Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Exclamation First K&N Fitlers for the SLS AMG !!!

I just recently installed K&N Filters on my SLS AMG and replaced them over my previous BMC filters.

I went and tested out first the BMC filters and the K&N Filters on Android's Software "Torque". The maximum mass air flowrate for the BMC came out to be 425 g/s and for the K&N I got 440 g/s. This means that the K&N filters slightly have a better air flow rate.

Now I know when you go to K&N's website, you will not find air filters available for the SLS.

Just let's find out how I got them Click here to enlarge

Here are some pics

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This is the BMC. Notice that I have removed the oil from the filter. I do that to protect the MAF Sensors from the oil.

Click here to enlarge

And here now I have fitted the K&N Filter. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Before using them I decided to remove the oil from them

Click here to enlarge

Nice and Clean Now Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Just to give an idea of how much oil there was

Click here to enlarge

In conclusion I find that the K&N filters allow a better air flowrate than the BMC air filters. In addition the K&N filters are cheaper as well.

For BMC filters the total price come out to be $172.92 through BMC's website. The K&N filters I got them for $82! A little bit more than half.

Notice that on the website you won't find K&N filters that fit for the SLS AMG Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Good work But you should have just removed the oil lightly and not completely. the Oil is there to filter out dirt and to trap all kinds of dust and dirt particles.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Good work But you should have just removed the oil lightly and not completely. the Oil is there to filter out dirt and to trap all kinds of dust and dirt particles.
    I just purchased a new set . This time I will not remove the oil at all as advised by my bro @Jacob502 I will then measure the air flowrate through Andoroid's software "Torque". I think there might not be a big difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

5 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    I just purchased a new set . This time I will not remove the oil at all as advised by my bro @Jacob502 I will then measure the air flowrate through Andoroid's software "Torque". I think there might not be a big difference.
    Nice Post Bro. The Oil is to absorb all the chips and fines that could get transferred into your engine. The only downside to that is sometimes this oil damages your MAF sensors. You do remember what the Oil did to my MAF sensor on my SL63.

IF you remove the oil, you will need to check the filters more often to ensure that they are clean or need furthur cleaning.

I also like @0-60Motorsports Idea, where you dont remove all the oil but keep a portion of it. This could possibly help absorb more particles and will not require cleaning your filters more often. I'm going to try it on my K&N's.
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    Nice Post Bro. The Oil is to absorb all the chips and fines that could get transferred into your engine. The only downside to that is sometimes this oil damages your MAF sensors. You do remember what the Oil did to my MAF sensor on my SL63.

IF you remove the oil, you will need to check the filters more often to ensure that they are clean or need furthur cleaning.

I also like @0-60Motorsports Idea, where you dont remove all the oil but keep a portion of it. This could possibly help absorb more particles and will not require cleaning your filters more often. I'm going to try it on my K&N's.
    hella Bro,

Just wash it lightly OR best way is to use the K&N Cleaner kit and clean the filters completely free of oil. Then spray over just a light coating of K&N Filter oil and let it soak in for about 30 mins. Trsut me I've been doing this for the last 8 years LOL and its much better for MAFs.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    hella Bro,

Just wash it lightly OR best way is to use the K&N Cleaner kit and clean the filters completely free of oil. Then spray over just a light coating of K&N Filter oil and let it soak in for about 30 mins. Trsut me I've been doing this for the last 8 years LOL and its much better for MAFs.

+1. Thanks for the tip. I'll start doing what you do. I had a horrible experience once with the oil running through my MAF's
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    +1. Thanks for the tip. I'll start doing what you do. I had a horrible experience once with the oil running through my MAF's
    Sounds good. Best of luck Brother.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If my calculations are correct, from 425 g/s to 440 g/s, that would equal out to be about 2-3hp difference. That is quite good just from switching sport filters.

Now how were you able to get a set of K&N's for your SLS? Were they custom made for you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Can those aftermarket filters damage your engine on the long run?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kelly80 Click here to enlarge
    Nope.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In conclusion I find that the K&N filters allow a better air flowrate than the BMC air filters. In addition the K&N filters are cheaper as well.
    What is this based on though?

Both are aftermarket filters and both will flow better than OEM. I think the difference is likely negligible.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

There won't be. Both are good choices.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kelly80 Click here to enlarge
    No definitely not. These days the filters usually remove charcoal elements in the OEM filters there for emissions. Not sure what the SLS has for the stock filters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No definitely not. These days the filters usually remove charcoal elements in the OEM filters there for emissions. Not sure what the SLS has for the stock filters.
    That is only the case in the US with US Spec cars. Euro Spec cars do not have charcoal filters installed etc.

Bottom line I have had aftermarket filters in ALL my vehicles from day one. they havent blown up yet. LOL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Both are aftermarket filters and both will flow better than OEM. I think the difference is likely negligible.
    There won't be. Both are good choices.
    Exactly, There is no way you can feel a BIG difference with drop in filters, unless your going from dirty to clean new filters. NOW if you compared both BMC and K&N Brand new then you should be able to tell a LITTLE difference if any between them.

Its so difficult to test filters on a dyno as the ram air effect from the road at high speed cant really be duplicated on a dyno, well almost Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its so difficult to test filters on a dyno as the ram air effect from the road at high speed cant really be duplicated on a dyno, well almost
    Heat soak is enough to affect testing aftermarket filters on the dyno. The difference is so minimal that there is almost no point. VS. OEM with charcoal like in the US, that's different Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Heat soak is enough to affect testing aftermarket filters on the dyno. The difference is so minimal that there is almost no point. VS. OEM with charcoal like in the US, that's different Click here to enlarge
    Yup, Forgot to mention heatsoak as the reason. Well They DO make a difference im sure but you cant really tell on the dyno.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

That is correct they will both flow better than the stock OEM filter. However I measured the BMC flowrate on Anroid's Torque and got 425g/s , for the K&N I got 440g/s. A little increase

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fast Lane Click here to enlarge
    If my calculations are correct, from 425 g/s to 440 g/s, that would equal out to be about 2-3hp difference. That is quite good just from switching sport filters.

Now how were you able to get a set of K&N's for your SLS? Were they custom made for you?
    Nope they were not custom made Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For those who want to know which K&N filter fits the SLS, it can be found here Click here to enlarge Amazon.com: K&N 33-2749 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive

However, for the filter to fit exactly, you will need to trim some of the edges. This can be done using a razor blade for example. The first ones I bought got damaged becuase I forced to close the Airboxes on them while using them.

The new ones I trimmed the edges and now there are no problems.