Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was able to get a couple scale pics. The pink disc is a urinal cake(I know, I know but everyone knows how big a urinal cake is and for some unknown reason we have 2 pallets of these things just laying around)
    This pic is of a master rod that was prepped for some machining work.
    Click here to enlarge

And here's one next a piston with the crown removed
    Click here to enlarge

Here's a couple follow up shots of the engine with blown turbo that over sped.
    Here's a pic in the middle of the disassembly process. At this point the exhaust manifold, intercoolers, intake manifold, turbo and 4 power assemblies were removed.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's what I found that was left of the turbo. Its part of the center shaft and nose cone. Also, some assorted shrapnel.
    Click here to enlarge
    Finally after working on this damn thing for a week it's about ready to go outside to run and test for further damage. A coworker is finishing up some low pressure fuel lines and provides some scale.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Here's a couple follow up shots of the engine with blown turbo that over sped.
    I would assume you guys monitor impeller speed closely?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I would assume you guys monitor impeller speed closely?
    Yes and no. All the pics I've shared are of the older style GE 7FdL16-9(or just dash 9 for short) and they do not feature turbo speed sensors. We pretty much have to rely on meeting requested load, map pressure and turbo vacuum contribution to be sure the turbo is healthy.

The newer 7HDL-12 evolution series engines do feature turbo speed sensors and we monitor them VERY closely due to the problems the turbochargers are having. Evos were released in 2007 and a couple years later the turbos began failing in BIG numbers. It was later determined the problem was a casting defect in the compressor wheel and at speed they would come apart. It was a very scary problem for the conductors and engines that had to be on the locomotives while they were running. GE couldn't supply turbos soon enough to meet our demand so we developed a "containment mod" program. We enclosed the turbos in 2 1/2" thick steel plates to catch the debris should they come apart. I really wish I had a pic of this because of how ridiculous it was.

Here's a pic of an EVO we have in the shop. They feature a two piece power assembly design and are similar but different. You can see the cam sections just below the cylinder liners.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the actual cylinder heads sitting on the grating
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Very impressive, thanks for sharing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing... Amazing to be able to see a pic of a turbo that looks bigger than my entire engine!

Must be great playing with that stuff on such a large scale Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Yes and no. All the pics I've shared are of the older style GE 7FdL16-9(or just dash 9 for short) and they do not feature turbo speed sensors. We pretty much have to rely on meeting requested load, map pressure and turbo vacuum contribution to be sure the turbo is healthy.

The newer 7HDL-12 evolution series engines do feature turbo speed sensors and we monitor them VERY closely due to the problems the turbochargers are having. Evos were released in 2007 and a couple years later the turbos began failing in BIG numbers. It was later determined the problem was a casting defect in the compressor wheel and at speed they would come apart. It was a very scary problem for the conductors and engines that had to be on the locomotives while they were running. GE couldn't supply turbos soon enough to meet our demand so we developed a "containment mod" program. We enclosed the turbos in 2 1/2" thick steel plates to catch the debris should they come apart. I really wish I had a pic of this because of how ridiculous it was.

Here's a pic of an EVO we have in the shop. They feature a two piece power assembly design and are similar but different. You can see the cam sections just below the cylinder liners.
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3_204159-1.jpg
    Here's the actual cylinder heads sitting on the grating
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...3_204110-1.jpg
    I would love to see that containment mod.. haha. Rail turbos are prob our smallest market. We mostly do power plant turbos. Where they run big engines pushing a big gen set running on landfill or digester gas and sell electricity back to the grid. The Turbos have shorter operating life because they are essentially running $#@! or garbage through them. Literally. The turbines get covered with "Siloxane" or $#@! dust and when a big piece flakes off it knocks them out of balance and they destroy themselves. So most of the plants run vibration monitors to help combat the problem instead of hours run to determine overhauls, they go by vibration readings it has cut back on their level 3 failures which means replacing turbine wheels, etc. The price between a level 1 overhaul and a level 3 is usually 50 grand or more so they like to keep those to minimum. Radar who does the turbo work for your company? Do you guys do them in house or outsource, or just use oem units? If you can get me some of it, you get free turbos and upgrades for life. Seriously. Let me know if you have someone I could talk to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

We usedto rebuild our turbos, however that was farmed out a few years ago. I don't know who rebuilds them now, if I had to guess it is probably GE. I will talk to the shop foreman Tuesday(I have off sunday-monday) and get as much info as I can and shoot it to you.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Dude that's damn well awesome...
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

anymore updates??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    anymore updates??
    Anything in particular you would like a pic of?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Anything in particular you would like a pic of?

anything in pieces. Absolute destruction is always cool Click here to enlarge

It sucks cuse I did a few interviews for Long Island Railroad back in 2007...then I guess I never made it past the final interview, cuse they announced a hiring freeze after that. Starting out as a diesel mechanic at $24 an hour would have been great...2 of my friends got in doing something else for LIRR and made $85k in the first year. Still looking for a job like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

anything in pieces. Absolute destruction is always cool Click here to enlarge

It sucks cuse I did a few interviews for Long Island Railroad back in 2007...then I guess I never made it past the final interview, cuse they announced a hiring freeze after that. Starting out as a diesel mechanic at $24 an hour would have been great...2 of my friends got in doing something else for LIRR and made $85k in the first year. Still looking for a job like that.
    We had one come in a week ago where the crank had a casting defect and it slung the counter weight off lol I'll see if we still have the counterweight. I'll be sure to keep this in mind and post pics whenever something interesting comes in
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Here's one of the new style "EVOs." Condrod broke and hit the block and knocked out a camshaft. There should be a can in the center hole haha
    Click here to enlarge
    There's the shrapnel in the oil pan
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

LOL all that inertia...nothing is gonna stop it. That is nuts...just took everything out with it. Im assuming every rod got wiped out in the process...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Nah, those things are TOUGH. Normally when a rod breaks it breaks the rod sharing the same position on the opposite side of the engine(left and right 5 in those pics above) but that's normally it. Depending on if the cam stays in place it may bend some valves. Since that one had a cam knocked out it bent valves on several cylinders. The block was so $#@!ed that we had to order a new block from GE.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Nah, those things are TOUGH. Normally when a rod breaks it breaks the rod sharing the same position on the opposite side of the engine(left and right 5 in those pics above) but that's normally it. Depending on if the cam stays in place it may bend some valves. Since that one had a cam knocked out it bent valves on several cylinders. The block was so $#@!ed that we had to order a new block from GE.

O.o what does a new block cost from GE...

I was watching some videos on youtube of guys doing onsite repairs of traction motors and what not. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

A new block from GE with main studs and main caps is ~$60K. A fully assembled ready to install and run engine is $400K-$600K depending on emmisions tier rating. Assuming we can re-use the block we can overhaul an engine to meet the latest tier package for $300K(parts and labor) so we definitely are saving some money.

We don't work on or rebuild traction motors at our shop, but they are some crazy contraptions.
    The newest locomotives uses AC traction motors(older styles use DC) and are somewhat dangerous. They use internal capacitors that GE claims are in-practical to test so they have to have 8 hours to dissipate before they can be disconnected, from what I was told the guys that service those things "draw straws" to see who has to unhook them lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

A new block from GE with main studs and main caps is ~$60K. A fully assembled ready to install and run engine is $400K-$600K depending on emmisions tier rating. Assuming we can re-use the block we can overhaul an engine to meet the latest tier package for $300K(parts and labor) so we definitely are saving some money.
    This sounds like fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

They use internal capacitors that GE claims are in-practical to test so they have to have 8 hours to dissipate before they can be disconnected, from what I was told the guys that service those things "draw straws" to see who has to unhook them lol

Lol I would hate to do that.

Its kinda like underground splicing. I have a friend who works for Con-Ed and he usually has to go down there and connect the big cables. Unfortunatley its quite easy to cross a wire and accidentley touch a neutral and get a big explosion in your face. Same goes for disconnecting or cut wires, its sometimes done live, and pulling it apart sometimes results in a big bright arc or a huge flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Lol I would hate to do that.
    Its kinda like underground splicing. I have a friend who works for Con-Ed and he usually has to go down there and connect the big cables. Unfortunatley its quite easy to cross a wire and accidentley touch a neutral and get a big explosion in your face. Same goes for disconnecting or cut wires, its sometimes done live, and pulling it apart sometimes results in a big bright arc or a huge flash.

Electricity scares the hell out of me lol Full load the alternator puts out 1,200volts and 2,400 amps and I don't touch ANYTHING "hot."
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Is that the one that flung the counterweight off?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

No we finished up the one that tossed the counter weight about a week ago. I thought we still had the counterweight but GE took it as part of a "warranty claim."

I don't know what caused that failure, all I know is that it broke the rods and we had to use a cutting torch to remove the power assemblies. The counterweight took a helluva hit and you can see where its banged up in the 3rd pic. When rods break that's normally how they look.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Here's a pic of the crank that tossed the counterweight
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

It just so happened that we had another engine come in tonight that tossed a counter weight.

Click here to enlarge
    The intake manifold exploded and that caught the low pressure fuel lines on fire, it's not a pretty sight. I don't know if the air box explosion caused the engine over speed or the other way around.

Counterweight
    Click here to enlarge

Counterweight and camshaft
    Click here to enlarge

Counterweight on a work bench
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast