Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Need advice and opinions.

Okay to make a long story short, my wife recently had her car keyed by neighbors kids, so we got this guy with a small shop to repaint her car (he had a great price) He told us 7-10 days and the car will be finished. We dropped it off waited 10 days to call him back to check on it and he tells us wait til tomorrow we wait and call and he tells us wait til tomorrow again, this went on for 3 weeks I went up to his shop to find that the car had no paint on it at all. I told him I was giving him 3 more days max. So I go back 3 days later and the car is painted but not put back together. So of course he tells me give me one more day. 2 days go by I go pick the car up he hasn't cleaned it or buffed it yet and tries to tell me to give him another day which at this point I tell him no I want to just take the car home as is. I get the car home and there is over 561 miles on the CAR!! I paid him 70% up front by check when I dropped the car off and gave him the rest of the check when I picked up the car. I also noticed there where drips in the paint in some areas. I just put a hold on the check now with the bank what do you guys recommend? I think this guy took the car to out of town somewhere but I have no clue where.
    Last edited by Linracing; 03-06-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Okay to make a long story short, my wife recently had her car keyed by neighbors kids, so we got this guy with a small shop to repaint her car (he had a great price) He told us 7-10 days and the car will be finished. We dropped it off waited 10 days to call him back to check on it and he tells us wait til tomorrow we wait and call and he tells us wait til tomorrow again, this went on for 3 weeks I went up to his shop to find that the car had no paint on it at all. I told him I was giving him 3 more days max. So I go back 3 days later and the car is painted but not put back together. So of course he tells me give me one more day. 2 days go by I go pick the car up he hasn't cleaned it or buffed it yet and tries to tell me to give him another day which at this point I tell him no I want to just take the car home as is. I get the car home and there is over 561 miles on the CAR!! I paid him 70% up front by check when I dropped the car off and gave him the rest of the check when I picked up the car. I also noticed there where drips in the paint in some areas. I just put a hold on the check now with the bank what do you guys recommend? I think this guy took the car to out of town somewhere but I have no clue where.

Holy cow man, very frustrating.

Honestly it's going to be a lot of headache for little gain. Best advice I could give from my experience is chalk it up as a loss, let a shop with some favorable reviews know your situation and hope they give you a bid with some empathy.

If you want to deal with the headache, see what you have has far as documentation. Any way to prove mileage when dropped off and picked up? Take photos asap and time stamp them of how the car looked when you picked it up and hopefully he gave you some sort of written bid with a drop off date on it and even better if he put a completion date on the paperwork. Get any and all documentation you can get together and head over to small claims. They will inform you on how to proceed from there.

Best of luck man.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're going to spend your valuable time trying to resolve this and being angry the entire time. No win situation.
    Be calm, contact the shop, have them agree to waiving the 30% still owed, get it in writing via email or zeroed out invoice and move on. That's a win. If they're dicks about it and won't agree to this then there's a couple ways to move forward. Wait for them to initiate a claim with whatever documentation they have or move forward with a claim yourself.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1. Stay calm.
    Talk to a professional polisher to see if he can polish the drips out and to what cost.
    Discuss that amount with the paint shop to see if they are willing to pay for that, maybe out of the 30%, and some fee for the 500+ miles they used the car for.

There is no use dragging this on for months. It will bug you the whole time this drags on.
    Just make sure the paint comes out great and you get some compensation, and move on.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Check on your car every day no matter who is working on your car. That is a lot of investment in your jewel and you want it done right. There is no short cut for eyes on. 10 days was a long time if you weren't seeing progress acceptable to you. Everyone is right, this won't be smooth!

Good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unless you have concrete evidence, it's gonna be hard to prove he put all that unnecessary mileage on the car. I def feel for you though and that it went from a bad situations to a $#@! storm. Hope it gets resolved peacefully.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Shiiiittt man... well I'd be livid but what a shady douchebag. Of course put the check on hold.

There isn't too much you can do unless you have proof of mileage going into it. This is why I'm fall for a device that tracks if your car is driven while under maintenance or when getting detailed or whatever. Something that plugs into the OBD-II port and won't let the car even start unless it's connected.

Anyway, I'm not too sure what you can do here other than put him on blast everywhere on the internet possible and file a complaint with the BBB. If my car had an extra 561 miles on it... oh man. He clearly used your car as transportation in the time it was there.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys, yes I am pretty pissed he even tried to tell me that he didn't put the miles on the car. But luckily I took pictures of the miles prior to drop off with a time stamp on it and miles when the car was picked up with timestamp. Came out to 561 total miles. I told him we will not be getting his money and he text me today and said "okay" He is now out of $600 bucks because he wanted to waste my time and put a hell of a lot of miles the car. The car actually looks damn good too, now that I cleaned and detailed it! Also he must of hit a curb because there is now a big ass bubble in the front passenger tire. I got a grip of information on him, I ran his record he has (3) DUI's and evading peace officer, He is also on court probation and has no LICENCE! I even found him on facebook. lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys, yes I am pretty pissed he even tried to tell me that he didn't put the miles on the car. But luckily I took pictures of the miles prior to drop off with a time stamp on it and miles when the car was picked up with timestamp. Came out to 561 total miles. I told him we will not be getting his money and he text me today and said "okay" He is now out of $600 bucks because he wanted to waste my time and put a hell of a lot of miles the car. The car actually looks damn good too, now that I cleaned and detailed it! Also he must of hit a curb because there is now a big ass bubble in the front passenger tire. I got a grip of information on him, I ran his record he has (3) DUI's and evading peace officer, He is also on court probation and has no LICENCE! I even found him on facebook. lol
    You have some good info to go on if you want to pursue this but damn where did you find this shop in the first place lol.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why on earth did you take your car to this place?
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well he had great prices and my best friend just recently got his car repaired and painted from the same guy and it only took 10 days and he had a suv. My wife has a sedan. His suv looked great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well he had great prices and my best friend just recently got his car repaired and painted from the same guy and it only took 10 days and he had a suv. My wife has a sedan. His suv looked great.
    Contact BBB, they'll contact him directly etc. $#@! like that isn't too hard to get by if you have all your information set which to me sounds like you do.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    do us a favor and put 2 in his head. Im joking, I would check and make sure everything is still mechanically sound and if not maybe your insurance can help out.
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Check out small claims court.... it is ideal for this sort of thing..... doesn't require a lawyer... my missus has had to use it a few times when boutiques and reps have bounced checks or otherwise effed her over...
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    also, document and take pics of everything (even post the problem) as it will give credence to your story if were to go further and/or if he gets nasty over the $600 (I doubt he will but you never know)
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge