Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Discuss your vehicles and explain why you chose them and how you afford them.

Figure this will be a fun an interesting thread. It's real simple, list the vehicles you own and why you chose them in particular. Also, what does everyone do for a living to afford the hobby? I'll go first.

2014 Jaguar XJL Supercharged. I wanted a bigger vehicle to haul the wife and kid, I wanted luxury, some amount of exclusivity, and power. It suits all my needs and isn't a common car.

2011 BMW 1M. I was originally considering hunting a SLS AMG or something of the like, but when I seen the beautiful VO 1M for sale locally I bought it on spot. I wanted a fun weekend car with a twist and this is perfect. The handling is superb and the chassis is amazing, plus the fuel economy is tits. Also, I have a rare car most can't have and that's kind of cool too.

2007 BMW M6. S85, that's the point lol. It's a big car that handles very well, the sound, the high RPM capability, the SMG set in D6 mode.... it's tantalizing. I bought it just because I've always wanted one.

1991 Plymouth Laser RS. I've been into DSMS for life and I'm the expert lol. I've had tons of AWD builds and decided to go FWD for a highway beast. I also wanted to prove how cheaply they can reliably be built. Point proven lol.

Before enlisting in the Marines I was a fabricator and a BMW parts guy for an excellent company that I won't divulge simply because. I left there at great terms because was I due to ship out to recruit training soon and did. Now I'm a Infantry Marine and my wife is an electrical engineer.
    That's me.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Did you get rid of your 425i Twin Turbo?

^^^^Great rides btw and thanks for your service.

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2008 E92 335i 6 speed. I had always wanted one since they first came out. One day I decided I was going to get a fun car and this was the only car I could think of. I wanted speed, luxury, and a good looking car for a reasonable amount of money. I also liked how easy they were to make good power for small amount of money (tune, bolt ons, E85)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi. Needed a "momma mobile" for the wife and something to pull our 24ft pontoon. Loved the air suspension, V8, and overall luxury of the vehicle.

That's all I got!

Oh and I work as a Sales Manager at a Yamaha, Arctic Cat and Polaris Dealership. Have been there about 9.5 years. My wife is a middle school teacher.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Did you get rid of your 425i Twin Turbo?
    ^^^^Great rides btw and thanks for your service.

-Rich
    Thank you very much sir. Unfortunately I did when I relocated to NC. I didn't have space anymore and these were my priorities above all I guess. I just picked up the 1M yesterday though.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    2008 E92 335i 6 speed. I had always wanted one since they first came out. One day I decided I was going to get a fun car and this was the only car I could think of. I wanted speed, luxury, and a good looking car for a reasonable amount of money. I also liked how easy they were to make good power for small amount of money (tune, bolt ons, E85)

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi. Needed a "momma mobile" for the wife and something to pull our 24ft pontoon. Loved the air suspension, V8, and overall luxury of the vehicle.

That's all I got!
    Great rides! I enjoy the 335s a lot myself
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2010 335i. This is my third BMW - one E46 and two E90s. Even though I live in Colorado, I've always had RWD BMWs. I prefer to buy CPO, so I had to go to Texas to get a RWD 2010 (N54 FTW) with the options I wanted. I've strayed from BMW a few times, but in the end keep coming back.

2006 FFRR. We've had this for over five years now - the longest we've ever owned a car. My wife loves it, and while I'd prefer to get something with 7 seats, happy wife, happy life. She'd only let me trade for another Range Rover. I'm not willing to spring for the latest generation, so we'll be driving this one for a while. Fortunately, it's been amazingly reliable (knock on wood).

1969 Opel GT - 1.9L, 4-speed manual. My very first car. My Dad and I restored it together. Such a fun car. It's been in storage for over 15 years and hasn't been started in over 10. Some day I hope to restore it again with my son. Maybe even slip an E30/E36 M3 drivetrain in it Click here to enlarge Just need more time/money.

2002 Audi TT ALMS Edition. Misano Red. 1 of only 500 in the US. 52k original miles. Pristine condition. Technically I sold this to my parents when my son was on the way. I was going to trade it in to get something more practical, and my Dad didn't want to see it go, so they gave me what I was getting on it for trade. Mainly sits in a heated garage with a battery tender on it. Gets driven every other month or so. Turns heads wherever it goes.

I'm an electrical engineer, but don't do any real engineering now (Masters in Finance FTW). My wife stays home with our kiddos. I love our kids and wouldn't trade them for anything, but without a doubt, my wife has the tougher job.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

2004 BMW 330Ci M-Sport Cab - my first car. NFS Most Wanted's M3 GTR made me fall in love with BMWs, in particular the E46. i got my first 10k for a down payment a month before my 16th birthday, and i was in the market for an M3. my dad advised me against it though because of the high maintenance, there was no way i could afford it. then one day he showed me this beautiful, cleeaaaaannnnnnn 2004 330 vert, had all the options. space gray on black interior with brushed aluminum trim. oh man. i fell in love right on the spot. i gave my dad my savings and had the car financed in his name (but i paid for everything), and man what a car. to this day i love that car and i used to drive it hard, and it was my DD. kept up maintenance and never once had an issue. plus convertible! car has 46k on the ODO at the moment. still stock and completely original, and car is paid off.

2007 BMW M6 vert - bought the car july of last year. this time i'm financing the car in my name with my dad as a cosigner. at this time i was actually in the market for a 650i vert. i love my 3 but it's not an M3, and i need a big car. with all the hard work i've been putting, i needed something to enjoy. so i went to the dealer and saw a space gray 2008 650 convertible i was going to buy, but then sales guy pulls me to the side and tells me the story on this 2007 M6 vert 6MT (holy $#@! a manual M6 convertible) in Sapphire Black and Portland Brown (holy $#@!!!!!), one owner, perfectly maintained, no warranty. then he shows me the service record. man the story this guy told me. apparently the guy who bought my car money shifted on the highway, popped from 6 to 2 (LOL!!) and blew the engine. he pulled the trigger and paid, out of his own pocket, 30k for a brand new engine. the engine still has a warranty until September this year!! i've been daily driving her since (but kept in the garage in the winter and drove my 330) and i don't regret it since..car keeps me broke though lol

oh and i'm a head cook / kitchen manager in 2 restaurants
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2005 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG - Tired of driving a 2 door sports car with no back seat with my 350z. Went looking for a 335i, ignored at the dealership, walked over to Mercedes Benz and decided to spend the extra money on a CPO'd fully loaded E55 with 9,000 miles on it. Dyno'd with 562WHP on 91 octane.

2011 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG - Wanted a more nimble fun car without sacrificing power and torque. Found this gem with 10k miles on it.

I'm a IT Director of Infrastructure for a Higher Education solutions company. Also do Network/Cloud based solutions and consulting as a side job.

No degree - Married - No kids - Lots of certifications

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1999 E39 BMW 540i - magic car which I have thrashed all over the USA for the last 4 1/2 years, cruises at 70 mph at 2000 or so rpm, rides smoothly, comfortable, great handling for a large/medium sized car, excellent steering feel, light and nice to do the occasional drifting around corners in.......... just a magnificent old GT. 125,000 miles to date. Of the dozens of cars I have owned or those I drove of my late Dad (GMH, Opel engineer) before, this is my favourite... just an old beauty

2005 Porsche 996 Turbo S - just got it, quick, hard ride, well grounded, plenty of grip, tuned to 430 awhp ATM, with some GT2 mods and about to get more mods from Tim941NYC.... nice car for the windy roads out here in Quogue/Southampton but very hard on those crappy NY highway roads such as the LIE and 27 (Sunrise).

I am a semi-retired bum, former derivatives prop trader (CSFB, Deutsche Bank etc), the missus has all the loot now
    Last edited by Group.america; 04-30-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: adverbs, fooking wireless key board
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice rides and stories so far guys! Love it
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    2004 BMW 330Ci M-Sport Cab - my first car. NFS Most Wanted's M3 GTR made me fall in love with BMWs, in particular the E46. i got my first 10k for a down payment a month before my 16th birthday, and i was in the market for an M3. my dad advised me against it though because of the high maintenance, there was no way i could afford it. then one day he showed me this beautiful, cleeaaaaannnnnnn 2004 330 vert, had all the options. space gray on black interior with brushed aluminum trim. oh man. i fell in love right on the spot. i gave my dad my savings and had the car financed in his name (but i paid for everything), and man what a car. to this day i love that car and i used to drive it hard, and it was my DD. kept up maintenance and never once had an issue. plus convertible! car has 46k on the ODO at the moment. still stock and completely original, and car is paid off.

2007 BMW M6 vert - bought the car july of last year. this time i'm financing the car in my name with my dad as a cosigner. at this time i was actually in the market for a 650i vert. i love my 3 but it's not an M3, and i need a big car. with all the hard work i've been putting, i needed something to enjoy. so i went to the dealer and saw a space gray 2008 650 convertible i was going to buy, but then sales guy pulls me to the side and tells me the story on this 2007 M6 vert 6MT (holy $#@! a manual M6 convertible) in Sapphire Black and Portland Brown (holy $#@!!!!!), one owner, perfectly maintained, no warranty. then he shows me the service record. man the story this guy told me. apparently the guy who bought my car money shifted on the highway, popped from 6 to 2 (LOL!!) and blew the engine. he pulled the trigger and paid, out of his own pocket, 30k for a brand new engine. the engine still has a warranty until September this year!! i've been daily driving her since (but kept in the garage in the winter and drove my 330) and i don't regret it since..car keeps me broke though lol

oh and i'm a head cook / kitchen manager in 2 restaurants
    Well done, keep up the hard work fellow M6 owner Click here to enlarge
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have an Engineering degree (Communications Electronics - radar/commint etc), then management and finance, was RAAF Officer then inv bank/hf trader.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

2008 135i- Wanted a fast and small BMW. Wanted a convertible. Voila.

2010 335i- Wanted a car that wouldn’t try to kill me in the winter. Wanted a second BMW. Voila.

2003 Honda Accord- When it’s gross out or when I just DGAF. It’s an outstanding car, to be honest. Doesn’t get driven much at this point but in 90K+ miles, the ONLY hardware part that has failed was the alternator.

Background is in law and poli-sci. Graduated and worked in that field for a while, was fortunate to do fairly well at the time. Now doing scouting, which pays less but is much more rewarding for someone of my age.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostedmaserati Click here to enlarge
    Well done, keep up the hard work fellow M6 owner Click here to enlarge
    thanks man Click here to enlarge feels good all that hard work pays off
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rawad1017 Click here to enlarge
    thanks man Click here to enlarge feels good all that hard work pays off
    Damn sure does. Two years ago I was broke driving a Trailblazer LS lol. Busted my fat ass, got in the Corps where all my bills are paid and making good money. Anything nice in life requires work, makes it worth it.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Marines are good people, spent a lot of time in the outback NW Aust with the Corps

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Marines are good people, spent a lot of time in the outback NW Aust with the Corps
    Thanks for the kind words, I hope to visit Australia, my father loved it there.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2009 135i - First car I bought on my own, previously drove a Subaru hand me down from my parents. The baby bimmer made sense, ticked all the right boxes for a fast small coupe with a lot of potential, at a price range I was happy with. Eventually went FBO with it, man what a little red rocket of a car, lots of great memories with it Click here to enlarge

2011 1M - Loved the car because it had everything I wanted that my 135i didn't have. Bought it because this happened to my 135i :

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Black ice at 60+ and telephone pole don't mix well. Walked away with only a couple bruises, true testament to how safe the little bimmer was.

My degree is in physics but do the daily grind as a sales engineer to pay for this addiction Click here to enlarge
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

2012 VW GTI
    I was doing a 65-70 mile round trip commute mostly in traffic to work. I always loved the GTIs and I wanted something that was fun to toss around, was turbocharged, was moddable, and got good gas mileage. While the stock car was slow, a tune/downpipe/intake made it a pretty fun daily driver. Getting anywhere from 27-31mpg on a tank beating the $#@! out of it helped. Had this 5/12-4/14. Was a great commuter car.

2014 Ford Mustang GT
    Last May I moved to a new apartment that was walking distance to my office (and train) so the car sat a lot and was used as a grocery getter/weekend car. At that point I realized I didn't really need to worry about having a "practical" car with good MPG, that could fit 4 adults and would be fine in the snow. Plus all the city driving/1-4 mile trips I was getting ~18-19mpg anways.

So I went and got myself a mustang. always loved Mustangs, had an '02 v6 back in highschool/college. Didn't want anything extravagant so I got a brand new base model GT for cheap with just sync and M6 (first manual too). It's cheap and a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the GTI. Plus if I want, the power potential is really high and no more worrying about pesky FWD.

Been working as a "Search Engine Optimization strategist" since i graduated college in '10

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^^love 5.0s. If I didn't live at 6,500ft, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

I chose the E92 M3 because I like quick and easy forced induction builds.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm on my 4th BMW now and 3rd e46. I started off with a 323i (totaled) next a 325ci (lemon) then a z4 2.5 sport (beautiful car and my favorite but too slow...I regret selling) now I'm in a 2004 cb/cinn m3. Before I got it I was looking at an 07 Tahoe, silverado, 06 Titan, wrangler jk 4door and an 07 335. I wanted to do something different because I have had 3 bimmers, but I was scared to leave lol. I came across enthusiast auto group in Ohio saw my car and scheduled a test drive and the rest is history. The only car I didn't test drive was the 335 and I half way regret it but oh well I know I made the right pick.
    Mods so far: euro headers, dyno tuned by Brenton brown at Forza tuned, csl trunk, subframe, upgraded diff (stock 3.62 gears but at someone BMW updated the m variable unit), afe drop in filter, csl diffuser rogue el diablo, I had a csl 2 piece lip but that was destroyed by a raccoon.

Im a full time student at the university of Louisville and work part time at menswarehouse. The majority of my money goes to the car lol. I didn't realize how expensive it was to maintain a M car when I first got it... Hind sight I would have gotten a truck lifted it and a bike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol only you Sticky. I chose my E92 M3 because I wanted a V8 M3 and DCT made my dick hard lol. I wish I still had it.
    Because racecar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast