Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Quaife Announces LSD for M278 C207 E550 Coupe, Due July

@Sticky, you asked for a new thread on this, and here it is. Link to Quaife's website below:
    http://www.quaife.co.uk/node/3700

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky , you asked for a new thread on this, and here it is. Link to Quaife's website below:
    http://www.quaife.co.uk/node/3700
    Thank you sir! Article coming up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Quaife releases a limited slip differential for the C207 Mercedes-Benz E550

It is official, Quaife has a limited slip differential upgrade available for the C207 Mercedes-Benz E550 models. With the torque the M278 twin turbo V8 generates a limited slip differential becomes necessary to maintain traction and definitely will improve putting the power down in corners especially as well as the straightline or low traction conditions (rain, snow). The diff is a direct replacement for the factory open differential. It will not interfere with the electronics or cause any malfunction lights.

The differential will also eliminate a degree of torque steer from the factory open diff. Quite simply, it's a great upgrade for the rear wheel drive E550 coupes. The diff comes with a lifetime warranty and will be available in July.

Great of Quaife to take care of a definite need for C207 E550 owners.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quaife makes some GREAT diffs, but they do have there limitations.

AS a Glesson torsen spin off, read worm gear diff here, thay have a limited torque bias. Although this will NOT be important to many here, if you plan on road racing with it you will find out what I mean. Espically if you use R type tires.

Great for the street, IMHO, and CERTAINLY a REQUIRED part of ANY mods for your Merc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

That looks good. Renntech are also offering LSD's for this platform.
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    That looks good. Renntech are also offering LSD's for this platform.

What?!?!?! I saw their transmission upgrade, but have never seen mention of an LSD for M278-powered C207. It's not listed on their website, either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

QUAIFE is a great company. You just reminded me to ask them about a diff for my M3. Cheers.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Damn the V8TT E550 coupes will hurt a lot of feelings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Already has. There were several Camaro, Mustang, etc. owners at MIR whose jaws just about hit the ground.

I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Already has. There were several Camaro, Mustang, etc. owners at MIR whose jaws just about hit the ground.

I anticipated a .2 sec gain until I spoke to Cory at Kleemann. He stated that, in his experience, it would likely be closer to a .4 sec gain with just a LSD. Since I'm going to do new downpipes and a tune shortly after the LSD, I should be deep in the 11's before Christmas.
    Awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent... I look forward to your adventures!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

With a tune, downpipes, I don't see why you wouldn't be nicely into the 11's on drag rubber.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Some of the fastest E55's without a LSD have done the SAME et's befoer and after a LSD.

DO NOT expect a serious drop in et, unless you are on street tires.

One of the BEST E55 drivers dropped in a Quaife, and his ET did NOT change. Sorry guys but facts are facts.

Think CiroMikey here on DRtimes

DR and R tires will give you good results.

For street use, and MILD road racing, it will change your vehicle for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    Some of the fastest E55's without a LSD have done the SAME et's befoer and after a LSD.

I want to point out this is correct as an open diff and limited slip diff with traction on the strip basically work in the same way.

The limited slip helps when you are in adverse conditions or in turns more than anything else.

The most important thing on the strip is tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    That's just it, though. I have no intention of doing drag radials, and that was part of the discussion with Cory.

Either way, I'll have imperical evidence at a later date. I'll do another run just before install, then immediately after.

@mramg1, did the E55 driver you referenced have a factory LSD that he replaced with a quaife, or an open diff replaced with an LSD?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I want to point out this is correct as an open diff and limited slip diff with traction on the strip basically work in the same way.

The limited slip helps when you are in adverse conditions or in turns more than anything else.

The most important thing on the strip is tires.
    Could you please explain what you mean here? I understand that in non-slip conditions, an LSD and open diff function identically. And assuming both tires have identical levels of friction (function of tire and surface), an LSD and open diff should perform similarly. But no two tires are identical, as are no two patches of pavement (or asphalt). An LSD should be able to provide some compensation for these variances, even at the strip, right?

I get that traction control attempts to do this by applying friction (brakes) to the spinning wheel. But won't the friction just further degrade performance? Isn't a mechanical solution to provide biased torque better/more efficient than a frictional one?

With an open diff, the maximum amount of torque delivered is twice that of what the wheel with the least traction supports. An LSD allows for the wheel with more traction to receive more torque, and therefore should (theoretically) deliver more total torque to-the-ground. In the case of the Quaife, I believe (can't remember exactly) it can deliver up to 60% more torque to the wheel with more traction, vs. the 50/50 split that an open diff always deliver.

Please feel free to correct any erroneous assertions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That's just it, though. I have no intention of doing drag radials, and that was part of the discussion with Cory.

Either way, I'll have imperical evidence at a later date. I'll do another run just before install, then immediately after.

@mramg1 , did the E55 driver you referenced have a factory LSD that he replaced with a quaife, or an open diff replaced with an LSD?
    No E55 ever came with a facotry posi, sad but true. The funny part was that he did expect to drop a tenth or two, but he ran the exact 0-60 times as well as the 1/4. Go figure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Could you please explain what you mean here? I understand that in non-slip conditions, an LSD and open diff function identically. And assuming both tires have identical levels of friction (function of tire and surface), an LSD and open diff should perform similarly.
    You got it, that's exactly what I meant.

Isn't a mechanical solution to provide biased torque better/more efficient than a frictional one?
    I would think so.

With an open diff, the maximum amount of torque delivered is twice that of what the wheel with the least traction supports. An LSD allows for the wheel with more traction to receive more torque, and therefore should (theoretically) deliver more total torque to-the-ground. In the case of the Quaife, I believe (can't remember exactly) it can deliver up to 60% more torque to the wheel with more traction, vs. the 50/50 split that an open diff always deliver.

Please feel free to correct any erroneous assertions.
    There is nothing to correct, you have a firm grasp of the topic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Update - the Quaife diff is complete and on order!

Of course, I'm still looking for an installer. If only Kleemann were closer....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Update - the Quaife diff is complete and on order!

Of course, I'm still looking for an installer. If only Kleemann were closer....
    You should have several options for an installer in your area. What I need to do is add an ability to sort by zip for shops that install parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You should have several options for an installer in your area.
    You would think that. But so far, I haven't found anyone that I feel is both confident and competent.

What I need to do is add an ability to sort by zip for shops that install parts.
    That would be great. I would even drive a few hours away if a shop would guarantee a one-day swap. According to Quaife, this job should only take 6 hours for an experienced installer, or 8 for one not-so-experienced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

You would think that. But so far, I haven't found anyone that I feel is both confident and competent.

That would be great. I would even drive a few hours away if a shop would guarantee a one-day swap. According to Quaife, this job should only take 6 hours for an experienced installer, or 8 for one not-so-experienced.
    In the mean time let's see if we can find you a shop.

Maybe create a thread in Regional about Virginia installers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Ugh. Well, I'm bump it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I got a referral off of MBWorld for MTech in Wilmington, DE (about 2 hours away). After talking to John, finding some online reviews, etc., I've decided to have them do the install. Everything he said lines up with what both Kleemann and Quaife have said, and his hourly rate is reasonable.

Thanks for the help, @Sticky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast