Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    So I guess today would be its 1st real test then?
    From what I know, his rebuilt tranny was already slipping before the event.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by badass335 Click here to enlarge
    From what I know, his rebuilt tranny was already slipping before the event.
    Wonder if the AT's are getting to the maxed out point with the big turbos?
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    6MT conversions ftw
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    6MT conversions ftw
    I'll keep that in mind when I place my order for the F3x M3/M4 Click here to enlarge Just too many headaches/costs/setbacks/limitations with non-MT transmissions when you go big POWA
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any word how Sikh's 6AT / 517-rebuild went?
    While I was talking to Wedge he told me about it. Basically 517 built the tranny, they got about 5 good runs on it and smoked the clutch packs. The tranny is being pulled back out and sent back to 517. Sounds like they aren't really understanding the torque output these motors have. But yes his build he bragged about for weeks as being the solution lasted 5 pulls.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    While I was talking to Wedge he told me about it. Basically 517 built the tranny, they got about 5 good runs on it and smoked the clutch packs. The tranny is being pulled back out and sent back to 517. Sounds like they aren't really understanding the torque output these motors have. But yes his build he bragged about for weeks as being the solution lasted 5 pulls.
    do you know how much power did they increase it buy?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I hope everyone had a good time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    some members tried level10 upgrade with 600rwhp, also there's a post here they said the fully built transmission can handle up to 700rwhp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazylegs Click here to enlarge
    do you know how much power did they increase it buy?
    Combed through LM & enrita's Level10 trans builds, it seems like the highest rating for the TQ Converter was 700 Ft Lbs

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    some members tried level10 upgrade with 600rwhp, also there's a post here they said the fully built transmission can handle up to 700rwhp
    Every trans' rating is measured in WTQ, not HP. I guess the built AT count is officially up to 3 now with LM, enrita (who both went with Level10) & Sikh (who was 517's 1st customer). Be interesting to see who @Terry@BMS decides to send the 135's trans too since the engine's gonna have to be rebuilt now.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    6mt is the only way to go for big power, the at/dct is to complex and annoying to deal with IMO
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    6mt is the only way to go for big power, the at/dct is to complex and annoying to deal with IMO
    Seems like this is the truth on platforms where there's options (MT vs. AT/DCT). Look at a popular tuner car like the GTR, probably the only BIG HP car that had to immediately receive a proven trans upgrade to withstand what people wanted to do with them. I think the TT-G's really have illustrated the need for a trans builder who can rebuild highly reinforced transmissions to withstand 4x the OEM power, instead of just going through OEM-spec trans every 5-10k (made up numbers).

I'm personally most interested in seeing how Trans Builders handle building the trans for future cars like the next gen Gallardo, the McLaren MP4, next gen GTR (all three manufacturers have confirmed they will NOT offer a MT option) and even the upcoming M3/M4 (given that it'll have more tuner appeal).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Combed through LM & enrita's Level10 trans builds, it seems like the highest rating for the TQ Converter was 700 Ft Lbs

Every trans' rating is measured in WTQ, not HP. I guess the built AT count is officially up to 3 now with LM, enrita (who both went with Level10) & Sikh (who was 517's 1st customer). Be interesting to see who @Terry@BMS decides to send the 135's trans too since the engine's gonna have to be rebuilt now.
    Don't belive these numbers for a second, if these trannys could really hold 700WTQ they would not be slipping in 5 pulls. I can guarantee his car is not making 700 ft lbs of torque to the wheels. Its just one of those things, until a tranny builder steps up and has the right upgraded parts made for the trannys, clutch packs, valve bodies, billet input shafts, etc just like all the other built you trannys you can get on other platforms don't expect these things to last. I honestly really hope someone does it soon as I am buying a car and I would really like to get an AT. They are so much better for street turbo applications.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The thing is, oems will design a dct or auto trans for a certain application and hp/tq, when you increase that power by 2 times or more it will never hold up. The crispness of shifts and smoothness is all effected by clutch material, valve bodies, software, they won't design a tranny to be more beefed up than necessary. Anything over fbo and software in a dct/auto and your asking for trouble, on almost all platforms IMO.

We need someone that will do all the upgrades Tony just stated as well as software...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Don't belive these numbers for a second, if these trannys could really hold 700WTQ they would not be slipping in 5 pulls. I can guarantee his car is not making 700 ft lbs of torque to the wheels.
    Oh yea, 100% agree that there is some minor "over estimating" on the TQ rating of these converters. But even since the RB turbos came out, not a single trans builder has stepped up. Hopefully now with the STs & your VTT S3s, someone will build a quality product (and prob making a killing if it actually delivers)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh yea, 100% agree that there is some minor "over estimating" on the TQ rating of these converters. But even since the RB turbos came out, not a single trans builder has stepped up. Hopefully now with the STs & your VTT S3s, someone will build a quality product (and prob making a killing if it actually delivers)
    I actually contacted a couple tranny builders I know. No one wanted to touch it, I gave up. Too many other things on my plate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I actually contacted a couple tranny builders I know. No one wanted to touch it, I gave up. Too many other things on my plate.
    i don't know what's the problem with them, no one want to build a tranny or hpfp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 5.0 mustang use's a transmission based off the zf 6hp26. Exedy has aftermarket clutch packs for them and there's probably other company's as well. Obviously there's a lot more mustangs on the road and at the track, but seeing as its a very similar transmission as the 6hp21 I'm sure it can be done. It's just a matter of convincing company's there's a large enough market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    The 5.0 mustang use's a transmission based off the zf 6hp26. Exedy has aftermarket clutch packs for them and there's probably other company's as well. Obviously there's a lot more mustangs on the road and at the track, but seeing as its a very similar transmission as the 6hp21 I'm sure it can be done. It's just a matter of convincing company's there's a large enough market.
    Well that's encouraging, but just as much as we need significantly upgraded hardware, we're not gonna be able to ride the Alpina TCM software beyond the VTT-S2s, RBs or the STs.

You've already done more than anyone who've anticipated for this platform. At this rate, you might be supplying all the high HP hardware for anybody using an N54/N55 and letting them go with the tune of their choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well that's encouraging, but just as much as we need significantly upgraded hardware, we're not gonna be able to ride the Alpina TCM software beyond the VTT-S2s, RBs or the STs.

You've already done more than anyone who've anticipated for this platform. At this rate, you might be supplying all the high HP hardware for anybody using an N54/N55 and letting them go with the tune of their choice.
    Yeah, the 6hp26 is the same tranny used in the 335d I believe and comes rated from zf at ~440 ft/lbs of tourque which is a good deal more than the 6hp21. If no one steps up to build the At hopefully pro efi will allow us to do an AT swap. If not ill be trading my car in for an MT, which is unfortunate as I really do enjoy the way my car drives with an AT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, the 6hp26 is the same tranny used in the 335d I believe and comes rated from zf at ~440 ft/lbs of tourque which is a good deal more than the 6hp21. If no one steps up to build the At hopefully pro efi will allow us to do an AT swap. If not ill be trading my car in for an MT, which is unfortunate as I really do enjoy the way my car drives with an AT.
    Hey bmw335i guy I was wondering if I was the only 6at besides Terry that ordered VTT stage 3's but I guess not. What are your plans for your tune are you going run low boost on it till a legit tranny upgrade comes out? Or just say screw it and let it rip on the poor tranny? Lol
    E92 FBO Cobb stage 2+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Animal29 Click here to enlarge
    Hey bmw335i guy I was wondering if I was the only 6at besides Terry that ordered VTT stage 3's but I guess not. What are your plans for your tune are you going run low boost on it till a legit tranny upgrade comes out? Or just say screw it and let it rip on the poor tranny? Lol
    I'm still not sure yet. I would really like to build the tranny as the price I would pay to build it will be almost the same as tax on trading my car for an MT plus a clutch/flywheel. But if no legitimate AT upgrade surfaces before stage 3s start shipping then its looking more like ill be trading her in for an MT. The other problem is if I do trade for an MT I would rather get a 135 but we won't know if it will fit until terry gets his kit installed.

Before Terry's unfortunate motor issue he had at shift sector I was okay with running the stock at till it blew up but I don't want to pay for a built trans AND a built motor.

What are your plans?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To my knowledge the lack of software control / ability to access the mechatronic is holding back things. Very hard to break the encryption. Without access to the software no gearbox builder will be able to do a decent job. At least that is how my journey among builders ended...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, what caused the engine failure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 700 figure was for the upgraded trans, not stock, obviously. I can't say for sure about 517, but I did say they were the most shady of the places I contacted, and wanted 8k to do it.
    The only issue I ever had with the Level10 build, was that we couldn't control the tcu, I still try to find my car for sale somewhere so we can see if a kid with a jb4 has it and we can let him know..actually, I know he has a jb4 in it, because I left it in there Click here to enlarge suck about the motor T, but at least now you have a reason to go a bit further

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much WHP will the stock 6MT clutch hold? btw, good luck with the build Terry.
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast