Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

How far are we from having OBD2 port tune capability?

I am happy to report that I am picking up a 2013 ML63 on Monday to replace the 2011 Cayenne Turbo, and I would like to avoid having to remove the ECU and have the car down if possible. How far away are the tuners from having OBD2 port flash capability?
    Current: 2013 GTR (built motor and trans, stock frame EFR 6758 turbo upgrade, 915 rwhp, 9.18 @ 150 on E85) - 2013 ML63 (Tuned by Renntech 12.0 @ 116) - 2000 E46 (SBC & F1R) 2003 S600 (Dad's DD Tuned)
    Past: 2011 Cayenne Turbo - 2006 Cayenne Turbo (catless and tuned) 2002 Z06 (Heads/Cam/Nitrous)
    Past: 2002 BMW M3 (AA Gen 7) - 2006 BMW M5 - 93 FD RX-7 (T66) - 88 FC RX-7 (LS1) - 90 FC RX-7

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

OE Tuning? I'm not too sure
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Do you have any idea how simple it is to remove the ECU from the M157 ? It's located right on top of the motor and literally takes a couple minutes to remove. I agree the handheld tuner is great, but if you want a tune right away, pop yours out and send it to Weistec Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The thought of drilling a hole into the top of the ECU or dismantling it is a concern to many. I have postponed getting my car tuned for this very reason. I hope an OBD2 flash is available soon.
    Last edited by Rock; 06-20-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

you're easily a good year away if not more
    Last edited by Jake@Eurocharged.com; 03-10-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rock Click here to enlarge
    The thought of drilling a hole into the top of the ECU or dismantling it is a concern to many. I have postponed getting my car tuned for this very reason. I hope an OBD2 flash is available soon.
    Drilling a hole ?? Who the hell does that ?? I've seen ECU's opened...but a hole drilled in it ? Must be an MHP thing Click here to enlarge
    I saw Steve from Weistec pull an M157 ECU at the NFZ event. Took him less than 5 mins to pull it and then he plugged directly into the ECU without opening it, modified the tune and put it back in the car. So I'm pretty sure there are some tuners who do not need to even open the ECU, just remove it from the car and plug into it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well, Kleemann drills a hole as well as Eurocharged (I think). AMS and Renntech open the ECU up to make their changes. If Weistec can just plug into the unit to change parameters, then they have achieved the OBD2 port tuning……right?
    2013 CLS63 PP, 2013 Audi RS5. 2009 Switzer GTR

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well, Kleemann drills a hole as well as Eurocharged (I think). AMS and Renntech open the ECU up to make their changes. If Weistec can just plug into the unit to change parameters, then they have achieved the OBD2 port tuning……right?
    No. Full OBD2 tuning would simply require plugging a computer into a port on the car via an OBD2 cable, without removal of the ECU.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I would love to know if this is true. I met with Kleemann and Corey showed me his rig for drilling. They have to short a pin on the board to force a write to memory or the system will return to factory. I thought RennTech was doing the same thing, but Corey did mention that you could heat up the ECU to pull it apart. He went with drilling due to risk of damage from putting the unit in an oven.

He did also mention that this was an issue with the newest cars - I think he said the 2011 I had could be flashed without a hole but the 2012 couldn't. What year was the one Weistec flashed in front of you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Don't think so. Otherwise Steve would have just plugged into the OBDII port rather than removing the ECU. I think they just plug into the ECU at the wiring harness plug. But he had the ECU retuned in 30 mins or so and it back in the car. I seriously doubt he was able to break the ECU seal, tune it and reseal it in that amount of time. Probably best to just give them a call and ask.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    I would love to know if this is true. I met with Kleemann and Corey showed me his rig for drilling. They have to short a pin on the board to force a write to memory or the system will return to factory. I thought RennTech was doing the same thing, but Corey did mention that you could heat up the ECU to pull it apart. He went with drilling due to risk of damage from putting the unit in an oven.

He did also mention that this was an issue with the newest cars - I think he said the 2011 I had could be flashed without a hole but the 2012 couldn't. What year was the one Weistec flashed in front of you?
    So tuners are actually drilling a hole in the ECU housing ? Where is the hole and how big is it ? Sounds like hack job if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't want a hole in my ECU especially considering it's supposed to be air/water tight.

I don't know the exact model of the car I saw him tune, it was an M157 CLS...Again, probably best to call and ask them. They tuned my M156 and it has no holes in it...I would assume it's the same process for tuning the M157 ECU ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    So tuners are actually drilling a hole in the ECU housing ? Where is the hole and how big is it ? Sounds like hack job if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't want a hole in my ECU especially considering it's supposed to be air/water tight.
    Yeah, it's about a 3/16" hole, just big enough to get in and short the pin. Kleemann's rig is set up so that he doesn't even have to guess the location, just lock and drill. When he's finished, he epoxies over and smoothes it out. He showed me one for another customer and all I could tell was a little discoloration near one of the fins but it looked completely solid and professional. My understanding is this is the only way and others are doing it exactly the same.

I don't know the exact model of the car I saw him tune, it was an M157 CLS...Again, probably best to call and ask them. They tuned my M156 and it has no holes in it...I would assume it's the same process for tuning the M157 ECU ?
    I think the M156 was programmable without the hole, but you can always check it.

@Weistec, @Jake@Eurocharged.com, @m54b25,
    Can any of you enlighten us?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

@Jake@Eurocharged.com is drilling required?

Isn't it simply removing the ECU and sending it in for a quick turnaround?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Are you familiar with Paulwdz?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Are you familiar with Paulwdz?
    I am aware that a certain member here has stated multiple times on MBWorld that they think it is me. I read lots of sites on the internet. Why do you ask ?

Other than that, I have no clue who the guy is nor do I have any interest in posting on that overly moderated piece of $#@! site. Did I adequately answer your condescending question ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    ^hehe you sound angry. Okay, I'll stick with car questions from now on.

So if Weistec can plug directly into the ECU to change the mapping, why are the big name tuners (Renntech and Kleemann) still dismantling and drilling holes into the M157's ECU?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

^hehe you sound angry. Okay, I'll stick with car questions from now on.
    No, not angry at all. I know that you are a mod over there and I don't appreciate the suggestion. But whatever, it's cool.

So if Weistec can plug directly into the ECU to change the mapping, why are the big name tuners (Renntech and Kleemann) still dismantling and drilling holes into the M157's ECU?
    I honestly can't say for sure that's why I said it's probably best to just call Weistec. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's because those tuners you mentioned are just that, "big name" and that's all. Renntech seems to be stepping up their game as of late, but I think Weistec is in a league of there own these days and are blowing the competition out of the water. There's a reason they were able to get CARB approval which is an incredible achievement and speaks volumes to their tuning capabilities.
    And BTW, that was not me who neg repped you above.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Okay thanks for the info. I'm sure Weistec is an exceptional tuning company but I'm talking specifically about the M157. Does Weistec have that engine figured out because I'm still reading about owners dealing with CEL and plug problems (even with the cooler ones). I'm not specifically referring to Weistec but rather the collective bunch. I've had my CLS for a year and I'm ready to have it tuned but I don't want to deal with those type of issues. Is it too much to ask that a tune be seamless and not create collateral problems?

BTW, I didn't know there was a rep system here. I guess I'll need to improve my behavior.Click here to enlarge I never had much interaction with you on MBworld but if you knew me over there you'd know I'm only serious about 1% of the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

sorry totally missed this ...

ya we still drill the small hole in the metal ecu housing, and epoxy it and paintmatch etc. We have a jig to do it as well just like everyone else. We first started doing it by opening the ecu using the oven/heater etc but found that after some time those ecus would fail. (the boards are extremely sensitive to water etc and with that outside seal broken we were seeing problems) I can only speak for ourselves and not another tuner so please keep that in mind.

m157 and 278 have to be bench flashed. There is no OBD product on the market yet for it. We were the first ones with the 63s as jerry helped with the protocols so we have a pretty good hand on the pulse of the community. (its a small market where everyone knows each other)

There are ways to solder chips on the ecu to allow pin flash via cable but we don't ever solder on the boards on ecus. M156 we can easily do via obd or pulling the ecu and hooking a cable to the pin side.

We are probably about a year or so out before we see the 157 with obd functionality. Some things just work slower than others. We are already doing obd tuning for the F10/F13 bmws.

@Rock your not asking for too much at all Most of us have it pretty well figured out. Stick with a good name and you should be fine.
    Eurocharged Performance

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa

Sales@eurocharged.com

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@Eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
    sorry totally missed this ...
    m157 and 278 have to be bench flashed. There is no OBD product on the market yet for it.
    Thanks Jake. So at this point you have to physically access the internal aspect of the M157 ECU to alter the mapping, correct? You cannot just plug into the ECU's port?

@Rock your not asking for too much at all Most of us have it pretty well figured out. Stick with a good name and you should be fine.
    So why do you think guys like NickE63 continue to have CEL issues and misfires? I don't mean to single you out Jake because I know that Renntech and others are having the same problems. Can you shed any light on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Thanks Jake. So at this point you have to physically access the internal aspect of the M157 ECU to alter the mapping, correct? You cannot just plug into the ECU's port?

So why do you think guys like NickE63 continue to have CEL issues and misfires? I don't mean to single you out Jake because I know that Renntech and others are having the same problems. Can you shed any light on this?
    correct...has to by physical.

we are learning more and more about the ecus and unlocking maps every day. I cannot speak with nicks issue as jerry helped with that but I would assume it would be a map that we didn't have access to.
    Eurocharged Performance

Sales@eurocharged.com

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

BTW, I didn't know there was a rep system here. I guess I'll need to improve my behavior.Click here to enlarge .
    Repped you back up.Click here to enlarge
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 things,

1. Any update on flash tune 2014 now Click here to enlarge

2. is it possible for me to buy a 2nd ecu and just swap that instead? no dealers around me really (indonesia) and shipping might take a while

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SEI Click here to enlarge
    is it possible for me to buy a 2nd ecu and just swap that instead? no dealers around me really (indonesia) and shipping might take a while
    You want to talk to @Weistec, @m54b25, and @ALPHA Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast