry the case halves apart slipped into the inside and knocked the component off of the circuit board. After seeing the pictures, I then called MHP again and asked Andy directly if he accidentally damaged the ECU when opening it. Andy denied that he or MHP damaged the ECU. He then told me that he could not write to the ECU and that he would be sending it back to me broken….. Really?? Are you kidding me? Break a customers ECU, deny it, send it back and wash your hands of the situation.. Wow, that’s customer service!! (There were many more phone conversations and text messages over this matter. Some were heated.)

The next day, I receive an ECU back in the mail. I open the shipping box and begin to undo the screws of the cover of the ECU to inspect the damage myself. As I am undoing the screws, and before I can get the ECU open my phone rings. It’s Andy with MHP, “I sent you the wrong ECU back, it’s not yours” he states. Wow, really! How do you know that you broke mine and not someone elses then? Andy states that I need to send it back immediately because he gave me another customers ECU instead of mine. Luckily for me, I had taken a picture of my ECU when I pulled it out of the vehichle. I purposely did this to make sure that I got my ECU back and not someone else’s. I quickly confirm with the picture that this is the same ECU that I sent to MHP. I explain to Andy that the tag on this ECU matches the one in the photo that I took before sending it to MHP. He then say’s “I must have swapped the cover with someone else’s ECU”. Wow, MHP really has their shi* together. Mysteriously broken circuit board of ECU with no outer case damage, swapped ECU covers, posting under multiple user names online and a host of other shady information… Later on that evening, I tell Andy that I’m not sending this ECU back because the cover and all of the numbers on the label match the photo of the ECU I sent to MHP. After the fact, I also opened the cover and verified that the ECU I had in hand was indeed the ECU with the broken circuitry on the board. Additionally, I have since verified that this ECU was in fact my original ECU since my VIN was still in this ECU. I have no idea what Andy did with that other customers ECU, maybe he swapped covers with yet a third person.. All I know is that the ECU that came back t me was broken and had my VIN in it. Much more conversation went on with Andy and I over this matter and it has not been remedied by MHP. I have asked MHP to cover the cost of the new ECU, the TOW and charge for the local dealer to marry the new ECU that I had to purchase to my car. MHP continues to deny any wrongdoing but the evidence and shady stories from Andy speak for themselves. Hope you didn’t think I forgot you ANDY!! It’s been around a month, I gave you ample opportunity to make this right! Damaged in Shipping????? Click here to enlarge C’mon Andy….. Really!!!!!

Buyers Beware!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now it's easy to condemn Andy before we see evidence however I would like to see these pictures the poster claims of having. Those would help credibility.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, and how about that, here are pics:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn...Thank God I didn't go with mhp!
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Heard about this a while ago. The story gets even crazier then what was posted

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Heard about this a while ago. The story gets even crazier then what was posted
    Elaborate?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Joe, the guy who had thesis ECU shipped to the guy above has surfaced on bmworld...looks like Andy could be partially telling the truth and there more to the story.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
    Joe, the guy who had thesis ECU shipped to the guy above has surfaced on bmworld...looks like Andy could be partially telling the truth and there more to the story.
    It sure is being muddied quite fast. Let's see what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought I heard this story before. its sounds like a woman scorn..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Andy sent a bill to the OP for having to buy the other guy an ecu. Insult to injury.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Andy sent a bill to the OP for having to buy the other guy an ecu. Insult to injury.
    How do you know this?

So what do you think really happened?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You should see the hits on this subject on Mbworld. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    You should see the hits on this subject on Mbworld. LOL
    People complain but they eat up drama.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People complain but they eat up drama.
    People do complain and then you have fukhead Dodger making comments like this,

"Some come here from boost abortion and think anything goes"

None of this surprises me at all. There are always multiple sides to a story but it always seems that the stories and finger pointing surround MHP and Andy. I'm not sure when people will ever learn. Just because there are a handful of dipshits like Dodger and BadBenz who stick up for Andy/MHP doesn't mean his products or his "records" are worth a $#@!. Andy has a couple guys who he has conned into going very deep into the modding game just to make a name for himself - he doesn't give a $#@! about your average guy who just wants a tune. That average guy is Andys bread and butter to screw over, but as long as he has a few guys who rave about him people seem to think he knows what he's doing. But that is what EVERY con man does.....they keep one or two guys (aka suckers) really close to them and treat them great while $#@!ing everyone else over. That is the game and sooner or later those "suckers" will get thrown under the bus when Andy has no more business and then they'll wonder what the hell happened because Andy was such a good guy, treated them so well, went above and beyond the call of duty, answered their calls and texts immediatly etc etc etc....
    That's called hook, line and sinker. It's only a matter of time before Andy is out of business with the way his biggest fanboys are turning to Wesitec. And now his "NEW" tuner who apparently nobody knows his identity broke a cutomers ECU ?????? LOL!!!!!!!! Classic. Any $#@!wit stupid enough to send Andy ANYTHING deserves whatever happens to them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is dodger angry or upset about? Do people here treat him badly or something?

I've always treated him with respect so that is a little disappointing. I'm surprised he thinks this is anything goes as well. More freedom does not equal chaos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge

None of this surprises me at all. There are always multiple sides to a story but it always seems that the stories and finger pointing surround MHP and Andy. I'm not sure when people will ever learn. Just because there are a handful of dipshits like Dodger and BadBenz who stick up for Andy/MHP doesn't mean his products or his "records" are worth a $#@!. Andy has a couple guys who he has conned into going very deep into the modding game just to make a name for himself - he doesn't give a $#@! about your average guy who just wants a tune. That average guy is Andys bread and butter to screw over, but as long as he has a few guys who rave about him people seem to think he knows what he's doing. But that is what EVERY con man does.....they keep one or two guys (aka suckers) really close to them and treat them great while $#@!ing everyone else over. That is the game and sooner or later those "suckers" will get thrown under the bus when Andy has no more business and then they'll wonder what the hell happened because Andy was such a good guy, treated them so well, went above and beyond the call of duty, answered their calls and texts immediatly etc etc etc....
    That's called hook, line and sinker. It's only a matter of time before Andy is out of business with the way his biggest fanboys are turning to Wesitec. And now his "NEW" tuner who apparently nobody knows his identity broke a cutomers ECU ?????? LOL!!!!!!!! Classic. Any $#@!wit stupid enough to send Andy ANYTHING deserves whatever happens to them.
    I feel your pain bro. Dodger is the biggest Mhp fan boy.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is dodger angry or upset about? Do people here treat him badly or something?

I've always treated him with respect so that is a little disappointing. I'm surprised he thinks this is anything goes as well. More freedom does not equal chaos.
    He posts BS and nonsense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    He posts BS and nonsense.
    I think he is upset because he is one of the token MHP guys but I do not fault him personally for what he chooses to do with his own car. I just don't see why he would put down a community that certainly does not hold him accountable or criticizes him in any way for Andy's missteps. Combine this with the fact he can post whatever he wants and has never been stopped from doing so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That thread is turning into a real $#@! storm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that thread is getting bad quickly....i wish the op would have let us fix the ecu....
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think he is upset because he is one of the token MHP guys but I do not fault him personally for what he chooses to do with his own car. I just don't see why he would put down a community that certainly does not hold him accountable or criticizes him in any way for Andy's missteps. Combine this with the fact he can post whatever he wants and has never been stopped from doing so.
    Because he's a $#@!in fag, that's why. On one hand he talks $#@! about this site, yet frequently posts here. I'm sure he'll be here soon enough to defend Andy and tell us all for the umpteenth time how he doesn't like the drama and just wants to go fast!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think if it wasn't for him. Mhp would go to $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because he's a $#@!in fag, that's why. On one hand he talks $#@! about this site, yet frequently posts here. I'm sure he'll be here soon enough to defend Andy and tell us all for the umpteenth time how he doesn't like the drama and just wants to go fast!!!
    +1 LOL. I wish I could rep you again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Is Andy the case of "well he's a good guy BUT.."?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    was such a good guy, treated them so well, went above and beyond the call of duty, answered their calls and texts immediatly etc etc etc....
    im sorry, but i find the irony funny

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast