Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far are we from having OBD2 port tune capability?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SEI Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 things,

1. Any update on flash tune 2014 now Click here to enlarge

2. is it possible for me to buy a 2nd ecu and just swap that instead? no dealers around me really (indonesia) and shipping might take a while
    We have been successfully flashing the 2014 here with great results. Our shop 2014 is putting down 610whp on our dynojet.

I dont think you can swap ECU's as the ECU is married to the car. Like most MFG's you cant have more than one ECU married to a car at once.

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ALPHA Performance Click here to enlarge
    We have been successfully flashing the 2014 here with great results. Our shop 2014 is putting down 610whp on our dynojet.
    do you have a kit that we can flash at home with? like a cable that you can vnc through to program or something? mine is a 2012 E

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SEI Click here to enlarge
    do you have a kit that we can flash at home with? like a cable that you can vnc through to program or something? mine is a 2012 E
    I don't think they have a way to flash at home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So to be clear...is there still no alternative to drilling the ECU? Any on the horizon?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rory breaker Click here to enlarge
    So to be clear...is there still no alternative to drilling the ECU? Any on the horizon?
    I don't know I've seen OBD-II flash claims but haven't seen them demonstrated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't know I've seen OBD-II flash claims but haven't seen them demonstrated.
    It would sure be nice if one of the major tuners could figure this out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sdg1871 Click here to enlarge
    It would sure be nice if one of the major tuners could figure this out.
    Once one does you can bet they all will. Mercedes isn't making it easy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Once one does you can bet they all will. Mercedes isn't making it easy.
    It could be worse like the BMW encryption for the F10 M5 engine which no one in the US can seem to crack, necessitating piggyback tunes. I will gladly have my E63's ECU popped out for a reflash over a piggyback tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)

It could be worse like the BMW encryption for the F10 M5 engine which no one in the US can seem to crack, necessitating piggyback tunes. I will gladly have my E63's ECU popped out for a reflash over a piggyback tune.
    Exactly at least the M157 guys have options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Exactly at least the M157 guys have options.
    Indeed. One of the significant reasons I chose the 2015 E63 S over the 2015 M5 CP -- dramatically greater tuneability and power gains (especially torque) from a tune. That and the huge traction/acceleration from a stop and at low speeds advantage of AWD over RWD. And of course, dramatically better intake and exhaust noise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)

Indeed. One of the significant reasons I chose the 2015 E63 S over the 2015 M5 CP -- dramatically greater tuneability and power gains (especially torque) from a tune. That and the huge traction/acceleration from a stop and at low speeds advantage of AWD over RWD. And of course, dramatically better intake and exhaust noise.
    All logical reasons. And yes, the sound of the new M motors is a disappointment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All logical reasons. And yes, the sound of the new M motors is a disappointment.
    The M5 does have its advantages over the E63 S.

1. Better high speed acceleration (but living in the NYC area and never really exceeding 100 mph in driving this does not matter to me).

2. Better styling inside and out (subjective but that is my opinion).

3. Much better selection of paint colors (Mercedes is laughably conservative in its paint choices for the E63 with a million shades of black and silver/grey but no really bold blue).

4. Better electronics (huge screen vs. W212's little porthole of a screen and iDrives seems more user friendly to me than COMAND).

5. Better sound system (the HK in the F10 (I have one) is much better than either the stock HK or the $5400 B&O in the E63).

6. Better lease deals and maintenance included. AMG leases are usually a lot higher in price due to higher MFs and lower residuals and Mercedes does not include maintenance.

7. Dinan mods with their warranty that matches BMW's bumper to bumper warranty and Dinan's smooth integration into BMW dealerships who can install even complicated Dinan mods. AMG tuners don't have that other than a partial one through Eurocharged's engine warranty.

8. Much better ED program in terms of discounts. You can approach 15% off MSRP with ED for BMW. The best I was offered with ED for the E63 was 8 percent off MSRP. Also, most MB dealers I contacted were clueless about ED as compared to BMW dealers.

9. More responsive, proactive dealer network. Most MB dealers I contacted in my search for an E63 were quite non responsive -- not knowledgeable and most did not return phone calls or even give me a quote after an initial long conversation. BMW dealers act like they want your business a lot more.

These are all advantages that I see in the M5. But at the end of the day, the E63's greater tuneability and massive gains especially in torque, engine/exhaust noise and the winter traction and starting and low speed acceleration conferred by its AWD won me over.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The M5 does have its advantages over the E63 S.

1. Better high speed acceleration (but living in the NYC area and never really exceeding 100 mph in driving this does not matter to me).

2. Better styling inside and out (subjective but that is my opinion).

3. Much better selection of paint colors (Mercedes is laughably conservative in its paint choices for the E63 with a million shades of black and silver/grey but no really bold blue).

4. Better electronics (huge screen vs. W212's little porthole of a screen and iDrives seems more user friendly to me than COMAND).

5. Better sound system (the HK in the F10 (I have one) is much better than either the stock HK or the $5400 B&O in the E63).

6. Better lease deals and maintenance included. AMG leases are usually a lot higher in price due to higher MFs and lower residuals and Mercedes does not include maintenance.

7. Dinan mods with their warranty that matches BMW's bumper to bumper warranty and Dinan's smooth integration into BMW dealerships who can install even complicated Dinan mods. AMG tuners don't have that other than a partial one through Eurocharged's engine warranty.

8. Much better ED program in terms of discounts. You can approach 15% off MSRP with ED for BMW. The best I was offered with ED for the E63 was 8 percent off MSRP. Also, most MB dealers I contacted were clueless about ED as compared to BMW dealers.

9. More responsive, proactive dealer network. Most MB dealers I contacted in my search for an E63 were quite non responsive -- not knowledgeable and most did not return phone calls or even give me a quote after an initial long conversation. BMW dealers act like they want your business a lot more.

These are all advantages that I see in the M5. But at the end of the day, the E63's greater tuneability and massive gains especially in torque, engine/exhaust noise and the winter traction and starting and low speed acceleration conferred by its AWD won me over. My car when it gets the Renntech full tune and sport mufflers will have 716 bhp and 859 lbs-ft. I am very happy it has AWD as I would hate to see the traction control light come on all the time and cut power and my friends with modded M5s/M6s complain that it does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Any New breakthroughs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adreN Click here to enlarge
    Any New breakthroughs?
    Nothing new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12