Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes CL63 amg-advices.

Hello everyone.I'm new in this forum.I'm sorry in advance if this is not the correct section for posting my thread.The forum is wonderful.I've read a lot of interesting and helpful stuff about the amg's.Now moving to the questions.I am thinking in the next 1-2 years to buy a Mercedes cl63 amg 2008-09.This is my dream Mercedes.I was wondering between the S-class and the CL but I prefer the CL because it looks more sporty to me and I decided that there is no need for a 4-door car.So I would like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages about this model.Which are the main things that I have to look for when buying it?What are the most recent problems that may occur?I've read that the abc suspension causes problems so what is the reason that so many owners always complain about it?Is it hard to maintenance?Any information will be very appreciated.Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,
    Andrey

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andy-6.3 Click here to enlarge
    Hello everyone.I'm new in this forum.I'm sorry in advance if this is not the correct section for posting my thread.The forum is wonderful.I've read a lot of interesting and helpful stuff about the amg's.Now moving to the questions.I am thinking in the next 1-2 years to buy a Mercedes cl63 amg 2008-09.This is my dream Mercedes.I was wondering between the S-class and the CL but I prefer the CL because it looks more sporty to me and I decided that there is no need for a 4-door car.So I would like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages about this model.Which are the main things that I have to look for when buying it?What are the most recent problems that may occur?I've read that the abc suspension causes problems so what is the reason that so many owners always complain about it?Is it hard to maintenance?Any information will be very appreciated.Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,
    Andrey
    Stay away from the CLS and CL 63's. Thats my advice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    Stay away from the CLS and CL 63's. Thats my advice
    (drum roll)... because?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I also would like to know why do you think that?Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'll go with what I know about the car and having a 6.3 myself I know how much it could cost.

CL63's use ABC controller for the suspension still, usually we see those cars have that fail between 75k-100k miles. To replace that is a complete pain and requires over 3-5k in just parts, not including labor.

Also the 08-09 still possibly have the M156 v8 headbolt failure problems. As infrequent as the headbolt problem is, it still can pop up and if you are without a warranty you could be looking at 8-10k to replace the damage caused to the motor during the failure of the headbolt. To replace the headbolts yourself at an indy shop you'll still incur about 2-3k in labor.

You can probably find someone to cover this car with an aftermarket warranty, however it is going to cost you. Back when I had my 05 E55 last year they wanted $8,000 for 2 years 24,000 miles with a 100 dollar deductible. A lot of warranty companies have a hard time covering a car that was 150k brand new and is now 5+ years old.

My advice is to stay away from SL's and CL's those models, unless you have a disposable income.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I personally prefer the CL as yes it is sportier looking but it still is very heavy.

The M156 Motor is pretty well known and what is said in the post above is what you really need to worry about.

If you don't want a four door your choices really come down to the CL, SL, and C63 Coupe if you want the M156 engine.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by johnnyblaze Click here to enlarge
    I'll go with what I know about the car and having a 6.3 myself I know how much it could cost.

CL63's use ABC controller for the suspension still, usually we see those cars have that fail between 75k-100k miles. To replace that is a complete pain and requires over 3-5k in just parts, not including labor.

Also the 08-09 still possibly have the M156 v8 headbolt failure problems. As infrequent as the headbolt problem is, it still can pop up and if you are without a warranty you could be looking at 8-10k to replace the damage caused to the motor during the failure of the headbolt. To replace the headbolts yourself at an indy shop you'll still incur about 2-3k in labor.

You can probably find someone to cover this car with an aftermarket warranty, however it is going to cost you. Back when I had my 05 E55 last year they wanted $8,000 for 2 years 24,000 miles with a 100 dollar deductible. A lot of warranty companies have a hard time covering a car that was 150k brand new and is now 5+ years old.

My advice is to stay away from SL's and CL's those models, unless you have a disposable income.
    Good post man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks a lot guys for the info.It was really useful to me.I didn't know about that thing with the headbolt problem.Maybe I'll have to think again before making a decision.How exactly can be caused this damage with the headbolt that you mentioned above?I mean is it due to a defect or it happens just accidentally?I've searched about the headbolt failure and found out that Weistec engineering offers a solution to that problem,ARP head stud kit,which cost about 1000$.I also really love the new 5.5 biturbo CL,but it's too expensive for now.What do you think guys about that engine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How exactly can be caused this damage with the headbolt that you mentioned above?I mean is it due to a defect or it happens just accidentally?
    It is a defect with the headbolt type they used. Without diving into too much details, the headbolt after wear and tear either fractures or breaks off causing coolant to drain out of the engine. It has happened in cars with very high mileage and very rarely has happened in low mileage vehicles. In some extreme cases this has caused coolant to dump into the engine and cause the engine to hydro lock and bend rods. This problem of course has only happened to a very small number of cars compared to the number of AMG M156 motors. Its probably in a less than 3%.

No offense to Sticky, and I hope he doesnt mind me linking you to mbworld about the headbolt problem.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...-problems.html

Here is a couple of horror stories on the forums that are in the link above.

As for the 5.5 biturbo motor, they are absolute monsters. They are extremely fast without any mods but really shine with a flash tune from one of the big tuners (Weistec, Renntech, OETuning, Eurocharged). I've seen guys with down pipes and tunes run 170+ in the 1/2 mile, which is insane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    (drum roll)... because?
    LOL, I got a negative rep because I asked why! Sticky can you find out who the fool was? Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, I got a negative rep because I asked why! Sticky can you find out who the fool was? Thanks.
    They're anonymous...

But some people really don't use the system right and I see who they are and adjust their rep accordingly. They'll get theirs don't worry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks a lot guys for the info.It was really useful to me.I didn't know about that thing with the headbolt problem.Maybe I'll have to think again before making a decision.How exactly can be caused this damage with the headbolt that you mentioned above?I mean is it due to a defect or it happens just accidentally?I've searched about the headbolt failure and found out that Weistec engineering offers a solution to that problem,ARP head stud kit,which cost about 1000$.I also really love the new 5.5 biturbo CL,but it's too expensive for now.What do you think guys about that engine?
    I honestly prefer the M156. More displacement, higher redline. Also from what I hear it's better built and able to handle more when built.

But the M157 has turbos and that's damn nice for power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks a lot all of you for the help.So I'll have to look for a low mileage cl and I think the first thing to do when buy it will be changing these problematic head bolts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks a lot all of you for the help.So I'll have to look for a low mileage cl and I think the first thing to do when buy it will be changing these problematic head bolts.
    And getting a blower Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    And getting a blower Click here to enlarge
    Yeah,this is one of the main things I have in mind to do when buy it.I've widely read about the products that weistec offers for this engine and the supercharger kits are so sick.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah,this is one of the main things I have in mind to do when buy it.I've widely read about the products that weistec offers for this engine and the supercharger kits are so sick.Click here to enlarge
    Experience one if you are in the area. It's quite eye opening.