Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Felt this was appropriate.
    11.76 @ 124 (123.9) full weight e92 335i, street tires, no meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Edited to delete your duplicate attachment.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you sir!
    11.76 @ 124 (123.9) full weight e92 335i, street tires, no meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Right now America is winning and Europe is losing. And I don't feel bad at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    eh i just really underestimated the z/28 because i've driven a relative's SS camaro (loved every second of it btw) and it just did not scream versatile to me. wasn't aware of the suspension lol whoops, my mistake.

i'm happy for american car companies raising the bar Click here to enlarge
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll still take a GT3 over any of them, and gladly pay the premium. I actually really do like the Z/28, but its just not my style. I respect the hell out of it though. And it looks badass too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

i wasnt informed well enough on this car... pretty impressive.. but some coils and tune on the gtr throw the gtr out ahead rather easily but def impressive
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    but some coils and tune on the gtr throw the gtr out ahead rather easily but def impressive
    Then you throw a tune and a cam in the Z28... the LS7 is going to make power and a lot of it at that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting outcome! Finally a car which might make Porsche think again about the direction their cars have taken. I'm not a fan at all of the new GT3 as it misses the raw track spirit of the previous generations. Not even talking about the ridiculous price tag.

I'll admit I didn't expect that kick in the butt coming from the west. At least not before the Stingray Z06 would surface.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm not a fan at all of the new GT3 as it misses the raw track spirit of the previous generations.
    The main thing IMO it is missing is the race derived motor. Porsche is paying for this. I wouldn't say the car is not raw though. It is.

As raw as the 997 GT3 RS 4.0? No. But still raw.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    I'll admit I didn't expect that kick in the butt coming from the west. At least not before the Stingray Z06 would surface.
    I think even the Z51 stingray would have done pretty well here. It's lighter than all of these cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why no way? 305 R compounds all around. Superior suspension. No turbo lag.

The Camaro once moving isn't giving up much of anything at speed the LS7 is a beast of a motor with a flatter curve AND it revs higher than either of these. When an M beats more powerful competition you guys don't act like this.

The Camaro is lightened with a wider track. The Corvette will do even better than this. Do you guys not understand what the Z28 is?
    ^This.
    Good racing compound tires, top of the line suspension, wide track, a decent motor, and throwing in Carbon brakes makes this a pretty nice track car and really tough to beat.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Right now America is winning and Europe is losing.
    Click here to enlarge You know the car to beat was the GT-R, right? FYI Japan is not in Europe.

The comparisen would have been more fair (on a tracktest) if all cars would have been on R-compound, but I do see why they tested the cars as Out Of The Box Experiences.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    You know the car to beat was the GT-R, right? FYI Japan is not in Europe.
    That's not exactly it. It isn't about a single car. The upcoming CTS-V is gunning for the E63 / M5 etc.

The Americans are firing on all fronts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's not exactly it. It isn't about a single car. The upcoming CTS-V is gunning for the E63 / M5 etc.

The Americans are firing on all fronts.
    This is true for the USA market I believe.
    Here in Europe (the Netherlands at least, can't speak for all European tax systems on cars) an American muscle car is just not worth the money at all.
    With the CO2 taxes here these care cost way way beyond what they're worth.
    A normal Camaro here is over $150,000.-
    Nobody buys them here, at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    This is true for the USA market I believe.
    Here in Europe (the Netherlands at least, can't speak for all European tax systems on cars) an American muscle car is just not worth the money at all.
    With the CO2 taxes here these care cost way way beyond what they're worth.
    A normal Camaro here is over $150,000.-
    Nobody buys them here, at all.
    That sucks...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is why all European cars and manufacturers that export cars to Europe are going Turbo, even for the smallest engines.
    This reduces the CO2, and as a result makes the cars cheaper.

Also, the EU demands for the average CO2 allowance for car manufacturers is getting ridiculous within the next 6 years.
    Expect much next generation performance cars to follow the Mc Laren P1 and Porsche 918 route to make hybrids.
    These cars are the role models and must massage every petrol head's mind into believing they want a hybrid for their next performance car.
    BMW is leading this "low end supercar" with their i8. It could become a bigger hit than everyone imagined last year.
    The new generation M5 is already way cheaper then the old V10 was, only due to a smaller CO2 tax.

The costs of developing and implementing performance hybrid systems will come down, and (European) car manufacturers will be forced to implement these systems due to regulation restrictions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am a bit surprised - I know it's not all about straight-line speed, but something doesn't seem right with some of the numbers. Look at the 0-100 MPH (0-160 km/h):

0-100:

Z/28 9.0s
    GT-R 6.9s (a full 2.1 seconds quicker)
    911 6.8s (2.2s quicker)

The 1/4 mile pretty much keeps up with this same result - albeit having a bit higher weight, and a lesser power to weight ratio, the Z/28 seems like it's making everything up in the corners/braking.

I guess the suspension is probably setup as a complete race-car, and not a streetable car? That's the only thing I can think of for the win. I don't understand how else this is possible. It's a MUCH slower accelerating car, but must handle leap years better than the others?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I am a bit surprised - I know it's not all about straight-line speed, but something doesn't seem right with some of the numbers. Look at the 0-100 MPH (0-160 km/h):

0-100:

Z/28 9.0s
    911 6.8s (2.2s quicker)

The 1/4 mile pretty much keeps up with this same result - albeit having a bit higher weight, and a lesser power to weight ratio, the Z/28 seems like it's making everything up in the corners/braking.

I guess the suspension is probably setup as a complete race-car, and not a streetable car? That's the only thing I can think of for the win. I don't understand how else this is possible. It's a MUCH slower accelerating car, but must handle leap years better than the others?
    thats what i based my initial comment off of... thats a lot of power lost in the straights. But i guess the suspension is incredible...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys must be new to the road course thing.... this isn't a drag race from one turn to the next. I've seen 120hp spec miatas, that would be lucky to run a 15 second 1/4, lap 600hp street cars all day without breaking sweat. The key is maintaining your speed through the turn and coming out fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    thats what i based my initial comment off of... thats a lot of power lost in the straights. But i guess the suspension is incredible...
    Read up on the Multimatic DSSV dampers the Z/28 is using. They really are a big step forward in damping technology, take a look at the list of professional racecars using this exact same type of damper (I'll give you a hint, it's been dominating Formula 1, Le Mans, Indy, etc. for the past few years). Simply put, Multimatic's dampers allow the engineers to separately set compression and rebound for low and high speed forces. You can set the car to be very stiff to keep it flat through corners and resist dive/squat under braking/acceleration while still allowing it to absorb bumps very well. This isn't an entirely new concept but it happens to be a very competitive application of digressive damping. There are only two street cars right now that have Multimatic DSSV dampers, the Camaro Z/28 and the million dollar Aston Martin One-77.

The hi/low speed compression and rebound being individually adjustable is key to making full use of those giant, sticky tires. A traditional spring/damper combo that was stiff enough to take advantage of the grip those tires generate would be insane for a street car.

I can't wait to see what this type of suspension can do in the C7 Z06.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

0-100:

Z/28 9.0s
    911 6.8s (2.2s quicker)

It's not to hard to understand the 0-100 advantage is partially traction based. If you saw the 100-150 numbers they would tell a bit of a different story I think.

It's still a street car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not to hard to understand the 0-100 advantage is partially traction based. If you saw the 100-150 numbers they would tell a bit of a different story I think.

It's still a street car.

It's gotta be, otherwise it just doesn't add up. Not a chance that Z is that "slow" - either that, or they got a lemon to test with (doubtful)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    You guys must be new to the road course thing.... this isn't a drag race from one turn to the next. I've seen 120hp spec miatas, that would be lucky to run a 15 second 1/4, lap 600hp street cars all day without breaking sweat. The key is maintaining your speed through the turn and coming out fast.
    No, not new at all - the numbers are just super far apart, and similar weighted cars - that's all that is meant. If those numbers tell the whole story (doubtful) - all that I am saying is the Z handles incredibly well for a street car. Going against two all-wheel drive - that are MUCH faster in the straights (off these numbers) with torque vectoring? Doesn't make sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, not new at all - the numbers are just super far apart, and similar weighted cars - that's all that is meant. If those numbers tell the whole story (doubtful) - all that I am saying is the Z handles incredibly well for a street car. Going against two all-wheel drive - that are MUCH faster in the straights (off these numbers) with torque vectoring? Doesn't make sense.
    It's making it all up in the turns and transitions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's making it all up in the turns and transitions.
    For some reason, I really want to try this car out. Not sure if it's all the marketing that GM has been doing, or this article or what - but I really want to try one... In other words, GM has said nothing but this car is going to be amazing, and I want to see for myself. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Well, you quoted the gap in 0 - 100 times as your reasoning for why this time is hard to believe....

Number of times "0 - anything" comes into play on a road course: Zero.

One thing I would be curious to know: Given the tuneability of the Z28's dampers, did GM have an engineer at the track who dialed it in while leaving the other cars running their off the shelf settings? I'd bet 'yes' if there were money on the line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast