Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Advice needed. How to properly race my 14' E550 4-Matc

Just got my new E550. Black on black, my first MB after nothing but american cars. Iam in love Click here to enlarge
    From a stop , do you guys put the car in SPORT mode, stall up and just go ?
    What rpm you launch the car at ? Also should I be shifting with the paddle shifters or just let the car shift by itself?
    I noticed with the paddle shifters I can take it up to 6200 and when shifting by itself the car shifts at 6000. Is there not much power after 6000 rpm?
    What about racing from a roll ? Faster by shifting the paddle shifters or letting car shift by itself?

Thanks Guys, appreciate it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First of all, congrats on your E550.

You will be limited in your launch rpm by your stall. Simply hold it as far as it will let you and let her rip.

I would let the car shift by itself as this ensures a shift at redline. That extra 200 rpm you have to time probably doesn't do much as the power is already dropping off hard as the turbos are running out of steam.

From a roll I'd say the same thing.

To ensure victory, get a tune...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    First of all, congrats on your E550.

You will be limited in your launch rpm by your stall. Simply hold it as far as it will let you and let her rip.

I would let the car shift by itself as this ensures a shift at redline. That extra 200 rpm you have to time probably doesn't do much as the power is already dropping off hard as the turbos are running out of steam.

From a roll I'd say the same thing.

To ensure victory, get a tune...
    Thanks Brother...This works for me =)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roll racer Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Brother...This works for me =)
    My brother inlaw has a 2013 cls550 4 matic so basically same car. He took it to the drag strip to figure out the car and how it reacts to different inputs. He saw that when stalling/ power braking the car on launch the torque management kicked in and the car bogged. He got the best time by simply being in sport mode and not power braking he just floored it when the light turned green. Best time 12.8 @ 111 bone stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    My brother inlaw has a 2013 cls550 4 matic so basically same car. He took it to the drag strip to figure out the car and how it reacts to different inputs. He saw that when stalling/ power braking the car on launch the torque management kicked in and the car bogged. He got the best time by simply being in sport mode and not power braking he just floored it when the light turned green. Best time 12.8 @ 111 bone stock
    Would a tune eliminate that torque limit? I think Renntech mentioned something about that?
    @m54b25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Would a tune eliminate that torque limit? I think Renntech mentioned something about that?
    @m54b25
    This feature it's only reserved for RS (renn/race start launch). While not using RS, by pressing the pedal accelerator + brake control at the same time, ETC input will be delayed or disabled. It's a prevention feature, but this can be enabled for left foot braking controlled launch... it's something not much requested by 500/550 biturbo owners thou.

On the other hand, you can do off idle launch without the need of left foot braking + pedal accelerator, and will not have ETC delayed/disable during launch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes , I did notice when I tried to stall her up she would bog. Wasent really AWD launch so to speak. I think just going off idle is a great idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    This feature it's only reserved for RS (renn/race start launch). While not using RS, by pressing the pedal accelerator + brake control at the same time, ETC input will be delayed or disabled. It's a prevention feature, but this can be enabled for left foot braking controlled launch... it's something not much requested by 500/550 biturbo owners thou.

On the other hand, you can do off idle launch without the need of left foot braking + pedal accelerator, and will not have ETC delayed/disable during launch.
    Good info: Thanks!