Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

M3 Wishbone and Control arms upgrade for E9x and E8x

For better handling of a non-M 1 and 3 series the M control arms and whishbones add some negative camber to the front end of the car, sharpening the steering responce and further eliminating understeer.
    To implement this upgrade you need:

M3 front upper control arms (thrust arm, tension strut) (31102283575 and 31102283576)
    The upper control arms eliminate the fluid-filled stock bushing which is very prone to leaking the fluid and cease being effective. The solid rubber M3 bushing is also a bit stiffer for more precise steering and control.
    M3 front lower control arms (wishbone) (31102283577 and 31102283578)
    The M3 lower control arm has a sealed inner bearing instead of the rubber-isolated stock bushing. The bearing allows the lower arm to rotate freely instead of binding up. It's also a bit longer and curved slightly to give more negative camber (adds .75 of negative camber).
    M3 headlight adjusting rod (37142283867)
    Replaces the stock rod on cars with adaptive headlights.

An alignment is required immediately after the installation.

The parts:

Click here to enlarge

The old control arm weighs 962 grams

Click here to enlarge

The M3 arm is actually 10 grams heavier

Click here to enlarge

I had an old control arm lying around because of a mishap that happened on a roadcourse.
    This is no longer gonna happen for the M3 part is much stronger where it matters.
    It will give you a huge toe-in, I can tell you Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The M3 whishbone weighs 1529 grams.

Click here to enlarge

I can tell you what the original whishbone weighs on friday, for then these parts will go on the car.
    I will keep you updated on how I like this upgrade.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Awesome stuff David. I really want to know how it works out for you. I was looking at doing this along with a KW kit for my car over the winter. Do you have any plans for the rear suspension too?

I'd rep ya, but I guess I have to spread the wealth around first.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    Do you have any plans for the rear suspension too?
    Not for the near future.
    On circuits with the original setup I normally fight understeer in low speed corners.
    This upgrade should correct this, beefing up the front at the same time and improiving steering responce.
    The rear for now has always stayed in check.
    Maybe that will change after this upgrade. The weakest part always shows up first Click here to enlarge
    I was planning on maybe upgrade my shocks to Koni yellows this winter, but not sure what springs to use with that.
    KW coilovers look mighty interesting too, I must admit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Whenever I go to the track, going into the corners I feel a bit of understeer also. I was reading on one of the threads from e90post that the M3 peices get rid of it, so I was looking into it also.

I was looking into the KW variant 3 or the Clubsport. But it all depends if I keep my car or upgrade
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

This should really help guys out.

I want to get this forum section cracking.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Whenever I go to the track, going into the corners I feel a bit of understeer also. I was reading on one of the threads from e90post that the M3 peices get rid of it, so I was looking into it also.

I was looking into the KW variant 3 or the Clubsport. But it all depends if I keep my car or upgrade
    These parts will definitely improve front end responsiveness and turn-in, and get rid of understeer a good bit! You'll get around 0,75 of camber with these parts only. But on a racetrack you'll need more camber. I have Dinan cmaber plates which add another degree of negative camber but I feel I could use around -3. To achieve that, adjustable camber plates are needed.

Apart from the camber, the M3 suspension parts also get rid of the soft standard bushings. This can especially be felt on the rear end (where there are more suspension arms and bushings).

Between the V3 and the CS you can't go wrong either way. Depends on how often you track your car.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I can tell you now if you don't plan on keeping your car stop otherwise you will end up switching out everything. As you modify one part you realize how weak another part is. You change the wishbones in the front then you will want to change the rear then you will find out the bushings are weak so you switch them out and it goes on. I started off just like you and now i have a completely different suspension from stock. The good part is your car will be a lot more fun to drive.

ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TRES Click here to enlarge
    I can tell you now if you don't plan on keeping your car stop otherwise you will end up switching out everything.
    O I plan too keep this car for a long time.
    I would lose a lot of money trading this in, so I might as well enjoy it for as long as I can.

But you are right.

After having this done the rear now feels like it has slightly more movement then before. This is due to the front now being more planted.
    For road use the understeer is gone, even in shorter fast corners.

This was done last friday. And the car definately needed a alignment, it had a 12 degree toe in on both sides.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

There was also some play in the torsion bar endlinks, so I ended up ordering a new set of those, and some M3 brackets and torsion bar rubbers...
    At least after that the front end is finished, for now.

Because of (I think) the changed caster the right front fender got some rubbing issues. I had to get it rerolled. Fortunately that could be done on short notice, so that was taken care off saturday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have a pair of m3 upper wishbone links for sale with the abs bracket (250) shipped. For when you start on the rear

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    O I plan too keep this car for a long time.
    I would lose a lot of money trading this in, so I might as well enjoy it for as long as I can.

But you are right.

After having this done the rear now feels like it has slightly more movement then before. This is due to the front now being more planted.
    For road use the understeer is gone, even in shorter fast corners.

This was done last friday. And the car definately needed a alignment, it had a 12 degree toe in on both sides.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

There was also some play in the torsion bar endlinks, so I ended up ordering a new set of those, and some M3 brackets and torsion bar rubbers...
    At least after that the front end is finished, for now.

Because of (I think) the changed caster the right front fender got some rubbing issues. I had to get it rerolled. Fortunately that could be done on short notice, so that was taken care off saturday.
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I just did this upgrade last week along with the m3 subframe bushings, and sway bars. Feels great, love the tighter steering feel despite the added road noise. Feels like the balance is restored again after switching to non-rft's. Coilovers will only make it better
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    nice make sure you get the megan racing adj toe arms. I needed the camber arms also to get my rear alignment back to spec. I have ground control coilovers and theyre great. I ran them with ps2 rft and they were comfortable, I now run pss. When choosing coils its where the slippery slope begins. I've heard bad reveiws for bilstein pss from quite a few people, issues with tc kline, vorshlag camber plates etc. So good luck with the coilover hunt.