Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Xbox One versus Playstation 4 - Sony packing more heat this round

So the PS4 and new Xbox called Xbox One are coming. The specs show that the PS4 is more powerful. I don't know which one I will be getting yet but hard to deny the sony advantage:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

On the graphics side it’s once again obvious that Microsoft and Sony are shopping at the same store as the Xbox One’s SoC integrates an AMD GCN based GPU. Here’s where things start to get a bit controversial. Sony opted for an 18 Compute Unit GCN configuration, totaling 1152 shader processors/cores/ALUs. Microsoft went for a far smaller configuration: 768 (12 CUs).Microsoft can’t make up the difference in clock speed alone (AMD’s GCN seems to top out around 1GHz on 28nm), and based on current leaks it looks like both MS and Sony are running their GPUs at the same 800MHz clock. The result is a 33% reduction in compute power, from 1.84 TFLOPs in the PS4 to 1.23 TFLOPs in the Xbox One. We’re still talking about over 5x the peak theoretical shader performance of the Xbox 360, likely even more given increases in efficiency thanks to AMD’s scalar GCN architecture (MS quotes up to 8x better GPU performance) - but there’s no escaping the fact that Microsoft has given the Xbox One less GPU hardware than Sony gave the PlayStation 4. Note that unlike the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 era, Sony's hardware advantage here won't need any clever developer work to extract - the architectures are near identical, Sony just has more resources available to use.
    Remember all of my talk earlier about a slight pivot in strategy? Microsoft seems to believe that throwing as much power as possible at the next Xbox wasn’t the key to success and its silicon choices reflect that.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    TV? Sports? TV?

Sony needs to make playing online their focus, finding people to play with and set up online games is atrocious on the PS3. It''s a joke compared to even the original xbox imo. Not user friendly at all. I may not even end up buying a console this gen. I barely use my PS3 and I only bought it for a handful of games because I liked them when I was a teenager. The PS3 eye is fun when drunk, bocci is fun as well as a few other of the 'sports' games...
    Last edited by Torgus; 05-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    TV? Sports?

Sony needs to make playing online their focus, finding people to play with and set up online games is atrocious on the PS3. It''s a joke compared to even the original xbox imo. Not user friendly at all. I may not even end up buying a console this gen. I barely use my PS3 and I only bought it for a handful of games because I liked them when I was a teenager. The PS3 eye is fun when drunk, bocci is fun as well as a few other of the 'sports' games...
    CALL OF DUTYYYYYYY

I Have a PS3 and 360. I prefer the Ps3, Its a better system. But I use the 360 more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't even know if I need a console this next generation. What for?

The gaming on the PC is superior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

As it always has been. But much more expensive generally. I may build another gaming rig one of these days. Need to have the right game to inspire me to do so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats the thing, I just don't play enough games to afford a computer, and its nice to have "selection" in your living room.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats the thing, I just don't play enough games to afford a computer, and its nice to have "selection" in your living room.

And my "business computer" is a mac.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a powerful PC and don't game much any more so I guess I just don't see the reason for a console any longer for myself.

We'll see, I may buy it. But when you can game at higher resolution, having better graphics, 3 screens, etc., PC rules.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i7 pc 16Gb ram 2x SSD drives and a pair of GTX 660s when i was playing BF3, find consoles pointless.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

fagbox for the suck again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    fagbox for the suck again!
    PS3 sucks and the 360 has been the best selling console for 28 months or something like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have a gaming computer that does everything I need. Using it right now. I find that online multiplayer sessions on the consoles end up being 11 year old kids screaming in mics, the hacking, and all that jazz. Plus with PC there's better graphics, control, and flexibility IMO. I haven't played much lately, but I'm more into Flight Simulator X and racing games myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    TV, TV, COD, TV, TV, SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS.... what the $#@!?

I like the xbox. Lets just hope that the games still play well..

Truthfully, I have had a wii, ps3 and a 360 since their launches. Never play the wii, except when I originally beat zelda, only played the ps3 so I could hack it and watch movies(superior media player) and the 360 was my gaming machine. I've put a lot of play time on the 360. So assuming they keep the same quality of gameplay with better graphics, expanding their media playing side is really the part about the 360 I didn't like. SO assuming they can put them both together, perhaps it will be my ONE machine. The PS3 had media playing down much better. Lets see if they can step up their game play experience. Honestly, I just see both of the manufacturers focusing on their weaknesses, which is good. It doesn't mean the xbox will ONLY be good at media and that the ps4 will ONLY be good at games. Everyone seems to be so definitive these days and making assumptions based on the LIMITED information we have. We won't know until we try them out and anyone making any real comments about which is better is just somebody whose got nothing else better to do.... However the wii U is just $#@!ed and crap, we've already seen what it can/can't do. I might buy one for my kid though... And so I can hack it, lol. I get a kick out of just owning the systems more than I do actually using them.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2100+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I sold both my 360 and ps3 a while back. When I heard about the upcoming consoles, I contemplated purchasing them. After watching the Xbox reveal, I was pretty sure I was going to get XB1 first. I would eventually get both if the exclusive titles pushed the envelope but, I really like how MS is trying to integrate their system into a multimedia console instead of just for gaming. The James Bondish voice command capability for controlling components is pretty cool. Unfortunately, after reading the IGN article on confirmed details on the XB1, I will NOT be purchasing it at all.

Here are my gripes/deal breakers.

1. Mandatory login every 24hrs - I don't play my game nor watch tv everyday so that is a no go. It's not so much the necessary internet connection as i'm guessing it'll be possible to use your phone or something else as a hotspot if your service was to go out. My concern extends to, what if I go on vacation ? Do I have to get someone to babysit my xbox ? Perhaps they'll expound on this at E3 and it won't be this dramatic but, for now, it's a deal breaker.

2. No lending of games - I'm sorry but, I have friends and we swap games. I don't mind you have to install the game and this is a theft measure. However, this is not a necessary choice so, restricting me from borrowing games sucks balls. - Deal breaker.

3. Does not work without Kinect - Yea, I have enough of a time worrying about my daugther thrasing my console alone. To have to ensure the saftey of the Kinect or my console doesn't work seems kinda silly. - Gripe.

4. Kinect mic is ALWAYS ON - Yes, this allows part of the James Bondish action but, I'm not ok with this. Much too big brotherish and can be avoided by mandating you simply push the XBOX button like you do on the 360 to turn it on. Everything else could be voice command without the consumer concern. This is also why i'm thinking about cancelling my cable service ( which would render one more of the voice activated functions useless ) in the future if the companies install their mics to tailor commercials for subscribers. - Major deal breaker.

5. No backwards compatibility - This is more of a minor gripe as i'm not super affected by this ( as I stated, I sold my systems ) but, it still sucks. I understand it's a different operating system and it's unable to do it but, lol I don't care. The only real difference I can see from this upgrade is better graphics and perhaps a more expansive world to play in. The problem is, it won't be THAT much greater than the 360. We're not talking about a 480i to 720p jump like the last gen breakthrough. We're talking 720p to 1080p type of difference. An upgrade yes, but not mind blowing. Which basically means those with an expansive 360 library of games ( especially the digital games ) will catch the rape. I know the ultimate solution is to just use your existing consoles but, if the intention is to replace existing hardware, this isn't the way to go. I know this goes for Sony as well but, at least in their reveal they hinted at them POSSIBLY doing an integration of all past platform gaming to run on the PS4 later on in it's life cycle.

Yea, call them petty gripes/deal breakers if you want but, this surely chopped my want for the new XB1 ( as much as I still love the new features and will probably want to play at least 10 of the 15 exclusive titles they have coming out ). I'm sure one of my friends will get it and i'll be able to play it there lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SleepersOwn Click here to enlarge
    3. Does not work without Kinect - Yea, I have enough of a time worrying about my daugther thrasing my console alone. To have to ensure the saftey of the Kinect or my console doesn't work seems kinda silly. - Gripe.
    You HAVE to use Kinect? Lame.

Kinect mic is ALWAYS ON - Yes, this allows part of the James Bondish action but, I'm not ok with this. Much too big brotherish and can be avoided by mandating you simply push the XBOX button like you do on the 360 to turn it on. Everything else could be voice command without the consumer concern. This is also why i'm thinking about cancelling my cable service ( which would render one more of the voice activated functions useless ) in the future if the companies install their mics to tailor commercials for subscribers. - Major deal breaker.
    What if they record what you're saying? They apparently are toying with the idea of making certain things not work if its being shared by too many people that kinect detects (like a movie) which is insane.

I will just stick with the PC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You HAVE to use Kinect? Lame.
    Yea, for all the greatness to work in harmony, eliminating the kinect is not an option. This is not to say all games will require kinect involvement though.

What if they record what you're saying? They apparently are toying with the idea of making certain things not work if its being shared by too many people that kinect detects (like a movie) which is insane.

I will just stick with the PC.
    That is exactly why i'm not ok with it. The possibility for misuse of power is too great. You have a system that's connected to the internet and has a mic that " listens " ( and possibly records ) 24/7. That screams invasion of privacy. If not by big brother, by some trolling hackers. I understand they have to make the console attractive for sustaining the profits of developers etc but, I think MS is doing too much of what THEY want to do instead of what GAMERS would want to do. It's not easy to make people happy, I understand. It is much easier to turn them off though.

Edit: Forgot to add the link to the article.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-and-dont-know

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Edit: Forgot to add the link to the article.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-and-dont-know
    Checking out the article now, thanks for the link.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Checking out the article now, thanks for the link.
    No problem. Just checked out their update of more info on the Kinect 2. Not good imo. Like I said, the sheer possibility of improper actions is too great. It seems by the comments on the page, i'm not the only one that thinks so. The " Orwell Box " line was chuckle worthy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...use-visual-drm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PS3 sucks and the 360 has been the best selling console for 28 months or something like that.
    Ps3 sucking is purely wrong. and i dont think you can argue most sold as to which is best

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a i7 16GB Alienware laptop .. but still preferred gaming on my PS3 until it melted recently. Gave me many years of good service though!

The only time I really got to play was late at night when drunk, so I'm not going to bother replacing it. Might look at the next PS.

I miss the old days of online gaming, Counterstrike, Quake, Elite Force, Return to Castle Wolfenstein... maybe I'm just too old now Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I have a i7 16GB Alienware laptop .. but still preferred gaming on my PS3 until it melted recently. Gave me many years of good service though!

The only time I really got to play was late at night when drunk, so I'm not going to bother replacing it. Might look at the next PS.

I miss the old days of online gaming, Counterstrike, Quake, Elite Force, Return to Castle Wolfenstein... maybe I'm just too old now Click here to enlarge
    Many years spent playing CS from the early betas. Played for SK with HeaTon in my better days!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Ps3 sucking is purely wrong. and i dont think you can argue most sold as to which is best
    Well the Xbox 360 has lasted 8 years which is incredible. It's online service is superior and it came out before the PS3.

I prefer it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast