Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E60 M5 laps the ring at 7:52..?

Looking at some old articles and threads, looks like Hans-Joachim Stuck took the
    E60 M5 and ran 7:52,
    The link to the article isn't working, this was the
    link:
    http://www.rhein-main.net/sixcms/detail.php/1879435?topic_id=731907

I found a translated version of the article from back
    when:

Munich (fnp) the knight impact took place on the Nuerburgring.
    When the strongest BMW M5 of all times had orbited the north loop in only 7:52
    minutes, even Professor Burkhard Goeschel was a little baff. "that was a treat,
    a piece racing", claimed the BMW member of the board after the successful test
    of the new supersportsman. In the next spring he comes on the market. It is
    indeed a piece racing: Under the hood a strong ten-cylinder engine, which is
    manufactured in the BMW engine plant in Landshut, puts 507 HP, where also the
    Formel-1-engines for BMW-Williams is produced
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did a quick search and saw other sites also making the claim (one said that it was a de-limited m5... Im not quite sure what that means other than top speed gov removal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M5 -I know it's Wikipedia but still has some relevance). Anyway according to this the f10 did it in 7.55 http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...han-E46-M3-CSL
    on the street I would say the f10 is a faster car, but on the track it appears the e60 is still superior

Edit** http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m5_e60.html here the e60 has a slower nurburgring time (but that may be irrelevant now) but is faster on other tracks as compared to the f10 http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m5_f10.html
    Last edited by G0TB00ST?; 11-21-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The original time E60 M5 of 8:13 was done by a magazine sportauto not an official BMW time, and supposedly was done on a pre production M5 on conti tires in 2004. This car supposedly didn't have final ecu changes and DSC tuning. A lot of different info online.

I have to say the article above sound pretty good, esp if a german newspaper is reporting and quoting bmw M guys.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know this isn't meant to be an e60 vs f10 thread but after comparing laptimes the e60 seems like the better performance deal. It's significantly cheaper and with the money saved an evolve tune, exhaust,and few other things you have a totally different beast that doesn't over heat and go into limp mode... Or you could just say fvck it and go FI and still make more consistent hp/tq figures than the f10 (which clealy doesn't like hot weather or several extended runs at WOT)
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    I know this isn't meant to be an e60 vs f10 thread but after comparing laptimes the e60 seems like the better performance deal. It's significantly cheaper and with the money saved an evolve tune, exhaust,and few other things you have a totally different beast that doesn't over heat and go into limp mode... Or you could just say fvck it and go FI and still make more consistent hp/tq figures than the f10 (which clealy doesn't like hot weather or several extended runs at WOT)
    Looks like this article is legit and the time was set by Hans Joachim Stuck racing driver... The article was written by a german news agency.

Full translated article can be found here:
    http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...=25#post628977

The most common time seen for the E60 M5 is a pre production M5 that was top speed limited by a magazine sport auto. 8:13..

Even BMW's test driver bernd limmer (BMW suspension engineer) in 2005 said that they have lapped the M5 at 8:08... on conti tire, speed limited and a pre production version aswell.

Article here:
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/50711-evo-article-m5-m6-talks-richter-limmer-2.html

The F10 M5 like every FI engine, will suffer from heatsoak and high IAT's.
    Evolve F10 M5 back to back dyno runs show this perfectly, I can only imagine the powerloss and high IATs of the F10 M5 mid way through the nurburgring!
    Along with extra weight compared to the F10, I can see some slower times.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To add to this, sport autos e60 m5 time was done in comfort mode (not sport).. And like I mentioned a pre production not finished tuned E60 M5 (Not matured, how they stated it)
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Comparing post production to post production. Lightning lap times shows the f10 being significantly faster. The m6 was 5 seconds faster over the e63 as well. The f10 is most definitely the faster car of the two.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Comparing post production to post production. Lightning lap times shows the f10 being significantly faster. The m6 was 5 seconds faster over the e63 as well. The f10 is most definitely the faster car of the two.
    Are you speaking of of C&D lightning laps?

I don't doubt it is...IT may run faster then a 7:55 around the ring..

But I find it very amazing that BMW ran a 7:52 in 2004 with the E60 M5!
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Are you speaking of of C&D lightning laps?

I don't doubt it is...IT may run faster then a 7:55 around the ring..

But I find it very amazing that BMW ran a 7:52 in 2004 with the E60 M5!
    yes.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yes.
    The only V10 M i found on a lighting lap was a 2006 M6 which ran i believe a 3:10 and the F10 a 3:05... But thats about 6 years+ apart, the track and drivers im sure have changed, and 06 the M6 i believe ran on conti tires -__- (devils advocate of course) But 5 seconds isnt bad at all, all things considered!

Here is the original article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060629...opic_id=731907

"Munich (fnp) The dubbing took place at the Nurburgring. As the most powerful BMW M5 ever had orbited the Nordschleife in just 7:52 minutes, even Prof. Burkhard Göschel was a little flabbergasted. "That was a treat, a piece of racing," raved the BMW board member after the successful test of the new super sports car"
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only V10 M i found on a lighting lap was a 2006 M6 which ran i believe a 3:10 and the F10 a 3:05... But thats about 6 years+ apart, the track and drivers im sure have changed, and 06 the M6 i believe ran on conti tires -__- (devils advocate of course) But 5 seconds isnt bad at all, all things considered!

Here is the original article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060629...opic_id=731907

"Munich (fnp) The dubbing took place at the Nurburgring. As the most powerful BMW M5 ever had orbited the Nordschleife in just 7:52 minutes, even Prof. Burkhard Göschel was a little flabbergasted. "That was a treat, a piece of racing," raved the BMW board member after the successful test of the new super sports car"

The drivers are extremely consistent. This shows in the M3's lap times. 3:05.6 one year and 3:05.4 the next. All things considered its a valid argument. If the track changed drastically it would have been noted I'm sure; I have every magazine minus the 06 test which features the lightning lap, read them religiously, and no track changes have been mentioned.

edit* I think one year either the oak tree or $#@! turn there was a change. Don't remember 100%, but it did not mention any drastic improvements in lap times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The drivers are extremely consistent. This shows in the M3's lap times. 3:05.6 one year and 3:05.4 the next. All things considered its a valid argument. If the track changed drastically it would have been noted I'm sure; I have every magazine minus the 06 test which features the lightning lap, read them religiously, and no track changes have been mentioned.

edit* I think one year either the oak tree or $#@! turn there was a change. Don't remember 100%, but it did not mention any drastic improvements in lap times.
    Wish there was an more up to date 09-10 M5 used for these lighting laps! unfortunate.

But I still find it interesting bmw was able to pull of such a fantastic time on the ring with the E60 at the time...

ON the F10 and E60 argument.
    On long track like the nurburgring, im sure extra weight on the F10 takes a toll on the tires, and heatsoak on the FI engine starts to set in, on some nice power loss midway through the track.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wish there was an more up to date 09-10 M5 used for these lighting laps! unfortunate.

But I still find it interesting bmw was able to pull of such a fantastic time on the ring with the E60 at the time...

ON the F10 and E60 argument.
    On long track like the nurburgring, im sure extra weight on the F10 takes a toll on the tires, and heatsoak on the FI engine starts to set in, on some nice power loss midway through the track.
    Great point. Heat soak after 7 minutes of full throttle will definitely take its toll. I don't think it was fair for them to use 5 different Corvettes, 2 Z06's, 2 ZR1's and a Grand Sport. Nor do I think it was fair that they used 2 different GTR's without even considering other cars which have had significant upgrades as well.