Close

Thread: Lewis Hamilton set to replace Schumacher for Mercedes Formula 1 in 2013 in $100 million deal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Lewis Hamilton set to replace Schumacher for Mercedes Formula 1 in 2013 in $100 million deal

Michael Schumacher's time at the helm of a Mercedes Formula 1 car will come to a close this year. Mercedes confirmed that they signed Lewis Hamilton to a three year deal with the contract totaling about $100 million dollars. Hamilton will end his association with McLaren which lasted 14 years. The reality of the move is that the much younger Lewis Hamilton (27) simply has the brighter future in Formula 1 racing and Schumacher is the past.

Schumacher received the news with class stating he would race out the rest of the season to his best ability and wishes Hamilton well. Mecedes seems serious about contention next year as the current season is pretty much a lost cause. What Schumacher will do from here on out is anyone's guess but retirement from Formula 1 for good this time sure seems like where he is headed.

Click here to enlarge

Michael Schumacher

“I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side. I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I would like to thank the team for their trust and all the guys for their unconditional commitment. I will now concentrate on the next races.”

Lewis Hamilton

“It is now time for me to take on a fresh challenge and I am very excited to begin a new chapter racing for the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team. Mercedes-Benz has such an incredible heritage in motorsport, along with a passion for winning which I share. Together, we can grow and rise to this new challenge. I believe that I can help steer the Silver Arrows to the top and achieve our joint ambitions of winning the world championships.”

Ross Brawn, Team Principal – MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS

“On behalf of MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, I would first of all like to thank Michael Schumacher for the important contribution he has made to the growth of our team over the past three seasons. His energy and commitment have never wavered, even when results have not matched our own expectations, and we are determined to finish the 2012 season together on a high. As always, it has been a pleasure to work with Michael. Looking ahead to 2013, I am delighted to welcome Lewis Hamilton to our team. The arrival of a driver of Lewis’ calibre is a testament to the standing of Mercedes-Benz in Formula One and I am proud that Lewis shares our vision and ambition for the success of the Silver Arrows. I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year, and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together.

Over the past three years, we have been putting in place the foundations and building blocks that are needed to compete regularly for the world championship. Behind the scenes, we have assembled a team that is technically stronger, more experienced and better resourced, thanks to the support of PETRONAS and all of our loyal team partners. The potential is now there to match any other team on the grid, which is the minimum standard for a Mercedes-Benz works team. Our task is now to translate that potential into on-track performance for next season and beyond.”

Norbert Haug, Vice President – Mercedes-Benz Motorsport

“Mercedes-Benz has supported Lewis throughout his career, from karting, to Formula 3, to our successful partnership with McLaren, and it will be a very nice moment for all of us in the team to see him at the wheel of a works Silver Arrow next season, following in the tradition of British Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix drivers Sir Stirling Moss and Richard Seaman.

Of course, it takes a great driver to replace such a legendary and successful one as Michael Schumacher. Over the past three years, Michael has been a great driver and an exemplary ambassador for MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS. His experience has been an important factor in guiding the development of our team in Brackley and we extend our sincere thanks to Michael for his loyalty, team play and commitment. We will be working very hard together in order to achieve the best possible results in the remainder of the 2012 season.

The central task of any racing team is to deliver a car that allows the drivers to fully express their talents. In the 52 races for our works team, we have achieved a number of important milestones, including an historic victory for Nico Rosberg in China this year. We know that it is now time to take the next step, in order to deliver consistent front-running performances in the tradition of the Silver Arrows. Every single person in our team is working with total commitment and focus on achieving this ambition.”

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Could have probably seen this coming, Schumacher has had the worst luck this season

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Schumacher was going to step away likely regardless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Schumacher was going to step away likely regardless.
    True he's getting fairly old, but he can still drive that's for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    True he's getting fairly old, but he can still drive that's for sure.
    Can he drive better than Hamilton?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Could have probably seen this coming, Schumacher has had the worst luck this season
    I agree, but Hamilton has had back luck for the past 2 (maybe 3?) seasons... I truly believe he is the best driver right now in F1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Can he drive better than Hamilton?
    who knows. They drive different cars, they'd have to be driving exact cars to determine who is actually a better driver. You can't overlook Schumacher's 7 world champions...Hamilton only has one. Hamilton probably drives better than Schumacher now, idk about back then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I agree, but Hamilton has had back luck for the past 2 (maybe 3?) seasons... I truly believe he is the best driver right now in F1.
    No doubt he is definitely one of the best drivers right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Hamilton probably drives better than Schumacher now, idk about back then.
    Exactly, all about the future with this move.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Exactly, all about the future with this move.
    Most definitely. I'd like to see what Hamilton can do with Mercedes, also Perez at McLaren is very interesting as well. Perez has been showing a lot of promise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Schumacher should get a medal, and Mercedes managers should go to jail for this. Let me tell you how things started. Schumacher came back to F1 because he felt he owed Mercedes this, a chance to start as It was them that gave Schumacher a chance to be the big shot in F1 two decades ago so even though Schumacher knew Mercedes team isn't completed and it certainly can hurt his reputations, he signed with Mercedes. As things turned out, he was right about the team. Mercedes spend half of what others invest in F1. Redbull or Ferrari has much more engineers working on different parts of cars. As the result, the cars are slower and much less reliable than others.

Even with such cars, he stayed in the team and tried to help them. Because of that, his abilities and even his champion title even got questioned but he stayed. Now Mercedes wants to replace him with Hamilton? They should open their eyes. The only thing that is holding them back is the cars. The drivers are fine. Roseberg hasn't claimed a title yet in F1 because before Mercedes, He was driving for Williams which is another team with slow cars. He won GP2 just like Lewis Hamilton.

IMHO, at this situation nothing can help the team but a bigger budget. And that seems unlikely as it seems Mercedes GP is pulling out of F1 in 2015.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

So I guess Schumacher is getting shafted again. This year he's should how strong he can drive and in most races he's been ahead of Rosberg. He's been plagued by a very unreliable car. The only time Rosberg did anything was in China and Schumacher was right on his tail until his car let him down. The best thing for him now is to quietly walk away from the sport. He's already proven to be a legend in F1 and no one can question that.

This might be a good move for Hamilton. He knows Mclaren won't be able to offer the things Mercedes can and he'll enjoy more freedom with them. Also with Mclaren having to pay Mercedes for engines next year, that mean less money spend for the team to spend on the car and it's development. The big question now is, will he be able to win races with them. I highly doubt he will see a championship with Mercedes anytime soon. My question is will he become the next Villeneuve?