Thread: Detailing Products..where?!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @chrisisnapping

Hey Chris, i was wondering if you could comment on my proposed detailing schedule and see if i have the right idea:

1)Two-Bucket Hand Wash (using CG's Citrus Wash to remove everything, including wax)
    2)Use the 7424xp with orange cutting pad/swirl remover to get rid of swirls
    3)Use 7424xp with white finishing pad and a glaze
    4)Use 7424xp with a sealent or wax and a waxing pad OR hand-wax the car with one of my paste wax/microfiber towels

This is just for the paintwork, fyi.

My question is: is using the ROB to apply a wax more effective than a handwax with a towel/paste or no?
    I personally use a MF cutting pad or a Surbuf pad for cutting. However i use surbuf for more neglected paints. For compound ive been using Menz FG400 and the occasional Megs D300.

For polish I use Sonax Nano polish but plan on buying perfect finish soon. Ive been using mostly the DD uber pads for polishing and final polish.

For the tighter areas of the car get a different size backing plate that way you can use smaller pads for pillars, etc.

For sealant, ive been using AF tough coat and apply that with an applicator but take a look at Sonax Net shield as it lasts longer (~6 months). After sealant has cured and been wiped off or a paint cleaner (like AF rejuvenate) has been applied, i tend to apply my waxes by hand as i can spread it really thin and end up using less. Plus this makes it alot easier to wipe off. Its a little tricky to do at first and takes alot longer, but i am able to apply wax in the little crevices like around the hood and door jambs. I use either a swissvax blue wax towel or a DD green uber super plush towel to remove wax.

One trick i tell alot of people is to apply wax into areas like the inside edges of the hood and engine bay area, gas cap area and any other small area as it help make the wax last longer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JR M3 Click here to enlarge
    I personally use a MF cutting pad or a Surbuf pad for cutting. However i use surbuf for more neglected paints. For compound ive been using Menz FG400 and the occasional Megs D300.

For polish I use Sonax Nano polish but plan on buying perfect finish soon. Ive been using mostly the DD uber pads for polishing and final polish.

For the tighter areas of the car get a different size backing plate that way you can use smaller pads for pillars, etc.

For sealant, ive been using AF tough coat and apply that with an applicator but take a look at Sonax Net shield as it lasts longer (~6 months). After sealant has cured and been wiped off or a paint cleaner (like AF rejuvenate) has been applied, i tend to apply my waxes by hand as i can spread it really thin and end up using less. Plus this makes it alot easier to wipe off. Its a little tricky to do at first and takes alot longer, but i am able to apply wax in the little crevices like around the hood and door jambs. I use either a swissvax blue wax towel or a DD green uber super plush towel to remove wax.

One trick i tell alot of people is to apply wax into areas like the inside edges of the hood and engine bay area, gas cap area and any other small area as it help make the wax last longer.
    Hey there,

I just ordered this stuff from Chemical Guys earlier today:

Click here to enlarge

My plan is to use the V36 followed by the Pro Polish Nano 3n for the tougher stuff, and the Pro Polish Nano 3n on its own for a pre-wax polish/light swirling every now and then. Im going to try out the CG's Hex-logic pads for now. I debated between the Nano 3n and the Perfect Finish for a long time but wound up just going with the Nano 3n because it seemed a like what i need for the swirls on my car as it is. Wrong choice?

How long does it take to cure a sealent? Can i drive it in between? Ive never messed with sealants before, so im somewhat uninformed...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

detailors domain was/is having a sale
    phil is great to deal with Click here to enlarge
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge

How long does it take to cure a sealent? Can i drive it in between? Ive never messed with sealants before, so im somewhat uninformed...
    it really depends on the sealant, it should tell you on the label. could be a few hours, could be 24 hours. you can drive the car during that period. The main thing about the "curing" time is you can't apply a wax over the sealant before it's cured, i mean you can, it just won't take/last.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    it really depends on the sealant, it should tell you on the label. could be a few hours, could be 24 hours. you can drive the car during that period. The main thing about the "curing" time is you can't apply a wax over the sealant before it's cured, i mean you can, it just won't take/last.
    Ohokay i see. Thank you!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quick tip to save you some money,

If you need any big name stuff, i.e. Mothers, Meguiars, Stoner Invisible Glass, Quick detailer, etc.... Go to Walmart!! I stocked up on a bunch of crap that would have been double if I would have bought it online/pepboys/auto zone.
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG_M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Go to Walmart!! I stocked up on a bunch of crap that would have been double if I would have bought it online/pepboys/auto zone.
    You sir are a genius. I wasted so much money at pepboys...
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You sir are a genius. I wasted so much money at pepboys...
    I always forget that Walmart has an Auto Care section in the store. I walked in there this past weekend to grab some microfiber cloths and viola! They had invisible glass, Mothers quick detailer spary, meguiars gold class soap (big bottle), and Mobil1 synthetic 5qt jugs. I was really surprised to say the least. I will now buy the basic $#@! I need for car maintenance at Walmart. I just have to get used to the people that you see in there Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG_M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I just have to get used to the people that you see in there
    I try not to be a snob but... I mean, I feel like some of the people in there have given up on life or just are the bottom barrel of society: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Click here to enlarge
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol funny thread. http://www.rgslabs.com/ this has everything you need in one can, the guy at the gas station told me so. NASCAR approved, get some!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see you list any items or steps regarding clay bar and/or lubricant?

I would also side with using sealant instead of wax, the protection lasts longer. A lot of people go with wax because it's "shinier" but I've found that Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection leaves a finish just as "shiny" as wax.

This isn't a big deal, but I also didn't see any type of degreaser in your list.

You could also invest in a cheap LED spotlight so you can reveal where all of your defects are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12