Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    BEYOND cool! Thanks for sharing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

http://www.fox2127.com/global/catego...clipId=7935195

One of the local news channels came by a couple weeks ago and did a story on the shop. It was done on one my off days so i'm not in it.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

what are the torque numbers of that monster?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m3dragon Click here to enlarge
    what are the torque numbers of that monster?
    ~20,000ftlbs@1055rpms
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Duplicate post
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    10,000lb - Pish that is not enough. i think you need more HAHA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey guys, haven't posted an update in a long time because we haven't had much interesting come in. However, yesterday we had an interesting development.

The latest generation GE locomotives(Tier 3 Evolution series) apparently have "suspect" connecting rods. GE thinks a certain batch of rods have defect in their machining process and are likely to fail so we are replacing them before they fail and take some blocks with them. So me and a coworker were given the task of doing the first set.

Here's a pic showing the engine assembled. The Tier 3s use common rail fuel injection and that's what the metal lines are running from power assembly to power assembly.
    Click here to enlarge

Here's a pic of the two rods we have to pull after the cylinder heads were removed. The next step is to pull the connecting rod cap and pull the piston/rod assembly with the liner.
    Click here to enlarge

Here's the rod/piston/liner assembly in a rack
    Click here to enlarge

Here's the new rod/piston in the shipping box with the lifting fixture attached
    Click here to enlarge

Here's the piston/rod in the rack, damn it's shiny lol The older style Evos used an articulation piston(crown can swivel independatly of the skirt) but the Tier 3s use a traditional fixed piston.
    Click here to enlarge

Here it is after we swapped the liner onto the new rod and are just about to reinstall it
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

cool

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Damn that's massive lol. Look at it compared to the ladder

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing this - really cool stuff... Repped for awesomeness.

How much does the rod+piston that's in the box in the above picture (the new one that has the lifting fixture attached) weigh? What's the purpose of including the lifting fixture as opposed to using your own?

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The piston/rod combo weighs ~200lbs. That's a rough estimate, so give or take a few pounds. That is our lifter, that pic was taken after we unboxed the rod and we put the lifter on it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ahhh so awesome. What happens if one of these motors decides to run away? By run away, I mean start ingesting it's own lubrication for fuel. Have you seen one shoot a rod out the side?
    Rocky

e90 335i Sedan - A couple mods away from FBO
    MK3 Supra - 1jz swap, big single, supporting mods

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Notsafe335i Click here to enlarge
    Ahhh so awesome. What happens if one of these motors decides to run away? By run away, I mean start ingesting it's own lubrication for fuel. Have you seen one shoot a rod out the side?
    In that case the engine will usually overspeed and run until it either a) runs through the oil supply in the pan(~420 gallons) and seizes or b) have mechanical failure that prevents the engine from turning.

We see run aways occasionally and they almost always out of frame overhauls. We pull the engine out of the frame and strip them down to the bare block and replace everything.

I've seen everything from camshafts to connecting rods to crankshaft counter weights thrown out of the block. When something with this much mass let's go spinning 1050rpms the results are spectacular lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Awesome stuff. Saw a show like this on discovery/nat geo about train engines and couldn't stop watching. Hard to imagine the size of some of these parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Thanks man, hopefully this coming week i'll have a few more pics. I think we had a couple spectacular fly aparts come in over the weekend.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The size of these engines and parts is truely amazing.
    But with that much reliably generated power they probably have to be.
    I guess if one of these engines starts to do it's own thing the best thing to do is run in the opposite direction.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hello rader1,

Thank you for this thread. I am from Europe, and interested in North American Railroads and in Diesel engines. Your thread and photos give a very interesting insight.
    The attached photo (thanks to a friendly American) shows me on holiday, last year. The paint on the hood of the GE Dash8 locomotive is locally damaged / blistered. Is it true that this is caused by engine / turbocharger heat ? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Herman K Click here to enlarge
    Hello rader1,

Thank you for this thread. I am from Europe, and interested in North American Railroads and in Diesel engines. Your thread and photos give a very interesting insight.
    The attached photo (thanks to a friendly American) shows me on holiday, last year. The paint on the hood of the GE Dash8 locomotive is locally damaged / blistered. Is it true that this is caused by engine / turbocharger heat ?
    Anytime you see damage to the paint on the hood(we refer to it as car-body) it's almost always sign of fire damage. There is a lot of room between the turbo and the car-body so it actually stays pretty cool.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for your answer.
    As far as I know the HDL-engine was an adaption of the Deutz-MWM 632 series. I once found this. The cylinder heads look like the GEVO-engine. The 7FDL-engine will have English measurements (inches, etc), while the GEVO will be metric. So you will need different sets of tools (keys) to work on either type of engine ?
    [ATTACH]Click here to enlarge[/ATTACH]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yeah, the HDLs are a slightly redesigned Deutz engine. They still use metric fatseners so we have two different sets of tools for the engines. Standard tools for the FDLs and metric for the HDLs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey guys, been a long time since I had anything worth sharing. However, today we had something AWESOME arrive at the shop.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

It is a Rottler F109 CNC machining center. Once it is assembled it will look like this:
    Click here to enlarge

Once we get this up and running were going to be able to do some really cool stuff. I'll get a couple pics when we get a block on it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

So are you offering to CNC some parts for the N54 yet rader? Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

That's awesome - you have a cool job

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    So are you offering to CNC some parts for the N54 yet rader? Click here to enlarge
    The bed is big enough to where I should be able to line bore 7 or 8 N54s at a time should the need ever arise lol
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast