Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Government shutdown, does anyone even notice anything different?

I do not. Do you?

I was thinking if the world has not ended because parts of the government shut down why exactly can't we keep them permanently shut down until the budget is reigned in? Isn't this a perfect trim the fat time showing what is and is not essential?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    "Essential personnel" are still in place, I'm one of the lucky ones...

on a positive note, finding a good parking spot is no longer a chore Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    State parks were supposed to be closed...probably the only thing I would notice. Also isn't the ATF or something not working?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

So if everything is working... why not just permanently cut the non-essential stuff?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So if everything is working... why not just permanently cut the non-essential stuff?
    Lets cut giving foreign aid and look at our spending outside of the US before we start cutting anything internally...least that is my vote. Take care and make us the best possible place to live. Sorry rest of the world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Lets cut giving foreign aid and looking at our spending outside of the US before we start cutting anything internally...
    Why not cut both?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Why not cut both?
    I really have a thing for the national state park system but I agree for the most part. I tried to ninja edit my above post but fail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Well I work on a military installation, so essential personnel are more or less here to keep the military going. I imagine true government functions are completely shut down.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    FACTS
    "Last week, the House passed a bill to completely defund the health law. When the Senate rejected it, the House passed another version that would have abolished a tax on medical devices and delayed the law for a year. When the Senate rejected that, House Republicans passed another bill that would have delayed the individual mandate and revoked health insurance subsidies for congressional staffers. After the Senate said no to that, the clock ran out and the government shut down. Thatís when the House asked for private negotiations ó surprise, the Senate turned that down ó and thatís where the parties stand now. " from the article on yahoo....WAIT Mr. President the Republicans aren't negotiating? Takes two to tango you arrogant ignoramus.

We need to cut EVERYTHING! Over seas, and in the US, our house and senators that are failing should be fired, if we are unable to come to a reasonable conclusion the lawmakers should be fired.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    We need to cut EVERYTHING! Over seas, and in the US, our house and senators that are failing should be fired, if we are unable to come to a reasonable conclusion the lawmakers should be fired.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason.

- Benjamin Franklin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I really have a thing for the national state park system but I agree for the most part. I tried to ninja edit my above post but fail.
    Parks should be funded by tickets, camping permits, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Parks should be funded by tickets, camping permits, etc.
    <--If you don't know the history of the parks this is worth the 10m. There is better but the parks need to be there if you ask me. 5:10 1/2 the trees in America were gone at one point.

“A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCxf9eYWiaM <--If you don't know the history of the parks this is worth the 10m. There is better but the parks need to be there if you ask me. 5:10 1/2 the trees in America were gone at one point.

“A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”

Theodore Roosevelt
    I'll watch it when I have time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Government shutdown, does anyone even notice anything different?
    Patience. Government shutdown started, but impact will grow daily. This isn't the first shutdown rodeo the country has ridden.

The noise and tension will continue to grow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

It was law that black people were 3/5's of white people. Just because something is on the books doesn't make it right. Idiotic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

It was law that black people were 3/5's of white people. Just because something is on the books doesn't make it right. Idiotic.
    A T that time that was the law and people acted upon that. Not a law the USA should be too proud of imo.
    but it was the law. It was changed by the congres and house not by blackmailing the nation with shutdown because they did not like another governement law that just past.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    A T that time that was the law and people acted upon that. Not a law the USA should be too proud of imo.
    but it was the law. It was changed by the congres and house not by blackmailing the nation with shutdown because they did not like another governement law that just past.
    Government funding is another tool available to the congress to use just as the pocket veto is to the president.

The point stands that just because something is in the books does not make it right. To hell with Obamacare and this failure of a president. He just wants this for his legacy. His legacy isn't worth trillions of dollars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

@DavidV I see in the Netherlands there is a private, compulsory health insurance system, much like Obama-care. Except in cases of religious objection, everyone is required to purchase insurance. This of course helps spread the risk from the ill (those at the most risk) to the insurance pool at large, the fundamental idea of any type of insurance. Just like in America, the health insurance companies and hospital are largely private entities, with hospital being mostly non-profit. So it seems there are many similarities with the Dutch system and Obama-care.

How do you like the health insurance system in the Netherlands? Would you change anything about it? What is your take on what is happening in the United States right now concerning health insurance?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

My take on this is that any self respecting civilized country should have some sort of Healthcare system.
    The Netherlands came from a National health system where most had free healt and above a certain salary you had a mandatory private Insurance. That created class Healthcare.
    We abandoned that system not too long ago for a basic public Insurance equal for everyone, which everyone has to pay for, where everyone can, if they want, insure themselves extra for extra risks such as fysiotherapy, dental care, alternative medicine and what have you as an extra Insurance policy.

The USA has their priorities absolutely upside down. Your country spends more on military and how they want to dictate what's happening in the world than in taking care of their own inhabitants.
    That is downright bizar.

IMHO I think the USA, and especially the republican take on Healthcare is downright uncivilized.And highly egocentrical. Every man for himself and let everyone else go to hell.

A bold statement on a mostly republican forum, but there it is, my opinion.

And sure, Healthcare is mighty expensive. Here there are discussions also in how far you want to go in Healthcare spendings for elderly people, making Healthcare more efficient, cutting expensive medicine out of the standard budget, etc. Also taking into account people get older now than 20 years ago, and will get older still. And when getting older needing more care.

I see the USA going down the same path. Your Healthcare is so damn expensive that there needs to be a reorganization and rebudgetting for a lot of Healthcare before your Healthcare law becomes succesfull.

And accepting this governement funding blackmail as a viable political tool is beyond my comprehention.
    Your governement Always says they do not negotiate with hostage keepers, but apparently in politics they do.
    Negotiate with them once and they will do it again and again.
    Apparenty acceptable to a lot of AmericansClick here to enlarge

In the mean time saying there are no consequenses to the governement shutdown is also downright stupid.
    Besides reputation damage and a possible bankrupty which can cause financial waves globally there are numerous effects apparently not being known to the USA citicens. You should wonder why noone informs you about that. Maybe even be worried.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

The USA has their priorities absolutely upside down. Your country spends more on military and how they want to dictate what's happening in the world than in taking care of their own inhabitants.
    That is downright bizar.
    I don't see anything in the Constitution about free health care for everyone.

Every man for himself and let everyone else go to hell.
    What a cruel system nature set up.

In the mean time saying there are no consequenses to the governement shutdown is also downright stupid.
    Besides reputation damage and a possible bankrupty which can cause financial waves globally there are numerous effects apparently not being known to the USA citicens. You should wonder why noone informs you about that. Maybe even be worried.
    Non-essential government functions were cut everything necessary is still funded. Reputation damage? This isn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. I'm not sure if you understand that this is used as a bargaining tool. It forces negotiations. That's it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Lets cut giving foreign aid and look at our spending outside of the US before we start cutting anything internally...least that is my vote. Take care and make us the best possible place to live. Sorry rest of the world.
    Isnt the US the only country without public health care? Hardly the "best country in the world" Click here to enlarge

Dont get me wrong I think there is a lot that is great in the US, I visit regularly and would even consider moving there. But I can always send my kids back to some of the best universities for free education or move home if anyone would get a serious illness (like cancer). I wouldn't consider myself lucky being born in the US though (unless my parents are rich).

As far as the current issue in your government, isnt there a law that has been legislated following democratic process that are now blocked by some poor losers not getting their way? I rather think you have a working democracy even if you dont support Obama?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Isnt the US the only country without public health care? Hardly the "best country in the world"
    If you have the money you have the best health care in the world. What's so hard to understand?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Isnt the US the only country without public health care? Hardly the "best country in the world" Click here to enlarge

Dont get me wrong I think there is a lot that is great in the US, I visit regularly and would even consider moving there. But I can always send my kids back to some of the best universities for free education or move home if anyone would get a serious illness (like cancer). I wouldn't consider myself lucky being born in the US though (unless my parents are rich).

As far as the current issue in your government, isnt there a law that has been legislated following democratic process that are now blocked by some poor losers not getting their way? I rather think you have a working democracy even if you dont support Obama?
    In what country to do you have some of the best universities in the world that are free? Usually free and best quality don't go together, specifically education and healthcare...

"I wouldn't consider myself lucky being born in the US." Well I do, but I don't think I could explain it to anyone who didn't grow up here.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I build software for a living, and part of this software has functionality to determine risk based on location; since the NOAA and the weather service is not feeding us data, it affects one of our packages. So, yes - it affects me, but not too badly. I think this whole thing is a joke.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast