Close

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    but it does, clearly, like i said i'm down 75 and the only reason i'm not down 100 is i made a popular post on this very subject (which happened to net me somewhere in the range of -30 in the first place) ED: ok back down to nearly negative 100 in the last 24h)

if i have never complained i guarantee within 10-14 days i would have been in the negatives from whoever(s) appears to be targetting me, and effectively banned.. ED: actually at this rate it's still going to happen, i'm getting +ve from a fair few lower power users, but the higher power user/s are still outweighing it, just watch, i almost guarantee it's still going to happen. a couple of weeks. tops.

actually, i was over 400 at one stage, something like 410-420, so i have received in excess of 200 negatives (largely, but probably not entirely, baseless i believe) in the last 1-2 weeks.

it's not just about the individual no-sense negs.. it's about repeated systematic neg repping from a high power user(s) who has(have) simply taken a dislike to you

ED: now one clearly from someone in particular just took me from 295 down to 280 (so 30 rep power) on a post that really genuinely didn't deserve it.

my posts are 99% positive contributions (except for the recent rep point stuff and arguing with LM when he attacks) yet it's a net decline.
    After further review, the vast majority of your neg reps are all coming frequently and at full power from the same person so you have a valid point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Neg power is already set to half positive but I'll think of what else I can do to combat pointless neg reps.
    yeah i know, but when you get to the upper echelons of rep power, say 30, 40... that's 15 neg rep to a single person every 10 reps, you can make 35 or 45 reps per day, so 3 or 4 *15/20 per person per day if you so choose, 45 per day for the first number, very day.. or if they neg you as #1/35 then they could squeeze in 4 negs a day for 60.. i'm not saying anyone doing it has gone to such effort to maximise negative input, i'd actually find that hilariously dedicated Click here to enlarge.

it's an EXCELLENT system for the lower end, lower repped people repping other lower repped people, nice steady slow increase - awesome!

higher repped people banishing the troll accounts, just like a mod would, awesome!

however.. yeah. as in other post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I looked into it and one of the "powerful" users you are complaining about hits with you negs and positives so it's a bit confusing.

I don't think there is a pattern of negative there although there are negatives.

For better balance what I want to do is if you intend to negatively hit a user you already negatively hit within X amount of days it will cost you X rep points plus their rep power to do so.
    i only REALLY have one user in particular in mind, though the values i've seen are occasionally higher or lower of course as i'm getting deserved negs from time to time obviously.. and some of the high power negs that are deserved could well be balanced out by them liking some of my posts and +ve repping me, i'm not complaining about that at all as it's a completely legitimate function of the system.

that makes sense, and very well could work. though it sounds fairly complex to implement correctly.. and the super high power users that have taken a serious dislike to anyone could still see merit in sacrificing their own rep points to crush another user

the remedy to this would be to increase the cost if negs are frequent... however this would remove the ability to LEGITIMATELY neg rep troll accounts or people who are genuinely being douchebags.. OTOH, the rest of the userbase would theoretically be taking action by this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

After further review, the vast majority of your neg reps are all coming frequently and at full power from the same person so you have a valid point.
    cool, thanks for confirming it's at least someone in particular Click here to enlarge, don't care who, i'll always have my suspiscion, but i'll always dole out +ve and negative on a post by post basis, not a user basis... as long as i can help it lol.

by full power do you not mean at 'half rep power' or do you just mean they're negging me at the max they can every time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

the remedy to this would be to increase the cost if negs are frequent... however this would remove the ability to LEGITIMATELY neg rep troll accounts or people who are genuinely being douchebags.. OTOH, the rest of the userbase would theoretically be taking action by this point.
    I mean rep power could be factored in here as well. If it costs that users rep power to neg them again a troll account with 0 rep power has 0 net effect then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

by full power do you not mean at 'half rep power' or do you just mean they're negging me at the max they can every time?
    Max they can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I mean rep power could be factored in here as well. If it costs that users rep power to neg them again a troll account with 0 rep power has 0 net effect then.
    so say you had 50 rep power.. 5000 rep points... there would be some cost to that users pool of 5000 or am i entirely misunderstanding?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Max they can.
    ok good then haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

so say you had 50 rep power.. 5000 rep points... there would be some cost to that users pool of 5000 or am i entirely misunderstanding?
    Yes cost to use those points.

Say if that use was trying to neg rep someone with rep power of 10 again it would cost them 10 points, something like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes cost to use those points.

Say if that use was trying to neg rep someone with rep power of 10 again it would cost them 10 points, something like that.
    mmm could be a decent deterrent to a lot of people.. though like i said, say they have 5000 rep points and are wanting to neg someone down from 300 to zero... they still could it they wanted, at that point 300 negative to them might seem worth it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

mmm could be a decent deterrent to a lot of people.. though like i said, say they have 5000 rep points and are wanting to neg someone down from 300 to zero... they still could it they wanted, at that point 300 negative to them might seem worth it
    But you could set it to multiple the amount so it grows geometrically. 1 extra neg rep takes 10, second takes 20, then 40, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

But you could set it to multiple the amount so it grows geometrically. 1 extra neg rep takes 10, second takes 20, then 40, etc.
    that's what i was thinking before... no downsides you can think of to this? i think i had some before, but can't think of them now lol. hopefully it would be enough of a deterrent that the occasional malicious neg-rep would be overwhelmed by the +reps in the interim.

need a warning box i'd guess so no one accidentally does it non-maliciously?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

that's what i was thinking before... no downsides you can think of to this? i think i had some before, but can't think of them now lol. hopefully it would be enough of a deterrent that the occasional malicious neg-rep would be overwhelmed by the +reps in the interim.

need a warning box i'd guess so no one accidentally does it non-maliciously?
    I don't see any downsides. We'll figure it out once we get there, lot's of other things taking precedent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I don't see any downsides. We'll figure it out once we get there, lot's of other things taking precedent.
    cool Click here to enlarge

i'm sure there is haha, i won't complain again now unless i start getting below 200 lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

and in the same thread that said person started, and he thought he can troll without reprimand, isnt that the point of the rep system?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    and in the same thread that said person started, and he thought he can troll without reprimand, isnt that the point of the rep system?
    The point of it is for community moderation not single person moderation.

There definitely needs to be some balance added.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Get used to it, it is frustrating when you get a baseless, no sense Neg Rep, but if you continually contribute in a positive way, it won't matter.
    Heh. Bull$#@!. I've gone from 450 down to 320ish all because I called @LostMarine a man-child/troll when he was being one. That's an attempt at suppression of dissent. It sucks, because I like to think I positively contribute to this community, but w/e. If I get neg-repped bad enough to where I can't post (at this rate its going to just take a few more days), I'll just go elsewhere and not post here anymore (and so will others if/when it happens to them).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Heh. Bull$#@!. I've gone from 450 down to 320ish all because I called @LostMarine a man-child/troll when he was being one. That's an attempt at suppression of dissent. It sucks, because I like to think I positively contribute to this community, but w/e. If I get neg-repped bad enough to where I can't post (at this rate its going to just take a few more days), I'll just go elsewhere and not post here anymore (and so will others if/when it happens to them).
    Relax that's not going to the happen and the point of the system is not to systematically target the same person.

If all of a sudden dozens of members have problems with you due to your posts it makes more sense for you to be neg repped than 1 person who holds a grudge. I'll figure out how to balance this.

Just bring issues to light and we'll work on resolving them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Could it be based on per thread? So only 1 neg rep per thread?
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    Certainly. But I don't like this idea as much. But it could be combined with other aspects for more control of negging.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    I don't think that's inherently a good idea. I do like Sticky's idea about the next one costing extra rep (based on the rep of the person your negging again, maybe a warning about it too or something).

Thanks for addressing this Sticky. You've got a huge datamine here for this kind of stuff. I'd bet someone could get a PhD thesis going with it; behavioral sciences or something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I guess I don't have any problems with the rep system as I am just not in the rep ''race''. Win some, lose some, I don't care as long as I don't get banned. All I want to do is read. This is the only forum I am on and I understand the need to have a rep system as I have read of other forums where threads go way off subject, but after reading this page, I wonder why people want to have as much rep as possible. Anyone feel free to answer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alex325i Click here to enlarge
    I wonder why people want to have as much rep as possible. Anyone feel free to answer.
    Power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Power.
    Don't know about that.
    I know for me it was more of a sport getting as much rep as possible at the time.
    At the moment I just don't have the time any more to do this.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Don't know about that.
    I know for me it was more of a sport getting as much rep as possible at the time.
    At the moment I just don't have the time any more to do this.
    You've got plenty.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast