Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    San Diego tuner HG Motorsports displaying tuned M159 SLS AMG strength at the airstrip - Runs vs. ESS-VT2 600 M3, ZR1, and Ford GT

    The SLS AMG in the video below belongs to a tuner out of San Diego California by the name of HG Motorsports. This is really the first BenzBoost has seen of an M156 or M159 tuned by them in action. The car features their ECU tune, long tube headers, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, and HRE P43S wheels. Power figures are not stated and no dyno results were posted showing the gains of the parts but the video clearly shows the car taking on stout competition and doing well.

    Click here to enlarge

    The first race is versus an ESS-VT2 600 supercharged E92 M3. Surprisingly, the SLS is able to pull slightly on the supercharged car (unknown if it is a manual or dual clutch trans car). The second race is versus a ZR1 Corvette which appeared to have some traction issues but once it hooked appeared to make up some ground.

    Another impressive run is versus the Ford GT with an upgraded blower. The SLS loses but considering it is naturally aspirated it is impressive how well it hangs with the more powerful GT. This SLS certainly appears to be a well tuned vehicle.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    It's San Diego, Sticky! I got to ride in that SLS a month or two ago, it sounds incredible and HG's work is top notch. I know the guys who run the shop so I've had the pleasure of being destroyed by many of their cars.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    It's San Diego, Sticky! I got to ride in that SLS a month or two ago, it sounds incredible and HG's work is top notch. I know the guys who run the shop so I've had the pleasure of being destroyed by many of their cars.
    You see a typo? Because I don't... Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    That SLS is sick. Why the hell does Mercedes not put DCTs in their cheaper AMG's? Makes no sense. You can get a Golf GTI with a DSG, BMW's, Audis, etc.., Is it because those AMG engines have a lot of torque? I understand not using DCT's for non AMG models, but all AMG's should come with DCT's IMO, just like the SLS.
    John 3:16


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    why in the $#@!ing world would they have that horrible music over this video!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    That SLS is sick. Why the hell does Mercedes not put DCTs in their cheaper AMG's? Makes no sense. You can get a Golf GTI with a DSG, BMW's, Audis, etc.., Is it because those AMG engines have a lot of torque? I understand not using DCT's for non AMG models, but all AMG's should come with DCT's IMO, just like the SLS.
    Because Mercedes wants to keep costs down. They only implemented it with the SLS first but it's going to trickle down to all the models soon enough. The CLA is coming with it for example. The E-Class facelift will likely get it. Lot's of cars...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    That SLS is sick. Why the hell does Mercedes not put DCTs in their cheaper AMG's? Makes no sense. You can get a Golf GTI with a DSG, BMW's, Audis, etc.., Is it because those AMG engines have a lot of torque? I understand not using DCT's for non AMG models, but all AMG's should come with DCT's IMO, just like the SLS.
    A DCT isn't necessarily better than an automatic, it trades quicker, more crisp shifts and the ability to have launch control for some smoothness. Mercedes probably thinks its customers prefer an automatic and I'm inclined to agree with them considering the way their cars generally feel to drive. I have a DCT-equipped 335is and I love it but in a Benz I actually prefer a real automatic. A couple years ago AMG started introducing their 7 speed automatic with a wet clutch which is getting close to DCT levels of shift speed while maintaining some of the things that make an automatic superior for a big, comfy Benz. I've driven the original C63 and the 2012 which has the new transmission and it makes a huge difference.

    AMGs are all about cruising in comfort and having the option to put your foot through the floor, kick down to a low gear and annihilate that annoying Civic that just pulled up next to you. This is another criticism I have of dual clutch transmissions (particularly BMW's DCT): they cannot kick down at full throttle. With an actual automatic, the engine can go wide open throttle while the gear change is happening so by the time it engages the gear, you're at full power (handy in a turbocharged car). My DCT cannot handle the sudden torque, so it has to de-clutch, blip the throttle, select the proper gear, engage the clutch, open the throttle and then finally begin building boost and this takes a significant amount of time. If you drive an automatic 335i and a DCT 335is back-to-back you'll see exactly what I mean, the auto box can kick right into a low gear at full boost and take off in a jiffy but the DCT seems to take forever. When I first got my 335is I almost got rear ended a couple of times before I realized I can't just point and squirt into gaps in traffic like I used to (my previous cars have all been manual).

    Lastly, I'm sure cost-savings has a lot to do with it, but the fact that AMG took the time to develop their MCT transmission (an evolution of the 7G Tronic) tells me they genuinely like it and don't see a dual clutch as a 100% better solution.
    Last edited by Remonster; 12-01-2012 at 04:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    358
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    MCT rocks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Lastly, I'm sure cost-savings has a lot to do with it, but the fact that AMG took the time to develop their MCT transmission (an evolution of the 7G Tronic) tells me they genuinely like it and don't see a dual clutch as a 100% better solution.
    It's this area where they struggle to offer a real alternative as a drivers car to BMW.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    That's pretty impressive for just a tune and headers. Keeping up with a Whippled FGT is no easy task.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    That's pretty impressive for just a tune and headers. Keeping up with a Whippled FGT is no easy task.
    Definitely that is why I would like to see what this thing actually puts down to the tire.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 63Master Click here to enlarge
    MCT rocks
    Are you suggesting the SLS uses the MCT transmission ??? LOL - is uses the DCT.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    A DCT isn't necessarily better than an automatic, it trades quicker, more crisp shifts and the ability to have launch control for some smoothness. Mercedes probably thinks its customers prefer an automatic and I'm inclined to agree with them considering the way their cars generally feel to drive. I have a DCT-equipped 335is and I love it but in a Benz I actually prefer a real automatic. A couple years ago AMG started introducing their 7 speed automatic with a wet clutch which is getting close to DCT levels of shift speed while maintaining some of the things that make an automatic superior for a big, comfy Benz. I've driven the original C63 and the 2012 which has the new transmission and it makes a huge difference.

    AMGs are all about cruising in comfort and having the option to put your foot through the floor, kick down to a low gear and annihilate that annoying Civic that just pulled up next to you. This is another criticism I have of dual clutch transmissions (particularly BMW's DCT): they cannot kick down at full throttle. With an actual automatic, the engine can go wide open throttle while the gear change is happening so by the time it engages the gear, you're at full power (handy in a turbocharged car). My DCT cannot handle the sudden torque, so it has to de-clutch, blip the throttle, select the proper gear, engage the clutch, open the throttle and then finally begin building boost and this takes a significant amount of time. If you drive an automatic 335i and a DCT 335is back-to-back you'll see exactly what I mean, the auto box can kick right into a low gear at full boost and take off in a jiffy but the DCT seems to take forever. When I first got my 335is I almost got rear ended a couple of times before I realized I can't just point and squirt into gaps in traffic like I used to (my previous cars have all been manual).

    Lastly, I'm sure cost-savings has a lot to do with it, but the fact that AMG took the time to develop their MCT transmission (an evolution of the 7G Tronic) tells me they genuinely like it and don't see a dual clutch as a 100% better solution.
    Interesting explanation. I guess in that light, they should offer the DCT as an option then, for those who might prefer something with a more manual feel, sice they don't even give you the option of a true manual. Not gonna lie though, I sometimes miss the automatic transmission in my automatic, it was super smooth and loved the kick down feature.
    John 3:16


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's this area where they struggle to offer a real alternative as a drivers car to BMW.
    True enough, I've loved Benzes all my life but there's a reason I've only owned one (1991 300E 2.6) and have had four BMWs in a row.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    358
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Are you suggesting the SLS uses the MCT transmission ??? LOL - is uses the DCT.
    Nope. Are you suggesting that?

    I just like the newly developed MCT speedshift that is applied on all M157 applications. It can handle monster power and torque!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 63Master Click here to enlarge
    Nope. Are you suggesting that?

    I just like the newly developed MCT speedshift that is applied on all M157 applications. It can handle monster power and torque!

    Why do you ask if I'm suggesting that ?? Clearly I am not. The vehicle being discussed in this thread is an SLS - which has the DCT. So why would you even mention the MCT, and say that "it rocks" ??? How does the MCT in an M157 have ANY relevance here ??? This is an M159. Are you retarded ?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    358
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Read the last part of post #7 by remonster and get a life while you are at it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    HG Motorsports did an incredible performance work on this SLS M159 & would highly recommend them.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Why do you ask if I'm suggesting that ?? Clearly I am not. The vehicle being discussed in this thread is an SLS - which has the DCT. So why would you even mention the MCT, and say that "it rocks" ??? How does the MCT in an M157 have ANY relevance here ??? This is an M159. Are you retarded ?
    He mentioned it because the post above him was discussing the MCT so he was essentially saying it rocks in response to that.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    HG Motorsports did an incredible performance work on this SLS M159 & would highly recommend them.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceRjaMym_8
    Are they using Renntech tuning?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Yes, they are Global RENNtech dealers partners.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are they using Renntech tuning?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, they are Global RENNtech dealers partners.
    They made it seem like it was their own tuning. They don't mention Renntech in the mods or videos so glad to know this now.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    105
    Rep Points
    173.2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Does Dyno Dynamic read low numbers ?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alrasheed1991 Click here to enlarge
    Does Dyno Dynamic read low numbers ?
    By default yes but it can be manipulated in a ton of ways with the software.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    105
    Rep Points
    173.2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I thought so because i saw MHP SLS making near 550 rwhp / 490 rwtq tune , full exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •