Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

What kind of helmet for the drag strip

Hopefully the answer isn't contact the drag strip you go to, but how lenient are most drag strips for test and tunes or street class brackets. Looking to take my car and all I can find on the different drag strips web sites is a link to the NHRA rules that call for a snell approved helmet. I'm hoping for like the $30 walmart special.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    $30 walmart special? we are talking about your life here buy the proper equipment or don't do it at all. period...
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I'm in a street car not in a race car doing 180MPH. I would say the strip is safer than half the stuff done on the street. On a bike where it's your head vs the pavement that's understandable (even though half the people don't even use helmets then) but when you already in a pretty safe car how much extra safety is needed. How many people here would run without a helmet if it wasn't a requirement?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've run with cheap helmets before but my advice would be to spend some money on a real one that you can also use for autocross and track days.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    I've run with cheap helmets before but my advice would be to spend some money on a real one that you can also use for autocross and track days.
    Actually I didn't think that far ahead would eventually like to have time to try some tracking. Any recommendations on one that meets requirements, is comfortable, good visibility, breathes well and pricing isn't too bad?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

You want one that is SA2010 compliant. You may need to try on a few different ones before you find one that fits your head. Generally, you want a full face helmet for eye and face protection.

I was directed to this site:

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-helmets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I'm in a street car not in a race car doing 180MPH. I would say the strip is safer than half the stuff done on the street. On a bike where it's your head vs the pavement that's understandable (even though half the people don't even use helmets then) but when you already in a pretty safe car how much extra safety is needed. How many people here would run without a helmet if it wasn't a requirement?
    I'd pay the extra bucks and get a Snell SA2010 certified helmet.

The tracks I've been to don't check, but safer is always better?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I'd pay the extra bucks and get a Snell SA2010 certified helmet.

The tracks I've been to don't check, but safer is always better?
    Rep true that...
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

SA2010 for sure. it'll cover you for auto x, track days and drag strips. I just did my first auto x Sunday and they THOROUGHLY inspected my helmet. I've never worn one on a drag strip. Most drag strips down here don't require helmets unless you're running over 150mph traps i think or sub 10sec ET i don't remember.

http://www.saferacer.com/zamp-racing...-racing-helmet
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

an inexpensive SAFE helmet isn't all that expensive...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I know but a helmets like a condom its always safer to use but $#@! just don't feel right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I know but a helmets like a condom its always safer to use but $#@! just don't feel right.
    Exactly, and you don't realize you should have used one until its too late.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Shock and awe:

Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Hell yeah, lets see somebody rockin one of those at the track.

On a more serious note where do you go to try a few of these on to see how they fit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

On a more serious note where do you go to try a few of these on to see how they fit?
    Any track shop or motorcycle shop.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale