Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think you guys need a time out or to put each other on ignore!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Your posts #17 and #20 prove you to be an uninformed idiot. You said you wondered why he couldn't break 200mph in his SLS BS. @Sticky then informed you the SLS BS had a shorter final drive ratio and you said, "That's true". LOL, how the hell does that prove anything other than you lack of knowledge on the subject ??

So why don't you stick to the subject and explain to us all how you change the final drive ratio of a car with just a tune ??? You can't, because the only way to change the gear ratio is to change the GEARS you $#@!ing moron.
    AHAHAAHHAHAH

And your going to do that without a tune?

Keep displaying what an ultimate idiot you are to everybodyClick here to enlarge

You need to also change the positioning of the gears in the tranny when changing the drive ratio, that's a basic in transmission assembly.

What a clown LOL
    World Fastest (NA) SLS AMG in a Standing 1/2 Mile
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Qatar Mile- NOV, 30th 2013
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Why do you keep sidestepping the question? Tell us all how you change gear ratios with a tune, because that's what YOU said.
    You don't need a "tune" to change gear ratios you fool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    By swapping the ratios you're defeating the purpose of the B/S,it's not meant to be 200MPH car!!
    P.S
    LZH,it was done and still being done to the cls55 when installing the SLR trans TCU,retuning it to accept the new(stock) ratios of the CLS55.hope this helps

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cturbos Click here to enlarge
    By swapping the ratios you're defeating the purpose of the B/S,it's not meant to be 200MPH car!!
    P.S
    LZH,it was done and still being done to the cls55 when installing the SLR trans TCU,retuning it to accept the new(stock) ratios of the CLS55.hope this helps
    +63
    now here is someone that understands AMG transmissions
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly

P.S
    I'm aware of this mod, however that is far from just a "tune" as SLS first suggested nor does it change the final drive ratio. Not to mention no one has done it to the Getrag DCT in the SLS and comparing that transmission to the old 5 speed 722.6 is hardly and apples to apples comparison. But since all @SLS AMG has ever done is roll on racing I can understand how he would suggest something as stupid as changing the gearing on the SLS BS simply for bragging rights of going over 200mph.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigb00st Click here to enlarge
    I think you guys need a time out or to put each other on ignore!!
    I think you're right. It's time to start removing people from threads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    I went 340 km/hr ~ 210mph with mine...Not sure why you cant with yours since you have the BS? can you tune your tranny for higher ratio to pick up more speed up top?
    I am still trying to understand how you can tune your tranny for higher ratio as you said? Unless you mean adjusting shifting parameters and rev limit, how in the hell can you change the gearing ratio in the box with a tune?? Is there spare components in the box that allow you to adjust the ratio? Please explain? Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RNS-11Z Click here to enlarge
    I am still trying to understand how you can tune your tranny for higher ratio as you said? Unless you mean adjusting shifting parameters and rev limit, how in the hell can you change the gearing ratio in the box with a tune?? Is there spare components in the box that allow you to adjust the ratio? Please explain? Thanks
    As we all know you obviously can't change a fixed mechanical component's design with software.

To change the gearing you need to change the gears. You can't relocate, reposition, or whatever, the physical gear needs to be changed. Then you may need to do software changes although when I changed the final drive in my M3 no software change was necessary. On an E46 M3 a software change is necessary when changing the final drive for the automatic shift modes in the SMG (not the manual modes and I don't why a manual car would need a software change) as they are based on MPH and not RPM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RNS-11Z Click here to enlarge
    Don't bother trying to understand something that makes no sense whatsoever. As @Sticky said, you cannot change the physical gears with software.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    As we all know you obviously can't change a fixed mechanical component's design with software.
    Seems there is one person here who doesn't know that.

To change the gearing you need to change the gears. You can't relocate, reposition, or whatever, the physical gear needs to be changed. Then you may need to do software changes although when I changed the final drive in my M3 no software change was necessary. On an E46 M3 a software change is necessary when changing the final drive for the automatic shift modes in the SMG (not the manual modes and I don't why a manual car would need a software change) as they are based on MPH and not RPM.
    +63
    now here is someone that understands AMG transmissions

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you're right. It's time to start removing people from threads.
    I think he's right, too. And while you are at it, make sure you go back and read post #22 where I was called a "moron" for asking a question...NICELY. And apparently, based on your post #34 , a very valid question since you've agreed with everything I've said. Or, are you in the business of perpetuating misinformation that is technically incorrect ?
    Once again, Joesph....address the problem and not those who respond to it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i never said software changes a fixed mechanical component in the tranny. I stated when changing the gear ratio you need to have a recognized software in the TCU

Then you may need to do software changes although when I changed the final drive in my M3 no software change was necessary. On an E46 M3 a software change is necessary when changing the final drive for the automatic shift.
    Isnt that what I was saying??? A software tune is needed for the new drive ratio!
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Isnt that what I was saying??? A software tune is needed for the new drive ratio!
    Well you wrote can't you tune the tranny for a higher ratio implying changing the ratio with software which is impossible. All you can do is raise the redline really for more MPH but what one really needs to do is a physical gear change.

As stated, you don't necessarily need a new software tune as I doubt the AMG software is designed to shift at a MPH versus at an RPM point as that would mean changing rims/tires would be enough to change the final drive and the shift points.

So, you likely do not need software but I mentioned the E46 m3 because it is completely application dependent and I can give countering examples. For the most part though, you don't need to tune for a final drive change.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well you wrote can't you tune the tranny for a higher ratio implying changing the ratio with software which is impossible.
    No I didn't and I mentioned that in a later post. I implied a software is needed for changing the drive ratio.

Please check your PM
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No I didn't and I mentioned that in a later post. I implied a software is needed for changing the drive ratio.

Please check your PM
    Um, yeah...you did.

I went 340 km/hr ~ 210mph with mine...Not sure why you cant with yours since you have the BS? can you tune your tranny for higher ratio to pick up more speed up top?
    If you had asked. "Can you tune your tranny for more top end speed" then that might have made sense. But you mentioned the word "RATIO", which makes no sense whatsoever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Um, yeah...you did.

If you had asked. "Can you tune your tranny for more top end speed" then that might have made sense. But you mentioned the word "RATIO", which makes no sense whatsoever.
    Well I think you understand exactly what I meant!

drive ratio can not be changed in an AMG without a software change in the TCU
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think this is necessarily accurate. It depends on the application.

For something like an SLS which is rear wheel drive I do not see why you could not change the final drive. What would need to be changed in the TCU and why?

Usually it's an ECU change if anything to address RPM concerns when downshifting and the car might think you are at a different MPH so you could overrev potentially. With modern ECU's this is all calculated on the fly so really it doesn't matter.

Changing a final drive doesn't affect anything inside the transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well I think you understand exactly what I meant!

dude I don't understand about half of what you post, and again, you are wrong about ratio changes needing software changes as @Sticky pointed out. Every application is different and since the SLS DCT is being discussed here where no one has made a ratio change your comments are way off base.
    Last edited by LZH; 01-13-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Actually you are all kinda right and wrong. The SLS BS does indeed have a shorter final drive than an SLS or SLS GT, Sticky is 100%. However top speed is not limited by the final drive it is limited by aero drag. My brother recently drove my SLS BS from Dallas to California to get it out there for the Optima event and he got the car going 212 and it was still pulling hard he said but he was coming up on traffic and had to get out of the gas. Keep in mind when I could not break 200 I was just running an ECU tune, now I have the stage 3 which is making almost 200hp more than stock. Based on some rough calculations I suspect the car can go 219-221mph. If I pulled the wing off the back I bet is goes 230mph
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12