Close

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No

    M157/M278 turbo elbow (between turbo turbine outlet & catalytic down pipes) review test

    Just note from our dyno/real world experience, an increased OD M157/M278 twin turbo elbow will not make any torque/power gain difference for either OEM version (S/CL & CLS/E/SL) over the MB/AMG design. Our R&D we have not seen any benefit & just added cost of install time with no real improvement added.

    The factory turbocharger turbine has plenty of room for exhaust gas flow on stock turbo elbow's even if you run past the compressor surging/choke lines. A turbo upgrade with mismatch compressor wheel to a factory size turbine wheel, also creates other turbo reliability issues. You can have all the Lb/min figure from an upgraded compressor wheel; and if you still use the stock compressor housing and a stock turbine wheel (maybe clipping helps a bit)... it will not flow any claimed Lb/min unless some help of some oxygenated fuel or gas for supporting mods. In real world, you drive on pump gas.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    So observed improvements from exhaust mods are due to elimination of the catalyst only?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    So observed improvements from exhaust mods are due to elimination of the catalyst only?
    Yes, an improved high flow kat, or elimination of kat for race applications only will have more benefit than changing the turbo elbow OD. Also, a turbo true turbo upgraded CHRA & housing A/R change have more effect than just making everything bigger.
    Last edited by LW@MTG; 03-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hawaii/Texas (business)
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    134.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Great information: thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dueclaws Click here to enlarge
    Great information: thanks!
    Here's recent street RENNtech 2012 CL63 (W216) Performance Package using Shell 93octane with upgraded Turbocharger & other drivetrain components using stock turbo elbow.

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,350
    Rep Points
    2,779.7
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    Interesting. I figured AMG knew what they where doing and left no stone unturned?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hawaii/Texas (business)
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    134.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, an improved high flow kat, or elimination of kat for race applications only will have more benefit than changing the turbo elbow OD. Also, a turbo true turbo upgraded CHRA & housing A/R change have more effect than just making everything bigger.
    What's the RT peak HP/torque for a M278 with your intercooler kit, tune, and high flow kat?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,424
    Rep Points
    32,105.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Just note from our dyno/real world experience, an increased OD M157/M278 twin turbo elbow will not make any torque/power gain difference for either OEM version (S/CL & CLS/E/SL) over the MB/AMG design. Our R&D we have not seen any benefit & just added cost of install time with no real improvement added.

    The factory turbocharger turbine has plenty of room for exhaust gas flow on stock turbo elbow's even if you run past the compressor surging/choke lines. A turbo upgrade with mismatch compressor wheel to a factory size turbine wheel, also creates other turbo reliability issues. You can have all the Lb/min figure from an upgraded compressor wheel; and if you still use the stock compressor housing and a stock turbine wheel (maybe clipping helps a bit)... it will not flow any claimed Lb/min unless some help of some oxygenated fuel or gas for supporting mods. In real world, you drive on pump gas.
    Just curious has anybody been making some big claims about this elbow?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,424
    Rep Points
    32,105.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Here's recent street RENNtech 2012 CL63 (W216) Performance Package using Shell 93octane with upgraded Turbocharger & other drivetrain components using stock turbo elbow.

    Click here to enlarge
    Ohhhhhh that is nice!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dueclaws Click here to enlarge
    What's the RT peak HP/torque for a M278 with your intercooler kit, tune, and high flow kat?
    Regulated at the wheels for aprox. 450's whp / 530's ftlb on a Dynojet. But, engine will be much more capable than just 450's whp at the wheels ~490-~550hp area. By that time, it's better to get a AMG63 biturbo & upgrade.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hawaii/Texas (business)
    Posts
    137
    Rep Points
    134.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Regulated at the wheels for aprox. 450's whp / 530's ftlb on a Dynojet. But, engine will be much more capable than just 450's whp at the wheels ~490-~550hp area. By that time, it's better to get a AMG63 biturbo & upgrade.
    Thanks!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dueclaws Click here to enlarge
    Thanks!!
    Here's a recent M278 sample... for delta gain comparo.

    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by LW@MTG; 03-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,424
    Rep Points
    32,105.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Here's a recent M278 sample... for delta gain comparo.

    Click here to enlarge
    One of the M278 graphs you sent me though was even higher than this though?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    672.5
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ohhhhhh that is nice!
    This is nicer for CLS63 non-performance on standard AKI91-93 pump gas & stock turbo elbow =)

    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,424
    Rep Points
    32,105.2
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    This is nicer for CLS63 non-performance on standard AKI91-93 pump gas & stock turbo elbow =)

    Click here to enlarge
    That got its own article Click here to enlarge http://benzboost.com/content.php?346...G-on-93-octane

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •